What is the status concerning "Shaveapocalypse"?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shave Fu, Apr 6, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Oh, well that is a horse of a different color:kngt:

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Well, you said something about talking blades, what do you like?

Astra SP's are my all purpose blade. I like Pol-silver over feather because they're cheaper. i have to stay towards the sharp end of things because beard coarseness. I tried Voshkod by reccommendation, but I quickly had to chAnge it out; it was tugging like crazy.

BaylorGator and Shave Fu like this.
  3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I have Astra as my main blade too, together with Dorco ST301. However i find duller blades safer. You just need to insist more,but at the end they all work. I am also rather limited by local availability of blades, as well as my bang for buck built-in calculator, which prevents me to pay more than 3 times the price of Astra to get Gilette. I have so far: 700 Astra SP, 300 Shark SS, 300 Dorco ST301, 400 Supermax SS, 400 Derby Extra and Bluebirds and tucks of Croma Diamant, Personna Red, Dorco Prime STP301, Treet Platinum.

Treet Platinum was OK, but i wasn't particularly impressed. Dorco Prime didn't impress me compared to the simple ST301 either. Personna Red i found it the most balanced blade, but it was kind of rigid. Still, i will prolly buy 200 of them. I think my last push will be Astra + Personna Red + another pack of Supermax SS + Supermax Platinum + Treet 7 days Platinum + maybe Trig. I doubt Croma Diamant will impress me, if so, i will order it too. I don't look of the best blade, because if that was the case, i should have just Astra and Personna Red. I want a high-low mix of blades to rotate to break boredom. I have excluded everything Rapira related, because of QC issues, like i mentioned previously. The safest blades for me are Shark SS, Supermax SS (very difficult to cut) and Derby (because it's desperately dull) and then Personna. That's the end of the sharpness comfort zone. Astra SP and Dorco shave better, but they are more risky for nicks. I don't want anything sharper.
    These should last me up to my grave and in the meantime, if i become a pensioner and unable to follow any of my other hobbies, i may go on a Gilette rampage and just let the rest of my blades to my successors.

MR41 likes this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Nice stash. I wish I could find something a touch sharper than Astra, but also a touch smoother. I'm kind of gun shy about trying a lot of blades because several I've tried, have been miserable and then I'm stuck with the rest of the pack( like Voshkod).

5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I know a lot of people like sharp blades and some say the Voshkods are the smoothest,but i don't know. For me, the Astras give the most effortless shave, but they are more dangerous. I am more comfortable with medium sharpness blades, even if this means to make more passes. Luckily, i haven't found a blade so far that will give me big problems, which is why i don't shy from buying 100 packs. Well, Derby does give me problems, in the sense that it's so dull, that i must do 10 passes. But at the end, i can shave with it too...

Most people i 've seen say the Voshkod are the smoothests, but i 've also read complains about not being sharp enough or "collapsing" after the 1st shave. I don't know. Frankly, i 've written off any Rapira blade, after i read about QC problems and a company representative attributing it to counterfeit blades. Whatever the truth is, i don't want such a blade.

I guess you could search to Gilettes for sharper and smoother. I don't think there are other options. Derby is very smooth, but if you have tough beard, it won't cut.

MR41 likes this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Well, what your saying is what I've started to think. Have you tried any Sharks or Bic chromes and if so, what'd you think?

Shave Fu likes this.
  7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Shark Super Stainless yes. It's sharper than Derby for me, but still in the "dull" category. I don't mind because it's very forgiving. Very difficult to nick myself with it (hasn't happened). It's my "baseline blade". Derby is below the baseline. I call the Shark SS "the blade that Derby wanted to be". I think of the Shark like "the blade to shave when you 're tired or in a hurry, but that you will finish faster than Derby". But it's noway near Astra as sharpness. Shark Super Chrome currently is unavailable in Italy and in Ebay, like i posted earlier in link, the only source is either Australia or USA. So i don't think i will ever use it. I read though that most people either prefer the Super Stainless to the Super Chrome or say that they are very similar. So, i don't sweat about it.

Bic, i haven't used. I 've read reviews in a local forum, a polarizing blade, but most don't regard it highly. But most say that it's longlasting at least. The worst opinions as percentage and with the highest negativity, i 've seen them about Merkur and Elios blades.

MR41 likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I liked Nacet, yes.

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

How does Nacet compare to Astra SP?

10. Bookworm

I did a Russian blades review where I covered Astra SS, SP, Voskhod, Rapira, and Nacet. Rapira/Nacet were top, Astra SS and Voskhod were bottom. You can find it by searching for Russian blade review.

Shave Fu likes this.
  11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

12. Bookworm

I didn't post up because I'm in the middle of a few things, including driving from customer to customer. Right now writing in a Jack in the Box.