What is the best cheap brush ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by newb, May 13, 2010.

1. DonR

DonR Active Member

For less than 10 bucks, check out the Shea Moisture Ultimate Shave Brush at Target. There is another thread in this form regarding this brush. I picked one up and have used it a couple of times. Performs pretty good for the price. In one of the other forms, they confirmed that it is indeed 100% badger hair.

DIRECTIONS TO FIND BRUSH BY YOU

1.)go to http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Ilxi75VkAWC-tg
    2.) in the search put shave brush
    3.) click find it at another target store
    4.) type in your zipcode and click go

A list should showing who has it in stock and what aisle even.

2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

With all the good words on the Omega 10029, I just had to try one.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Don, there is a redirect that doesn't work when I click that link, but I was able to go to the link below, and then follow the rest of your instructions to locate one for Bob. :)

1.) Click Target Link
    2.) in the search put shave brush
    3.) click find it at another target store
    4.) type in your zipcode and click go

4. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

One thing to note is that boar brushes take longer to dry than badger brushes. I usually use an Omega or Semogue boar brush at home, but my travel brush is a C&E Best Badger.

eric.

5. AxelH

AxelH New Member

I had an Ever Ready boar. It's an okay brush (don't have more than one boar). Then I got a gift, a razor (custom handled mach 3) and stand with drip tray and badger brush. It was flimsy, too few hairs and/or hairs too long. Too floppy, weak on soaps. Read on these forums and found the Kent plastic stand fits the economically priced Tweezerman. One of the best purchases I ever made. It's small compared to other badgers, but it holds all the lather I need (shave with a straight). It whips up a lather from creams and soaps fast and easy. I love it. I won't be purchasing another badger brush, or boar. I'm a Tweezer Man, man.

P.S. The shave set's drip tray isn't even stainless. Can you believe that? It rusted all over, big bubbly rust. I quickly scoured it with steel wool and applied the MAAS polish (I'd gotten these for cleaning up razors and ending the corrosion process). I may have even applied "Tuf-Glide" to it. Sad. Chinese or Taiwanese. The stand was bent to make the lousy badger brush slide off, the arm attachment that held the brush was also slanted down to encourage it to slide off. I had to bend both the stand-pillar and holder back, luckily the metal was weak, yet soft and pliable enough not to break. Hate the stand, don't like the Mach 3 system, don't like the brush. Anyone want to buy a shave set?

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey Bill, remember I was singing the praises of a great cheap Turkish brush the Banat ? Well it blossemed out beautifully, but its diffinatly a shedder...I've been using an Omega 10029 (which cost the same) daily for over a month now and not one boar hair lost in my lather, or sticking to my razor...Used the Banet yesterday to see how it was doing and it dropped 3 hairs on the first cheek, I stopped and rinsed it out and grabbed the Baby Pro...the Omega has spoiled me and for less than $10...:))

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Funny how on some of the lower priced brushes if you get lucky you don't get a shedder, but at times the hairs fall out faster than my own.

OTOH, I rarely seem to read about the Omega's turning into shedders, says a lot about their quality to me.

May your Omega serve you for many years! :eatdrink047

8. Bird Lives

LMAO, "falling out faster than..." You killin' me...Thanks for the laugh,good wishes and advice...

9. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I found the 10029 Omega just a bit disappointing. It hasn't shed a lot of hairs, but it just doesn't want to lather up the way my other brushes do. Hey, for $15 including shipping I wasn't expecting much.:transport035

10. Bird Lives

Give it time...Mine didn't need a break-in but maybe some do...mine does lather like crazy though. Soaps and creams, and I've heard their quality is very consistant...Good luck with it and let us know how it works out,,,and just cause its inexpensive, don't let that lower your expectations. I would be surprised if it doesn't suprise you later...

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup!

12. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

The $9 Shea Moisture Brush is my #1 brush now. It does the do and it's black.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I agree with Phil. I would recommend The Dridecker to anyone now, new or old, to wet shaving.

14. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I saw this brush at my local cvs, but it was $8 and change.

15. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

I agree. :D

16. I just got back from a week at my Grandmothers in France, brought this one along. Absolutely perfect, cost me ten bucks, lathers well, and it dries out very well. Excellent size for travel.

17. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

There's myriad to choose from here and most are on sale. Even those that aren't will meet your price range:
    http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/boar.html

Gary's great to deal with and ships fast to boot. Just added Omega 81229, Pro 50107 and 13522 if you like bigger.

Ones I've used: Omega 81054, 81056, 10275, 40033, 50068, 50014 Travel, 71278 and 21047. The latter is my favourite of the bunch just right at $20 ( reg 22.99 ).

40033 is great value for it's price. Great with both creams and soap alike.
    Better than flaccid 1470 Semogue.

In general, don't let price fool you as higher price does not necessarily equate to a quality product. Here, Omega is quite the opposite in that it's affordable and superiour product in my experience.

18. Dave_D

Dave_D Member

Omegas are a great brush for the money, that would be my first choice in the under $20 range.

19. newb

newb Resident Newb

Omega 10048

Thanks for all the great advice. I went with an Omega 10048 , at first it was a little stiff, but after about a month of use it has become a great brush. I enjoy this brush more than my vulfix pure badger. And it was less than 15 dollars. I'm using the vulfix for travel as it dries much quicker than the boar. My next brush will be another omega, maybe the 10029.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Glad to read it your choice has worked out for you! :happy088