What is Your Current Favorite DE Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Medic_Coop, Jul 20, 2010.

1. RB73

RB73 New Member

Iridiums as my first choice, followed closely by Super Thins and Yellow 7's

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Thai SuperThins here closely followed by Vietnamese SuperThins and Astra Superior Platinums...

3. El Judio Afeitado

El Judio Afeitado New Member

Have you heard a rumor that the SuperThins are all from China? I forget where I came across it, but it's been said they all come from one factory and are packaged for the Thai and Vietnamese markets. :eek:

I hasten to add that I've heard mostly good things about these blades regardless of their origin.

Curious how manufacturers like to play the old cups-and-balls game with DE blades. (E.g., ASR will not cop to manufacturing what are commonly called red-pack Israelis.)

Anyone else have grist for the rumor mill?

4. LeGaulois

LeGaulois Member

Gillette Bleue Extra.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Just to show you how this whole blade thing is a highly personal preference...I have been reaching for my Gillette Super Thins the last few days instead of the Feather's or Perma-Sharps.

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I like more blades than I don't like. Here's My faves:

Feather, KAI, Iridum, Astra-both super and keramik, Shark, Dorco 301,
    and last but not least Ted Pella PFTE for my SE and will soon try in my new straight that takes SE-anybody out there every try a straight with a SE blade??

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I have Danny, a Weck Sextoblade, which uses a Fromm #105 blade.

I never really took to it, but my eldest son has taking quite a liking to it, and has been his razor of choice lately.

8. Dslazar9

Weck Sextoblade-sounds like a science fiction character.
    Is that what this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

No Danny, that is different than what I'm talking about.

This post shows the Weck lineup, with the one I have being the closest to the camera.

10. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Their blades are out of production, I guess?

11. Dslazar9

Cool. I think I've seen those at antique stores. You can put an SE blade in em?

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

While they are S/E blades, they are not the kind we traditionally think of like the Ted Pella blades, they are called hair shaper blades.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Me too. :D I have a sample pack coming (hopefully) this week.

14. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I started with the Israeli Crystals. I have either Egyptian Shark Super Platinum or Russian Super Iridiums to try next.

15. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I started with Merkur in my HD and hated them. I bought a sampler pack and found Wilkinson Sword Classics. They are the best I've had so far but I havent strayed much. Seriously considering grabbing some Astras and Reds.

16. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

The Feather is my all-time favourite blade.

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Astra SPs for me.

18. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Super Iridium

19. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Feathers to me, are overrated, and underwhelming. I can get a good irritation free shave out of them, but it takes more effort than other blades. I will admit, I have one blade, that has a possibility of topping my list (I've only used one at this point, but I am extremely impressed with it.) Perma-Sharp Super. Love my Iridiums, but if I can get 3 Permasharps, for the price of one Iridium at this point...

Bang for Buck, Astra SP is king for me. Premium blades, I like the Gillette Yellows.

20. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Astras, Asco, Voshkods, are my top three for the moment.