What is the status concerning "Shaveapocalypse"?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shave Fu, Apr 6, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Always a silver lining..woo

Shave Fu likes this.
  2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Seriously??? I like Dorcos, despite the fact that i 've had 100% weepers in 2 different blades. Oh my, i think bladeapocalypse might be closer than i think. Here in Italy, at this pace, in 5 years, we might be paying 50 EUR for 100 blades. Oh wait, we already do that if we buy Gilettes through Amazon!

<Back to planning my next blade purchase>. :yoda2

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

They used to be available on the web inside Korea but now I'd have to ship them international. My favorite blades are Iridium Super and fearing they would be discontinued I bought 1,000. That was before I picked up straights, now I use a DE once a week or when I travel.

4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Yeah, i 've read about Polsilvers, but 1) only one has them here and way costly for my taste (35.50 EUR for 100 blades), 2) I don't want another verysharp blade. I have 700 Astras + 300 Dorcos, all of which i consider dangerously sharp (in fact with Dorcos i have weepers, with Astra the one time i shaved i had none). Technically, if i wanted the best blade bang for buck, i 'd simply order more Astras. But, what i like is variety, not the "best every time". I will probably order 100 more Astras, but i am looking at the cheaper blades right now, plus, probably 200 Personna Reds. Right now, i found that in the female equivalent of "barbaebaffi", they have some interesting blades: SuperMax Platinum (a member in here proposed it to me actually), Treet 7 Days Platinum (i read very good things), Trig Silver Edge. Plus, Amazon always has the SuperMax SS for 6.8, which i think i will buy once more, just because it's so cheap. So, i am thinking of a final push consisting in Astra+Personna+Supermax Platinum+Supermax SS + Treet 7 Days Platinum. Blind purchase for the Supermax and Treets, but, so far, i can shave with any blade i 've tried, as long as it cuts more than Derby (and so far everything cuts more than Derby).
    Astra: 7.70 for 100, Personna: 23 for 200, SuperMax Platinum: 13.20 for 200, Treet 7 Days Platinum: 8.90 for 120, Trig Silver Edge: 15 for 200, SuperMax SS: 6.40 for 200. Technically, the Astras are best bang for buck, except for the Supermax SS. However, like i said, i think the for variety's sake, these are all good purchases. The Treet 7 Days Platinum, i just want it because of the nice green box, which looks like a "poor man's Gilette 7 o'clock Green". But i read it's a very smooth blade.

I want to have sharper and duller blades. Duller are more forgiving. I can make them give BBS all the same, just more buffing. The SuperMax SS was a pleasant surprise for me in this field. Very forgiving, but sharper than Derby and probably Shark SS.

I had thought of buying 100 Rapira Platinum Lux (they 're 15.40 for 100), but after finding this:
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rapira-platinum-lux-bad-batch.470984/

Rapiras are cancelled in my book. Paying double the amount compared to Astra is one thing. Having good chance of defective blades is too much. I 'd rather pay 1.4 times the price of Astra to get Personna Reds.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

That's kind of exactly what I'm saying, actually. I'm not saying there might not be some problems or significant hiccups as a result of diminished product availability in the market. I just don't think it's going to live up to all the hype, which most people focused on in Y2K, and similarly are focusing on (in my opinion) when discussing the shave apocalypse.

Having said this, reading this thread has made me aware that what's going on in Europe is apparently very different than what is going on in the US. God forbid that I become one of those "ugly Americans" who think everything is and should be the same everywhere as it is here. Pretty narrowminded, inaccurate, and not really my thing. ironically, I work in an industry where some of the major players have been bought by European multinationals who are indignant and unwilling to listen to why their business models aren't successful in the US. They just tend to not be so brash and garner so much attention from the media, but regardless of where we come from we are all flawed individuals.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. BaylorGator

Interesting. I found some guys who claim that Dorco's high-end blade compares favorably to a feather. I find that hard to believe so I bought a tuck. When I eventually shave with them, I'm sure I will report results to the 30 DC.

wchnu likes this.
  7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

It's always supply and demand. In the US, you will probably be the last to feel any difference. However, as demand falls, some blades will stop production or lower quality or increase price. The smaller markets are the ones that will feel first the effect. In my case, for a product that i know can be conserved for decades, at this point it's a no brainer to stock up now. Because i don't think our market is going to grow and on the contrary, i can see how feeble the local supply is and in the future we might have to rely exclusively to foreign sources. This only means higher costs too (aside the mail discomfort).

8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

You mean the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301? Or do they have a higher end one? Because i just shaved with the Dorco Prime STP301 and i had read about it being "supersharp", but as i wrote, i didn't see it and i actually think i found the ST301 a bit sharper. What i can say is that it DEFINITELY shaves similarly to the ST301. I can't believe for a moment that what i shaved today was Feather-like sharpness (although i haven't used Feather).

NickShaves on Youtube puts the Dorco Prime STP301 on par with Astra. It's where i put the ST301 too and the STP301 is very similar to me.

9. BaylorGator

I think that's the one, for you but I'd have to go check to be for sure. Either way I'm going to give it a try, but I suspect I will find what you did as well. There were just too many guys talking about how sharp this thing was, but they were probably a bunch of Dorco sales reps trying to whip up business for themselves.

10. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I shaved with this one:
    http://www.dorcoprime.com/dorco-prime-platinum-double-edge-blades/

Plastic tuck (Derby like), with 10 blades in. If it's that, i highly doubt that it's Feather sharpness, cause i had a very similar shave with ST301 (the red and white box) and although they are sharp blades (in fact, my jaw drops everytime i google and see people saying the ST301 is dull, or duller than Derby), i don't think it's something exceptional. I had quite a bit of problem to cut to BBS level some tough stubble today in difficult spots. But, for me, the ST301 is about Astra level sharp, but a hair below. And i 'd say the Dorco Prime is the same. Probably it lasts longer though.

Do post your impressions though, as i am a newb.

11. BaylorGator

That's it. Will definitely provide feedback when I use them.

12. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I will be waiting! :eatdrink020: Finally, someone willing to talk about blades in here. I spend more time reading about blades in other forums that i am not registered, than in here, because apparently all the gurus are gathered here and they are so above trivial things such as blades! :rofl:

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Americans already have to depend on foreign blade sources. I don't believe there's a single DE blade made in the US anymore. Israel, China, India, Egypt, Russia, Germany, Korea/Vietnam. (Is there one in Turkey?)

The 'Dollar General' and 'Family Dollar' blades are identical, and appear to be Dorco (Vietnam). I'll post up the review and comparison I did on dollar store blades (at least visually) later today. It'll be the same one I put up on B&B

Shave Fu and MR41 like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Personna Blue still made in USA unless I missed the news.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hm. So far, every Personna I've run across in the last year or two is made in Israel. Maybe I haven't seen those.

MR41 likes this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@Shave Fu - Don't throw the garlic at me, but why no straight;It does seem logical? And how is it the dark side?

Shave Fu likes this.
  17. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I don't care about production. I care about local shops where you can buy at good prices. We only have 2 shops here basically. That's not much of an offer nor competition. Which is why many order from Ebay...

Hahahaha! I am a DE newbie and you want to convince me that putting a naked blade on my throat is "logical"? :happy097: I am not known for my low risk/reward attitude! Why would i want to use a more dangerous razor, when i can get BBS/DFS with a DE? Just because of blades? I can buy more blades!

MR41 likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought with the "shavette sensei " thing you were already using shavettes.
    I tell ya though, for me if there weren't such a learning curve and time commitment maintaining a straight, I'd already be using one.

Shave Fu likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not hard to find online, branded either as Personna or Ted Pella. Personna Med Prep are also made in US.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

The "Shavette Sensei" is a moderator's joke, because of my hatred towards shavettes and straight razors. :angry019: :happy097:

Drygulch and BaylorGator like this.