What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Started building a 1911. Now, to be fair, I didn't forge the steel myself out of black sand, but I am starting with an 80% frame, rather than a finished one, at least. Is that manly enough?

Preacher and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You sir are blessed to be able to do that it's been 5 or 6 years since I've had the opportunity to work with bees ....... I miss it very much.

:eatdrink047:

Troy M likes this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

gorgo2, Paul Turner and richgem like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't want to say I'm jealous, but I'm jealous.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I would have to say I more closely resemble #2 than the others. I have about 3 bald spots scattered around. The back is what grows the most for me, but I can't see what I'm cutting, which upsets me.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dog kept growing at the patio but I couldn't see anything. Went out and found this trying to climb the screen.

20200426_114737_resize_70.jpg

Gonna have him for supper.

Tanuki, BigMike, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

cool..what kind is it? ,other than supper..:D

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looks like the common American black snake to me. This is only the second one I've seen in two years of living in Florida, and the other one was dead on the road.

brit likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looked it up, appears to be a black racer. Feisty when I carried him to the grassy area across the street.

BigMike and Enrico like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool.thank you.never seen one,probably best that way..doesn't look friendly..non venomous..?

12. brit

brit in a box

just looked it up too.threatened species..very cool .not seen very many single color snakes..thank you..

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Harmless, beneficial, and more endangered than not.

Funny thing, as I approached him with my Grabber stick, there was a lizard he was after on the patio chair, frozen stiff with fear. I got within a foot of the thing and it would not move. Normally they would bolt if I get that close.

Enrico likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are you in the UK? Can't remember...

brit likes this.
  15. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Those are "good" snakes. The adults eat rats and mice. As far as personality goes, no, not friendly at all. They will bite and sometimes break the skin, painfully, and infection is likely if the bite is not cleaned well and disinfected. They make terrible pets, unlike some other snakes. When you pick them up, they expel a strong musky substance even if they don't bite.

Be aware that water moccasins can be so dark on their backs that you might think that one is a black racer. Their habitats do overlap a bit, with black racers on rare occasions taking to the water and moccasins sometimes crawling overland. The moccasin is a pit viper and has the characteristic arrowhead shaped head. When threatened, the black racer sometimes expands its jaws sideways and mimics the pit viper head. Up close, too close for safety, actually, you may notice that a moccasin has vertical pupils, and an extra "nostril" that is used for sensing body heat of prey and predators. The water moccasin will have a heavier, thicker, muscular looking body, generally. But where both species are native, make sure what you are dealing with before grabbing.

If you are lucky enough to see a black racer hunting, you may see them with their head and the forward one fifth or so of their body elevated quite high off the ground as they travel. They hunt by sight. Fascinating to watch. During the heat of the day they spend a lot of time under logs or junk cars or other shady hidey holes to regulate their body temperature. They also do this to avoid predation by hawks.

Carson West, brit, efsk and 1 other person like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i am in western canada,..we have rattlers mid province..

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Went for a three mile walk in the rain.

Helps keep the peace some times. :D

:eatdrink047:

gorgo2 and BigMike like this.
  18. richgem

Were you strolling along country roads with your baby?

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not quite, .... I learned a long time ago ... when friction starts to feel hurtful, to go for a walk. When I return .... we're cool headed and want to make up for any friction. :angelic013:

:happy088:

gorgo2 and richgem like this.
  20. richgem

Smart man :)

Enrico likes this.