What is your preferred shaving tool?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Jan 8, 2017.

?

What is your preferred shaving tool?

1. Cartridge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DE

30 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. SE

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. SR

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Combination

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. None of the above...I have a beard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (describe)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use DE razors. I tried shavettes and straights and never caught the bug. I use a Trac II for my scalp.

2. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I use both a DE & SE. The DE is the go to when I'm on a time limit. I get just as good a shave as a SE without having to strop and it gets the hollows in the neck easily. Few weepers, a nic now and then, rarely get razor rash but was cut only once. I shave as much as possible with the SE which I cut myself a lot and usually get razor rash by the hollows of the neck. BUT the fun factor goes to the SE, continually striving for the perfect but elusive BSS with no cuts, nics, weepers or razor rash. Just my opinion.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Just a plain ol' safety razor for me. Usually an Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Gillette Slim adjustable.

4. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

H
    Have you tried a SE? I never tried a shavette because reviews said a SE is way better.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've tried a couple Gem type SE's. Wasn't impressed, but it may have been an underwhelming experience for the blades. Not much choice locally where I live.
    Schick injector SE's do shave well for me. A Type J was my trainer prior to a Pass Around of The Bunny. I find these give great reduction and leave me DFS every time. Easy to find the Angle of Attack.
    Shavettes are my current Focus. They are a compromise in that they have the straight razor form factor but don't require hones for long term maintenance.
    I have had the type that use 1/2 of a DE blade, will again. Right now a couple Weck shavettes are in my den. They take the longer blades - 57mm. I can get fresh blades from several shops in town. The thicker steel of these blades like the Schick Chick injectors hold an edge for more than the service life of DE blades.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

"Better" is pretty subjective. I can get as good of a shave out of a Mongoose as any razor I own, but using a shavette requires more skill and focus. Not sure one is any better than the other, just different.

There are also a lot of styles of SE, and they all offer a different type of shave.

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Razors don't matter much.
    Blades don't either.

Technique is the answer. Pick any tool and master it. BBS is BBS.

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Yes, but I have become a devout shavette fan. SE razors are a favorite of many, I enjoy being proficient at all ways of shaving. So I like mixing it up.

9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of variety! For a quick shave, I grab an injector. For a close shave that I have to pay a bit more attention, I grab a Gem. Other moods call for a DE, and hopefully soon I'll toss straights into the equation! Variety is the spice of life, after all...

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Care to share about your favorite shavettes and why you like them?
    I like my Weck, but there's many other options. Next one I purchase will be for 1/2 DE blades.

danbuter, Rusty blade, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I had used a Weck, but it wasn't for me. I have a Feather DX Artist club , Sanguine wood, Dreadnought 3 rivets. (3 is sturdy), MD Barber Artisan, Vick the Barber swinglock ( MD barber , Parker SR 1 ( junk ) , old Diane long blade, Luxury pro notched ( great for beginners or a quick shave ). Edges are guarded to prevent nicks, and ceramic shavettes I made . Irving barber has a very well built and unique design. I prefer my shavettes to take split DE blades. I am happy with the MD barber artisan. It has no handle, so it is like a kamasori style. Nimble and short. Great for the still using same hand. Had rivets pull through on the Parker so I put a disposable razor handle on it and it is fine. The Feather, is not for me, and I have my eye on a Irving. :). I like the maneuverability of the DE style.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've never tried a shavette. I've used and love my DEs, SEs, injectors and SRs, but never tried a shavette. Maybe it's time!

As another poster said, variety is the spice of life!

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Predominately my stable of DE's but occasionally I grab my Schick injector. But I do like the cool factor of straights.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Except for a NOS Valet Autostrop, which I have never used, I own only DE razors. I am, however, very interested in giving SR shaving a try. Not in 2017 though. ;)

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't be distracted by shavette chatter. It may seem daunting to consider stropping, later honing, and the approximate 100 shaves to Basic Mastery. Straights are much more forgiving that shavettes. It's the attitudinal difference between a big old dog and a nippy little one. They'll both bite, but you'll feel the straight coming. Shavettes can perforate the epidermis with no warning.

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Popsicle sticks and a DE blade?

17. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

For me, it's a toss-up between my Merkur 1904 open comb razor and my Schick Injector Type M. Both are great.

Rusty blade and Joe Ingal like this.
  18. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I was going to go with the shavette to see if I'd like SE shaving but I read SE & Shavettes were not the same.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'd agree with you - SE's and shavettes are different. Depending on who's defining the group SE covers many form factors. Single Edge as I see it is specific to Gem type razors - 1912, 1914, Damaskeene and the like. They take a blade like a paint scraper - one edge sharp, the other covered with a wrap of metal. I've come to calling Schick and others of their fame as Injectors for the way the blade loads. Shavettes are their own group, but with a few exceptions, they each have a specific blade to be used. In the broad category of SE a straight razor qualifies, but they are iconic and generally not included.
    While each type does have it's advantages and fans I believe most who've used a shavette agree - these will bite you. The open unguarded edge of a straight with a thin blade is challenging and fun to master. Also easier to maintain with quick swap blade changes.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Not even close.