What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

No, I defer to any plumbing job (always cramped spaces). And taking out a toilet counts double. Plus it was for a granddaughter. You have all the trumps!

Chuck Naill, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

:signs107:

brit likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

On this cool autumn day, I went for a shoot in the park, and came back with all my arrows.

BigMike, Tanuki, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Things I have learned the first week of Nov :)

How to change the Glow Plug Relay on the Kubota
    How to change the Glow Plug Controller on the Kubota
    How to build a Front Half PTO Shaft for the Snow Blower on the Kubota

Yes it has been a FREAKING fun month so far, learning how to do things I never wanted to learn or ever imagined myself learning before we moved to North Idaho :D

[​IMG]

BigMike, Tanuki, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Snow Shovel. Problems solved. :happy036:

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

So far this week:

• Fixed the boiler. I had the bugger in bits but found no serious issues which led me to believe it was the PCB. Under pressure from the dithering wife and children, i sourced a salvage PCB as a punt against the risk of buying a new PCB and it not being the actual problem. Result? Win! It was the PCB. Saved myself money for a new PCB, Engineer call outs, new boiler etc..
    • Fixed the washing machine. The thing dropped dead just as i was going to bed. A poke and a fiddle later had me donning work clothes and ripping its guts out. Result? Clean clothes are back on the menu! I also made about $10 in change from the mega blocked pump filter.
    • Repaired the dryer and have a part on order. Again, another late night just-off-to-bed repair. The belt is on its way out and making a racket. I trimmed off the flaying strands and its good for now....
    • Fixed the car. Bulbs. You now need an automotive degree to change a bulb. I didn't lose and fingers or blood so all good.

I'm currently flushing out the heating system. In for a penny, in for a pound lol.

BigMike, Tanuki, kumachan and 3 others like this.
  7. S Barnhardt

:signs002: I know this is probably brought on by being on the opposite side of "the pond", but what is a PCB? :signs002:

8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Ironed a pair of khakis, wash the bed clothes, mopped and dusted, shaved with a 90 year old American steel straight, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, made a nice pot of Typhoo tea, wrote a letter to my 8 year old grand son, and sent my eldest grand daughter a birthday card.

Tanuki and kumachan like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Very good :).

AGHisBBS and Sara-s like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Chuck Naill likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

[​IMG]

12. BlueShaver

Printed Circuit Board:

This f*****g thing! :angry019:

[​IMG]

Tanuki, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

good you can do all the maintenance Jon..

S Barnhardt likes this.
  14. BlueShaver

Well, to a point it is yes,
    I am no expert but i am an engineer so it is mostly a continuation of my professional skills.

I am perhaps more adventurous than most but some stuff isn't hard. I have a friend who calls an electrician to wire a plug and a handy man to hang pictures!

In other news, the belt went on the drier before the new one i ordered has arrived! :angry021:

AGHisBBS, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

:angry032:

BlueShaver likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

at least its a belt and not the pcb.as a mechanic i have saved thousands repairing my own cars,but have spent thousands restoring old ones..:scared011:

Tanuki, AGHisBBS and BlueShaver like this.
  17. BlueShaver

Which cars have you saved from the crusher? :angelic013:

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

no pics unfortunately,well old ones.but mostly 1960s gmc trucks.and a few volvo 240s.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

The easy side of the forest! Built a big fire ring and burned 8 hours of bonfire with a circle of old and new friends, a grill stoked with hot coals from the fire, a cooler of IPAs, some rye, some well peated single malt, and just enough mist in the air to make that hot fire feel perfect.

AGHisBBS, BigMike, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've been walking the same 10 mile trek consisting of joining four trails every Sunday that I have been in town since March. The intent was to experience the changes in the seasons on a weekly basis every week. This trail has become like an old friend. While I could do this a million years and never take it everything, the experience has changed my life. I hope to continue this Winter. Some ask if I am concerned about hiking alone. I am not.

The trees are thinning and the sun is able to touch the ground for the first time since last Spring. Then hike yesterday was glorious.

I also eat at the same Mexican restaurant after the hike. They know me and always have a smile waiting when I walk in around noon. To complete the experience, I have an hours drive back home where I listen to The Splendid Table and Ted Talks.

First photo is a random collection of table top pine cones and the Teaberry leaves which I chew to get that wonderful taste.

Nov 10-1.jpg Nov 10-2.jpg Nov 10-3.jpg Nov 10-4.jpg

gorgo2, Flintstone65, BigMike and 7 others like this.