What is your most unforgiving razor...?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Parker R22 ain't too gentle either!

Douglas Carey and Primotenore like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The Parker Variant. That's why I resold it.

Primotenore and Yehuda D like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Judging by how many times it nicks, my Schick E2. But that's mostly because it's deceptive. I've never cut myself with my most aggressive razor, the Ikon Tech, because there's no escaping the need to pay attention.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and Primotenore like this.
  4. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

My Schick E-Type should be known as Ming the Merciless. Others love theirs. Mine stays firmly on the shelf. Sold all the blades and keep it only as a family momento.

I tried two different English Gillette Aristocrat #21s before realizing they were like driving a mountain road without a guard rail.

But French razors seem to almost corner the market on deceptive and and unforgiving. My LeCoq with the cage style guards had no mercy.

My LeResche 77 and my Gibbs adjustable are otherwise very smooth and comfortable shavers with hearts of darkness. I cut myself more often by bumping the razor along my face between shaving strokes and letting my mind gather wool than I do when actually trying make a shaving stroke.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im struggling with a red tip right now. I know my technique can improve but I didn't think it was terrible. 2 shaves in havent been horrible but haven't been exactly enjoyable. I was under the impression red tips were more aggressive but similar to early Aristocrats which I love.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Terry and Primotenore like this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good idea for a thread Joseph. I would say fro me it comes down to 2, but for different reasons. Number 1 would be iKon Shavecraft Closed Comb. This razor will cut you. IMO I should spend a 1 month focus with razor and different handles. I should be able to work it out. Number 2 is Above The Tie Bamboo Handle SE1. It looks good, it feels good, but I'll be darned if I can get the blade lined up properly. That can make for a very dangerous shave. I may give this razor a go next week. This razor is probably the worst razor purchase I've made, not to mention the most disappointing. IKOTECH_iKonSafetyRazorBamboHandle.jpg

AboveTheTie SE 1.jpg

Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Having an extremely unforgiving razor (2011 R41), makes me really appreciate the design of every other razor in my den all the more! :)

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

1918 Bull Dog. A pity because she's a real looker. Much more aggressive than my other old types. Still keeping her though.
    IMG_0726.JPG

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011:

BigMark83 likes this.
  10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Some of the early Koraat straights did indeed have lethal points at both the heel and toe. This one was beautiful, but would gut you if you weren't mindful of the points throughout the shave:
    [​IMG]

But in terms of a razor that challenges the shaver technically, I can't think of any other that requires the skill necessary to use the Feather AC without exsanguination. The head design of the AC vs. the SS makes for a much less forgiving shave...
    [​IMG]

mrchick, Douglas Carey and Jim99 like this.
  11. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Baili BD-177 , Chinese razor is my mildest, most unforgiving(!) razor.(sorry i made a word mistake. I meant forgiving)
    Well built and nice looking.
    I usually prefer mild razors. The most aggressive razor i had was Merkur Futur. Its sold already.
    I keep going with Progress and De89. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Oooh come on @bayercy please get real and don't make me FART out loud over a cheapskate Chinese razor to be the most unforgiving razor.

[​IMG]

Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a mild and an unforgiving razor.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have reached the point in life where my skin is starting thin a bit (yes, I am getting old) and ANY razor can bite me regardless how careful I think I am. That said the worst of the razors I have is the Schick E3. That sucker gets me every time

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Jrdelgado and Primotenore like this.
  15. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

For whatever reason Fine slant always tears me up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

16. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Shovel Head. It's a pure beast for me.
    I love it, but have to seriously have my shave technique in point.

17. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

For me it’s my razorock jaws. Haven’t been able to get a shave with less than 15 weepers from it yet. It seems to have anger issues

18. brit

brit in a box

my single ring and old types are rough for me. need more time to dial them ..

19. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

My valet. Wow. Like a knife fight and all I brought was the face.

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

My Cobra Classic loaded with a Feather Professional blade demands respect.....