What is the best pomade?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Straight razor dandy, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have recently tried tres Flores and uppercut pomades.

The tres Flores is easily the WORST pomade I have ever tried. It smells pleasant and was cheap, but it holds very poorly.

The uppercut was pretty terrific. It smells fantastic (like light vanilla and coconut). The hold was very good (medium to strong). It has a medium shine and washed out easily with no flakes. I wished it was a bit firmer for my style, but other than that, it was terrific. It cost $17 for a 3.5oz tub, so a little on the high side. I would definitely recommend it, however.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

I'm not really interested in trying a million pomades, but suavecito and nostalgic intrigue me, so I may go for one or both of those. If anyone has any info on either, I would appreciate it.

I am looking for a firm hold that can easily wash out (my most sought after attributes). I prefer a great scent with a reasonable cost and no flakes. Shine level is preferred to be medium or low.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have used Dr. Jon's medium hold (Anne Bonney scent) and it works well, and washes out easily.
    Layrite is ok, but seems to be flaky.
    Baxter of California is harder to wash out.
    Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner has a weaker hold, buy my hair feels great - it also has a little menthol kick to it.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Has anyone tried "nostalgic homemade" pomades?

5. Straight razor dandy

6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Another vote for Layrite here! Not too mention, a girl that was cutting my hair even mentioned how nice it smelled. I prefer the water soluble pomades.

mrchick likes this.
  7. lab1dobie

lab1dobie Member

Layrite is my go to. Great smell and washes out easy.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. wasson

wasson New Member

I have been wondering what to use. I do not want any petrolium based pomades since I hear that they are hard to wash out of your hair. I kinda liked the Wal-Mart Equate they compare to American Crew.

9. Straight razor dandy

I highly recommend uppercut deluxe pomade.

Also, nostalgic handmade has some petroleum, but it must not be much...because it washes out super easy as well

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've found that Fisticuffs has been the best combination of price and performance for me. If price isn't a factor, I'd keep buying Imperial.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  11. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

My personal favorite, John Allen's.
    Water-based soft pleasant scent
    Hold well and washes out easy and clean. Only down side is price.

12. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

I have just gotten a tin of KingBrown Premium Pomade and I like it

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizurra and Straight razor dandy like this.
  13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

When I discovered the forums, I met someone else who was really into pomade and he kept giving me an endless list of recommendations. There's a guy who has seemingly reviewed every pomade under the if you're interested in watching but I personally went with Shear Revival Crystal Lake after sampling some pomades and after watching some reviews. I liked the ingredients and it supposedly had a really good hold.

Unfortunately every pomade I tried was incredibly painful to apply since it kept yanking out all of my hair and it wouldn't spread evenly. I had to shave off all of my hair after several failed attempts at applying pomade but nevertheless, the Shear Revival stuff seems like it would be great if all of your hair isn't falling out like mine.

Kizurra and Straight razor dandy like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Are you being serious??

I'm not sure, but if you are...how exactly did you apply the pomades?

Kizurra likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Damp hair, scoop out some pomade and rub it between my palms until it was closer to a liquid, rub my palms over my hair, them comb it back. Even the pomades I sampled that started out more as a liquid rather than a solid didn't go in evenly and ended up ripping out a lot of hair too. I might have had butter luck with a wide tooth comb but I never got around to buying one so my pomade has been sitting on the shelf for several months.

Kizurra likes this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Wow! I had no idea this could happen. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Kizurra and Demidog like this.
  17. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

John Allen's, no sticking or pulling of hair also dove sculpting paste for less expensive at most stores so easy to get. Both are water-based and washes out as easy an the application.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Demidog likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Yeah, you know the stuff you spread on toast? :D

Kizurra likes this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Ah. Figs.

PLANofMAN, wristwatchb and Kizurra like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i like the crown shaving co. hippie killer.works well. crown.jpg clear pomade also available .

Kizurra likes this.