What is the Oldest Usable Bottle of Aftershave You Have???

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Jul 22, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

well said Keith, good point.of course they could have been gifts the receiver didn't like and stashed them away..many things have survived today for that reason..

2. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

yea, you do have a point I guess I'm trying to build a large collection that way I will still have bottles around when I am older, currently I am 18 but I doubt when I am older those bottles probably won't be any good. I guess might as well use them now while they are good.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. myles wilson

u got any pics?

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

keep them in a cool dark place..they should last..most were stored in linen closets..

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would have to dig them out of my stash. Might take a little time. Most are in the thread on Old Spice and Avon aftershaves.

6. myles wilson

If you gotta dig them up, don't worry about it :)

brit likes this.
  7. myles wilson

I keep them on a shelf in my room in their original boxes (or at least the ones that have their boxes) I try to avoid the bathroom at all costs, Bathroom temps fluctuate constantly whenever you use the shower. I may just invest in a wine cooler one day. a lot of fragrance collectors on youtube have wine coolers for their bottles.

8. brit

brit in a box

you will want to keep them free of dust as well..wine cooler sounds good ,or a wine cellar..the boxes will deteriorate out in the open over a long period,especially vintage ones..depending on your climate of course..

9. myles wilson

let me say this lol. I am Georgia boy down here in south of the US and our humidity is ridiculous! just as bad as your winter season up north were you are. A few weeks ago I let a older relative of mine check out one of my vintage old spice gift sets, I left the box in my back pack inside his truck, and the damn box expanded. Now you tell me if that ain't bad

10. brit

brit in a box

ouch..cool dark dry place needed..:)..linen closet..

11. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I own a vintage bottle of Shulton Old Spice circa 1956-66 and it still smells fantastic. I also have a collection of vintage Avon aftershaves from the 1960’s-1990’s; many of them still smell fine.
    Other notable brands of vintage aftershaves I own and enjoy.
    French Leather
    Seaforth Leather
    English Leather
    EL Musk
    EL Spiced
    Old Spice Musk For Men
    Faberge Brut
    Hai Karate
    Black Belt

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  12. Landro

Landro Member

I ended up with a 1970's-early 80's Amway aftershave called Conga. Smells ok... Just a dust collector

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you keep the Aftershave/Cologne inside the house, and out of the direct sunlight(windows), Shulton Old Spice or various vintage Avon aftershaves should last a very very long time. I have plenty of Old spice from the 40's-50's, and Avon Spicy from the 60's, and they still smell fantastic.

14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I have several vintage Avon a/s from the mid 60s to the late 70s. Every one of them still smell wonderful. I have an English Leather a/s from the mid 60s that is basically still full and I'm guessing still very close to full strength. I have some, and just got more Clubman, Lustray, Jeris, Sandhals and Lucky Tiger a/s I need to do some looking into. I don't know, for example, when they switched from glass to plastic bottles and when scents were available, etc. Fun thread!

15. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I had this question upstairs for a while now and this seems like the best place to ask. Is there an ideal storage environment for aftershave and cologne to keep it usable for as long as possible? Also can they really "go bad"?

brit and Enrico like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Keep away from direct sun light an heat above ambient room temperature. Don't store in window, attic, bathroom or over heaters.

Yes, some can really go bad if stored badly.

:eatdrink013:

Jake Gibson and brit like this.
  17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

As Enrico said above yes they can absolutely got bad... The main two things that will kill them is changing/extreme temperatures, and air. Similar to liqueur you want to keep them in a cool constant temperature, and the more air in the bottle the faster they will turn.

I will normally decant the older stuff into some other smaller bottle if I am using it. That way there is less exchange of air in the original bottles. Once a bottle is nearing 1/4th left, all gets decanted out to avoid souring.

Enrico and Jake Gibson like this.