what kind of blades do these slants use

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jake, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I found these 2 unusual slants and wish I could find a blade or 2 to fit them. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Light weight, nice balance, easy to open, but that blade design... what do you think?

2. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

A standard blade won't work?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jake, those look like Wardonias on steroids. Wow, those are unusual. I have never seen anything like them and I would not begin to guess at a blade for them. They are nice looking though.

4. Nairb

Nairb Active Member

Yeah, I'd try a standard DE blade. If it doesn't fit, you're not out a thing.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

See those 4 ridges on the bottom of the head? That's why the usual DE blades won't work in these -- without modifying the blades at least.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

unless the ridges aren't supposed to go through the blades and are just supposed to keep the blade at the proper curve.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

This is what I'm thinking.

Jake have you tried a standard blade?

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I did but will do so again this weekend & post my discovery. Thanks for the encouragement.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Jake, the pink and white one is a Neo-Lux and the other with the red tip is a Neo-Ras. Both made in West Germany by the same company that also made the Neo-Gam, Neo Gam Neorador and the Ebor. If you've got the Waits Compendium, click on N and look on page N-4 for the Neo models and click on E and look on page E-2 for the Ebor. If you don't have the Compendium, let me know.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razor's jake I hope jodys solution works so you can try em out. (nice answer there jody!!)

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool razors, Jake. Hope you find a blade that will work. I'm with the others, though, thinking a standard blade will work.

That, my friend, is why you are Gillette-i Master.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Jake, it would seem the blades sit on the ridges for the proper curve (thanx etoyoc) with the pins on the underside of the head to keep the blade fixed & centered....I think. I'd do the regular DE blade at least for curiosities' sake.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Certainly a couple of the most interesting D/E's I've ever seen, looking forward to reading if regular blades work.

Great job on the info Jody, as always. :happy088:

Do the names have any meaning to them?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    ummmm....the base plate looks upside down.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If the angle on the second picture were turned you would be able to see the connection to the handle. It has a groove that fits. This is why it looks so "unusual."

I am curious if it can take a standard DE blade and the 4 ridged elements are there to hold the blade to form and maybe would allow the blade to "float" so to speak.

Definitely interesting.

16. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

At first glance I thought that too, but when when you look at the third picture you can see the ridges have been scalloped to accept the blade alignment pins, if it was upside down there is no place for the alignment pins to go.

17. Queen of Blades

I'll take y'all's word for it. The pics are a bit dark, and we aren't shown every angle, for example the bottom of the base plate.

If they are put together correctly, they look like they'd be very ineffectual shavers.

18. Queen of Blades

What we can see of the base plate, the bottom looks like it has an area for the alignment pins. Not holes, but a recessed area.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, it sure is one big looking blade gap. Kinda scary if you think about it too much.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

OK, sorry I was unable to get the blades tested & photographed folks -- but the answer is -- a standard DE blade does really work in these unusual razors. Thanks for the encouragement & you are correct that the convex plastic bumps under the head hold the blade in place without the usual blade shaped holders. I should have time tomorrow to photo these aggressive looking razors with blades installed. And yes, Jody was correct -- the names of these razors is visible on the bottom of the handles. Thanks all!

Oh, and by the way, the razor can only be assembled one way, it is actually practically impossible to set this up with the base plate upside down. Pin "A" can only be inserted into hole "B" in one direction.