What is Penhaligon

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Williams Warrior, Jul 1, 2010.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I doubt they would ban you for being opinionated. However you should consider that the high end stuff generally lasts six months to a year. It's like anything else. I could spend fifteen bucks for a pair of trousers at Wal*mart, but if I have to replace them every six months, are they really cheaper than a seventy dollar pair of jeans that will last for five years or more?
    Like JoAnna said, and she should know cause she runs the Shave Den Store all by her lonesome, quality makes a difference. I have a friend that drinks the cheapest vodka he can get his hands on and I only drink single malt scotch. We both drink for the "experience", but we have somewhat different goals. I savor the taste, he savors the drunk. Because I have expensive taste, I can only afford two bottles a year.

You owe it to yourself to at least try a high end soap once in your life. I would recommend Trumper's it's about $30-35 in the hardwood bowl. Used properly it will last at least six months. for less than 20 cents per day, that's a bargin in my book. My Maca Root shave cream is only $16 at The Body Shop, but it only lasts for two or three months so Trumper's is cheaper for me to buy in the long run. Besides, you only have to replace the bowl every 10-20 years.

2. olblueyez

olblueyez New Member

Penhaligon??? Well of course it would be one Penhaligons.

Creed is were you really set fire to money. Sugary Douche Water in my opinion.

Penhaligons has a few scents that were fantastic 50 years ago and will still be fantastic 50 years from now. I can't think of one single fragrance I rather use than Blenheim Bouquet and I will be going down for a $360 Falcon of the BB and some soap in the near future.

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Going down, eh?

See what I mean about dedication; some people will do anything for a good shave. Seriously, though, if something has remained popular for over 100 years, there is a good reason for it. Penhaligon's is a classic and one of these days I will try it. Maybe when my Trumper's runs out.

4. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

Penhaligon's is great. Especially EF and Blenheim Bouquet. I will tell you though, I am a huge fan of Cade. Specifically the aftershave balm that comes in the aluminum tube. It reminds me of a toothpaste tube from the past but it works and the scent doesn't overpower any cologne you may want to use. It's my favorite and I have a lot of more expensive brands like CF and Penhaligon's. I liked your new set-up. That should do you fine for a while. Ofcourse you'll want to branch out eventually if you're hooked like we are!

5. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

Penhaligons

Must admit to buy my fair share of Penhaligons over the years as you can see, But not only is the soap good the bowls are not bad either.

Also when you talk of expense where is the Justice in Occitane charging $30 for empty tin bowl for there Cade puck?

But however you look at these things I still think if you enjoy them the are worth what ever you are prepared to pay. As when I pay $55 for my Penhaligons soap and it arrives by fed ex all gift wrapped in a cardboard box that is well padded enough to transport bone china I'm kind of happy and over the years this never fails to make me smile.....

And after all the soap last for about a year (well it does me anyway) so the cost over a year is nothing

Attached Files:

6. gman41

gman41 Member

My Motto

My motto is it does'nt have to be exspensive to be good. But I make no judgements of those who are willing to spend. As someone who markets low end creams I can say the sword cuts both ways with the big spenders making negative remarks about Arko and others in that price point. I ask the question, which way is more of an insult. The average guy who maybe does'nt have that kind of dough shocked at people spending it on soap, or the guy who has the money dismissive of people using such low end products who maybe would like the luxury, but cannot.

In the end I often ask the question is it realy the money spent, or the proper application with a brush no one else uses in the main stream consumer Walmart world.

There is a difference between the Arko level creams and say this product and others at it's price point. No questions about it, they are better. Is it for me, would I drop that coin on it, no. But then again I am thrifty about everything in my life, cut my own lawn, do my own brake jobs etc. To each his own I say.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes they are better, and that is the point.

I would say that if the average shaver used the money that they saved by not buying the latest and greatest "cough" cartridge razor and it's weekly five dollar (Schick or Gillette) collection plate handout, they would have more than enough to indulge in the finer soaps and creams.

To me, the amount of money people spend on cartridge razors, cartridges, shave gel, and soothing balms for blade burned faces, shock me.

Since switching to DE and straight razor shaving I spend less on shaving while spending more time shaving, and I actually enjoy myself. Low end does not mean the same thing as low quality as I'm sure most users of Porazo would agree. As one cheapskate to another, do you offer a discount for forum members? Just kidding. I have already added your store to my favorites tab, and I think you will be getting a holiday order from me in the near future.

Where else but in his shave can an ordinary man afford the same things a king can?

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I don't like to intensionally throw money away....My favorite daily soap is the Arko Shave Stick, because its great. Its also around a dollar for a couple months worth of lather...I also use Rapira Super Stainless blades, which around here cost about half of what Astra SP's cost, but I have a genuine preferance for this blade over Astras, not because of price...On the other hand, I don't think twice, paying for Guerlaine's Habit Rouge, because I love it...Not because its used by nobility, or considered elegant, but because I love it...None of these things, do I use because of their price...Its because I love how they perform...My favorite brush is an Omega that cost me less than $15...and its my favorite because; it doesn't shed...its great with hard soaps...great with creams...holds water for the whole shave,,,feels great when I scrub with it....its small and easy to get the lather where I want it...and for many reasons...The price was just pretty cool, but if I had to pay triple I'd be happy with it....Am I making any sense ?

I'm also looking for Floris No 89 and a bottle of Guerlain Jicky EDT...I do believe these scents along with many others are great and masterpieces in complex colognes...but I also think Old Spice original is a masterpiece in after shaves. And I use Arko products everyday because I think they are the best: The Arko Shave Stick and Arko-Nem Soft Lotion-unscented moisturizer...And when I need a splash to seal a shave I love Arko Aqua AS Splash. So I don't think the Guerlains, Floris, and Pennhaligons replace the others or are better, but each is better at what you use them for...

But because of the nature of a complex cologne that has a fasinating dry-down, great sillage and good longevity, the ingrediants and time it takes to produce these results, does tend to put the price up there...But theres no way around it... its great when you find a scent that enriches your day, just like finding a blade or razor that can enrich your shave...

9. gman41

gman41 Member

The Average Guy

Guys here are the exception rather than the norm in my belief. True hobbyist if you will. Most guys who I convert and turn on to the brush look at it as shaving, nothing more. They just want to feel better when done or have an easier shave each morning. These might be the guys who can't believe 65 smackers for a shave cream or soap. Anything but the canned and hand method is better for them. A dollar can of shave cream to a 10.00 tube of Proraso or Bigelow is a big jump. A 2.69 Arko is exotic.

Fads are another issue, most guys will jump on the Polo, Drakkar, Addidas, what ever the hot name is at the time before they consider any products we know of or use. For these they will pay without questioning it. In the end if someone wants it, they will pay for it and not feel bad about it.

It's Just a matter of whats important to the person we are talking about.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I can afford some of the good stuff as you call it, but who wants too? I can get just as good comfortable and enjoyable a shave from my cheaper stuff anytime. Maybe even better then some people with their high end stuff. I have been rebuffed before and will be again I am sure, but it is shaving people. Not rocket science. Yes I understand people like the nice scents.. but that kinda money for a shave soap.. not to mention a after shave or cologne. That is just crazy. But then again I like the Micro Matic Open Comb which proves the YMMV thing all around, :D

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    gman41, I can't believe you used the word "fad"and "Polo" in the same sentence.:shocked003 Of course I might be a bit biased, since I started working at Polo Ralph Lauren in 1999 and still work there today. In my experience, at least 80% of the people who shop at Polo do so because of the quality and timelessness of the clothing. They also tend to be well-heeled, upper crust, preppy individuals. I refuse to spend $20-30 on deoderant and truly wonder at the man who does so.

You do have a point about the fad crowd. I purposely shop for niche fragrances rather than popular fragrances because I don't want to smell like everyone else. I also avoid the cheaper, readily avalible fragrances for the same reason. And yes, I would consider Penhaligon's Blenhim Bouquet to be a niche fragrance, aftershave, soap, and cream as well as a somewhat exclusive product. I also loved the smell of Old Spice when I was younger, but avoid it because in the words of sucessive girlfriends, "You smell like my dad."

Shaving for me is not a hobby...its a way of life. So yeah, I'm a self confessed "Hobby Shaver" and I indulge in my hobby on a daily basis. If I could find a shaving cream that was as good or better than the creams I use now for a cheaper price, I would switch in a heartbeat. Until then I will continue to use my Maca Root Shave Cream from The Body Shop and mix it up a couple times a week with my Trumper's creams.

Shaving creams are not a status symbol to throw in someone's face, they are not a logo, brand, or billboard. If someone uses them, it is because they work. When a brand has survived 100 years, it's because it is a good brand that has stood the test of time. Without the excellent English soaps and creams we wouldn't have a yardstick to measure all the rest against.