What makes a vintage straight valuable?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by gemmicro, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I often wonder what it is that sets the value of a straight. I'm not asking for values of individual straights, but rather what makes one worth more than another? condition? manufacture? age? Can anyone explain this?

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Blade width, scale material, steel quality, design, hype on forums, history of maker.

entropy1049 and fram773 like this.
  3. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

any examples?

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yes. "Blade width, scale material, steel quality, design, hype on forums, history of maker". :)

As to particular razors I think Wade & Butcher is a great example.
    It's a brand with an almost cult-like following.
    First of all they made some amazing razors, but due to that recognition and 'following' their razors do sell at a higher price point than sometimes would be warranted if it was the same razor made by a lesser known manufacturer.

5. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

See this is why I don't get it. Look on eBay at completed listings they sell for under 20$ a lot.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Why they sell 'cheaply'
    a) They made a LOT of razors and there are probably 50+ of them for sale at any given point - that keeps the prices down a bit
    b) Many of them are 100 years old and show some very bad hone wear and people in-the-know (i.e. people that bid up on things) stay away from them

Why they sell for a lot
    Blade width, condition and photos plays a huge role on eBay.
    c) People seem to really like the very wide 'For barbers only' blade. Those tend to go for the most money,
    d) Condition matters a lot - the ones with a blade in great shape will immediately attract attention,
    e) Since it's such a well known brand more people will spend time and effort restoring them and sell them, and
    f) Sellers that take 'glamor photos' of their razors will attract a lot of buyers.

Unscientific numbers below:
    Since there are so many razors for sale you'll see 75% of them fall into category A 'sold cheaply' - as they exhibit issues from a and b above.
    The remaining 25% will sell for above a 'fair price' (fair price here defined as 'what a no-name razor with exactly the same characteristics would sell for) due to reasons c-f above.

At least that's what I think.

neiasden likes this.
  7. lindyhopper66

The larger width, any make straight is, the more expensive. 14's of many European makers, German and Spanish, mainly, are 7/8 to 8/8. George Britain's are 10/8's and larger and meet three categories: large, antique and well-known history.

Ivory, tortoise, mother of pearl,specialty woods etc. scales boost prices. Original scales on "famous" razors have more value.

NOS (new old stock) razors go for more money.

Most razors from every country were and are made from Swedish steel. There was Sheffield steel, but I've read most of it was Swedish. Stainless steel usually goes for more money. It may take more to hone it, but it keeps an edge longer.

American razors, like Case, Genco, Geneva, etc. used Buffalo, New York steel. Excellent steel. The grinds are usually extra hollow and make for sharp edges, but most American blades do not sell for as much as other countries' razors.

Japan has a once a year iron oxide harvest from a specific river that is used to make steel for sword makers and a few razor makers. It takes 3 days to make a batch of the steel in a "kiln" that is broken open at the end. It is Tamahagane steel. The best of it makes for great swords and razors and usually fetches a higher price. Iwasaki still gains the higher prices in Japanese razors, especially with Tamahagane steel, though Tanfuji taught Iwasaki how to make western style straights.

Razors that are harder to find have more value: Bartmann, Globusman (Germany), King Pelican, Hayashi Diamond (Japan). Some early models of certain makes go for a lot of money in that they made few and the maker is well known. Dubl Duck Grim Reapers go for a lot of money.

For razors that got hyped and quadrupled in price in 4 years, Filarmonica comes to mind, though Filarmonica's are excellent. I have an Iberia, from Spain as well and it is rare, seldom comes up for sale and seldom is posted in forums. It is excellent, but hasn't been hyped, yet for it's rarity, it has value and also the excellent steel, fit, finish and grind.

I think Japanese razors are an excellent value now, in that the quality workmanship, quality steel and history are excellent, yet the prices are comparatively low. You'll never find a warped blade or messed up finish on a Japanese razor.

Then it all gets down to the market and what people think they have to have and what they are willing to pay for it.

GDCarrington and Darkbulb like this.
  8. lindyhopper66

Depends on what's in the lot, the shape of the blades, photo quality and what someone would want. Sometimes you can get a deal, but I bet the lot needs honing and may need more repairing. If you're new to straights, don't buy a bag of blades that you're not sure of the quality. Buy one good or great razor. Now that's a good deal.

neiasden likes this.
  9. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

thanks! This exactly what I wanted. Just picked up an extra hallow Columbia cutlery today that looks promising! Looked like my beloved case!
    I have 2 huge blades for sale in the market place, one with tortoise scales. Any idea whats up with the blade shape and how they shave? I'm used to a standard blade.
    I can guess DE market prices, but straights are a different animal.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

ebay prices are not a good representation of value. Look at buy/sell/trade on more straight razor oriented sites, like straightrazorplace and badgerandblade. You can PM me with maker names, sizes and photos and I can give you a guesstimate value.

Are your scales true tortoise or faux tortoise? Columbia, Case, Geneva, Genco and others were all related...as in uncles, cousins, father, sons, etc. Buffalo steel, extra hollow grind, small blade width.

Explain what you're asking about blade shape. Photos, please. What do you mean by a standard blade? There is no standard blade.

Large blades can be like the old Sheffield wedges, heavy and shave without sound and smoothly. Large hollow blades can have a large spine and heft and shave well with feedback. Are you asking about various blade shapes or really toe shapes, French, Spanish, square, round, etc. Then there are blades with shoulders or shoulderless. Shapes do not affect pricing much. if at all.

You have to read a lot of threads on several forums and buy/sell/trade to get a better feel for things. That's how you learn.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Howdy I just got done cleaning the blade on my worst 220,500.1000,1200 grit with mineral oil I noticed after the word Sheffield this very small design is engraved have you ever seen this before?

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If memory serves me right selling of genuine tortoise products on ebay for instance is against their rules and you can even have your account suspended for doing so.
    It's also common that people mistake faux tortoise for real tortoise. Have you done something like the hot pin test to test if it's genuine?

14. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

No, but thank you. I don't have them on ebay thankfully. I was not aware. I'll have to check them. They do have a crazy texture FWIW.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There are some very long and rather confusing rules for tortoise selling on eBay - if they are real you will basically have to know down to the specie they are from so that it can be determined if it's endangered or not. See ebay for long rules :)

16. lindyhopper66

Google images of tortoise scales. They look very different from the faux ones. Search on straightrazorplace for possible threads on tortoise scales.

17. lindyhopper66

Sheffield, England is equivalent to Solingen, Germany. 100's of straight razor makers were there.

18. lindyhopper66

From the photos, the scales do look like real tortoise, though they seem damaged. The four straights pictured have smiling edges. People love smiling edges. They supposedly give better shaves, like using a slant head double edge safety razor. The 4 blades look in good shape.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  19. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

yea funny how they aren't gone yet. The scales aren't great, which is the only draw back. I just tried a hot pin on the ones I got today and nothing happened, no smoke or anything.

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  20. lindyhopper66

I've read tortoise has a distinctive smell when you do the pin test and you have to have it red/white hot and do the test immediately.

The way the scales have broken down in layers makes me think it's natural material, like tortoise. The scales would probably need replacing. Regardless, these seem to be nice razors from the small photos and a good deal.