What is the status concerning "Shaveapocalypse"?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shave Fu, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I think, after my EJ DE89 arrives, if i find it non aggressive, i will just hoard some Weishis and DE89, plus blades, just in case. I will probably grab some Omega brushes too for spares. I just hope that soaps don't disappear, because i actually find making the lather and putting it on the face with a bit stiff brush, the most enjoyable thing about wet shaving. I read that badgers are much softer for example, than boar, when you put the lather on the face. I don't think i would like that. I like a bit of stiffness. The only thing about "blades" that i like, is that you can clean them well afterwards. With the cartridges, i can't ever clean between the blades. There are always soap and hair stuck in there. So, from a hygienic point of view, shaving with DE blade, is better. But what i really like is the shaving cream/lathering part and that you can rotate creams, with different scent, so you don't get bored and lathering the face is nice.

I hope you are not in Britain, because if you are and soaps disappear there too, maybe we should worry more. I sure hope we won't have to import shaving stuff from the US in a few years...

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm hope on end of the soap experts will jump in but I just keep the hard soaps dry and the creams sealed tight.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If I had to bet money, I would put it on Feather AC and Kai Captain blades. They are too prominent in the hair care industry to be affected by a downturn in traditional wet shaving. At least that is a guess.

4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Yeah, keep them sealed is the best bet. I saw no expiration date on the Proraso shaving cream and soap, so they must have some sort of preservatives in. But, once you open them, you have oxygen, you have bacteria from your face being transferred on the soap through your brush, possibly fungus in the air if you live in humid areas, etc. So, the soap will start to suffer. Just made my 2rd "little hoarding" order. By next week, i will have in total 4 tubes of cream, 2 Proraso soaps in tubs and i Arko stick. And i will arrive to 700 blades and 2 razors. I will probably buy more razors as spares...

Keithmax likes this.
  5. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I dunno. The place I went was a little store in a little town. Of course I don't know how much storefront business they do vs online sales. And I wouldn't also go all in. But you get the kind of people who go in for the natural soap and see the razors, might decide. I would only stock a couple of different razors and brushes and blades initially, but I don't think you need to be in yuppie territory to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

The Shaveapocalypse came and went in the 1970s. I'm preparing for the coming Shavenado.

Keithmax and COMPNOR like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

With Sharks?

8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Forgive the ignorance, but what's a "Shavenado"?

9. COMPNOR

It is a take on Sharknado. An awesomely bad sci-fi movie series. Basically in tongue in cheek.

BigMike likes this.
  10. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Ah, never heard of that sci-fi series... Thanks.

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I think Austin is down to one shave shop, Art of Shaving, in Barton Square Mall. I picked up a travel-size tube of cream (so the poor girl working there wouldn't feel bad), but I doubt I'll be back due to their outrageous prices.

12. COMPNOR

Its funny. I was looking at going and getting a block of alum from them until I saw their prices and decided against. There was also a sign outside saying they had the best blade prices. Ha ha no. Maybe when compared to Target or Walmart... It's sad really. I like the concept of AoS, but the prices kill me.

Shave Fu likes this.
  13. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Here it's even worse. Usually small shops try to rob you 90% of the time, not just about razor stuff, but generally speaking. However, our Amazon for example, isn't as good as the american one either. For instance, in my local Amazon, the Proraso Green is sold at almost 6EUR. My local supermarket that doesn't have anything else, BUT Proraso Green, sells it at 2.20 EUR. It's not that 6 EUR is something expensive in absolute terms, but it's the feeling that they are robbing you that makes me angry, because that's almost 3 times the price. I actually ordered 2 Prorasos (white and red) for 2EUR each from a specialized barbers' website. The Red in Amazon goes actually for 7.50EUR. I simply refuse to be robbed like that.

14. '65 G-Slim

After spending $18 for a travel-size tube of their shave cream, I didn't even bother to look at their blade prices.

15. COMPNOR

$6 for 5 Gillettes(forget which ones), $14 for a 10pak of Merkurs.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

Yoiks! I paid $26.28 for 100 Gillette Platinums, and I thought that was high. (The ones I ordered from Bulgaria, that never arrived, were 19.99.)

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

My attitude is that, for example, if an item costs $10 plus $5 shipping on Amazon/an online site, if it costs $13 in the store, it's a good deal, and I'm supporting the local person - and the tax base.

COMPNOR likes this.
  18. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

If you like.
    images-7.jpeg

19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Wetshaving is growing very quickly in the US, and has done so for over a decade. There is an expensive store chain called Art of Shaving that sells wetshaving supplies. They are growing rapidly, but US retail is rapidly shifting to the Internet. Many brick and mortar stores and shopping malls have become nearly deserted over the last few years, and a lot have closed. It is not only Amazon that sells shaving gear online. There are hundreds of online stores, some large and others small, that sell old school wetshaving products.

Wetshaving grew from nearly nothing in 2005 to being quite popular by 2010. There were some people who worried that it was just a fad, and that it might just as quickly disappear. If that happened, then most of the wetshaving products would no longer be sold. A few people started calling this hypothesis the "shavepocalypse". It was a bunch of silly nonsense, and based on fear and uninformed guesswork rather than reason and common sense. Occasionally, some people on the forums who should know better will warn of an impending shaving supplies shortage. It's not true. A shavepocalypse was never a realistic notion and won't happen.

Shave Fu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It could describe what she did to him and his shave den afterwards.

Sara-s likes this.