What is your preferred shaving tool?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Jan 8, 2017.

?

What is your preferred shaving tool?

1. Cartridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DE

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. SE

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. SR

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Combination

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. None of the above...I have a beard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (describe)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm primarily a DE user but have been using a SE the last few weeks for grins.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

What, no cookies?

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Injectors are my favorite, then Artist Club style SE's. I have recently started playing with shavettes of various types and really enjoy them.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Used to use single or double edge disposables and Barbasol shave cream in a can. Never went 3,4 or 5 blade. What's the point? If one or two couldn't get 'er done a few more ain't gonna help. Now, it's DE all the way. No interest in straights. Anything called "cutthroat " you can have and are welcome to it.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nothing but straight razors. Sold off the majority of my new & vintage DE razors and a few SE razors a couple of years ago. I'll still work in an occasional DE shave every once in a great while. They're fast & efficient shavers- but to me, DE shaving lacks the overall process and procedures I find so appealing about SR shaving. Fewer nicks and considerably less irritation with SRs, too. No turning back for me. ;)

danbuter, preidy, Joe Ingal and 6 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I prefer straight razors. I will occasionally use other razors just for fun and some variety. I could see myself going to exclusively straight razors down the road.

danbuter, preidy, Joe Ingal and 7 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Other razors? Well you do have a few others. ;)

8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Lately I've been using my Schick type J with twin blades. Honestly so easy I feel like I'm cheating.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's a hole in my collection where a G Bar should be..Guess I need to fix that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's a great razor, nice size, weight and balance.

11. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

DE for me, wanted to graduate to straights, but with my medical condition I would be unable to continue to use in the future. That and the ritual of maintence. Not that I'm opposed to rituals, I'm a pipe smoker and as a group we all seem to have some OCD in maintaining pipes. I can only guess the same is true with maintaining straights.
    I'm happy with results with the DE , no more ingrown hairs and actually experience DFS/BBS shaves now. Not even close to what I received from cartridges, but understand many folks love carts and get the results they are looking for.
    For those using straights, I live vicariously through you!

danbuter, preidy, Joe Ingal and 5 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    DE mostly, but I do use SE. I think I prefer the injectors among the SEs.

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

DE for head shaves and a straight razor for my face.

14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

What does the PH stand for in Weber PH?

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I use DE and SSEaMy favourite DE razor is my Pils. When it comes to SEats hard to pick 1 favourite. I enjoy using the 1912, G Bar, Contour, Featherweight and the Micromatic open comb. They all give a different shaving experience, but are all equally enjoyable.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Rusty blade like this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Polished Head

Rusty blade and Carbide Mike like this.
  17. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

So far it's the 1912 Gem. But I have a vintage SR on the way and providing I don't end up cutting off one of my ears, that my be it.

18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello folks, I had my first shaves with a Gillette DE in the mid 1970's. Then after I graduated from High School, and joined the Army, I started using single blade disposeables. That went on for a long time until 6 years ago. I inherited a 1946/47 Gillette Aristocrat from a departed friend. He saw that I liked it when I saw it a few times, and he made arrangements to get it to me once he passed. That razor started me on this phase of DE shaving. And collecting. I have no desire to use a Str8. Although, I occasionally use an SE. I too have medical conditions that would preclude me from using a Straight. And eventually I may have to use an electric. I hope that day is a long time in coming. I only used a cartridge razor once or twice. Those expensive gimmicks never appealed to me either.

danbuter, Rusty blade, preidy and 3 others like this.
  19. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Shavette for me. I have many, My Parker fell apart (rivets pulled through ) and I used a blue disposable razor to make a quick handle because it had a perfect channel in the back, and it is like a kamasori style, short, and maneuverable. . Presses right on and off just like the clasp.

danbuter, Jayaruh, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  20. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I prefer DEs. I have one SE but rarely use it. I really cannot explain why, I just like the heft of a DE razor.

danbuter, Rusty blade, preidy and 2 others like this.