What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nice! Do you read and write Hebrew? I have always been fascinated by it being written right to left.

Sara-s likes this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I rescued a cast iron skillet at a yard sale for $1. It was heavily rusted and gunked up; I used a wire wheel in a drill to get it down to bare metal, then re-seasoned it. That was several years ago, and it’s going strong, and will be for many years to come. I love cooking in cast iron, I’ve just got to keep someone else in my house from letting one sit in soapy water. I have to periodically re-season our pieces, but she is beginning to do better with that. I especially like cooking steaks in cast iron, better than grilling!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Lou61, Erik Redd, Dave in KY and 3 others like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes I do read it. I can write it, but not well, as I don’t need to write it often. My knowledge is mostly Biblical/prayer-book Hebrew; just a bit of modern conversational Hebrew. BTW, the letter on my Hebrew pen stand is “seen”- the equivalent of “S”. It is my initial in Hebrew.

I have now finished the hardest part- the drilling. I have painted the top & glued in the metal cups.
    C3362422-A0DA-4B4F-B275-A133F8BFA1A1.jpeg

There is still finishing work to do. That will wait until warmer weather, as it needs to be done outdoors.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    gorgo2, 9nein9, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I shot in a club tournament today. I scored 380/450. Not epic but I always miss a few shots at this type of target (gold, red, blue, etc) and today I didn't miss even one.

gorgo2, GatorJoe, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got my first COVID vaccine today.

gorgo2, wristwatchb, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Getting my first one Monday!

gorgo2, wristwatchb and Sara-s like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glad to know it! Hope it goes well & you feel OK after. I am mostly OK, but my shoulder is a bit sore. This will pass, but no archery today.

gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No side affects at all, shoulder not sore. The second shot may be a different story. My brother and his wife, as well as a couple of friends all felt fairly sick and achy after the second shot. My primary care doctor said it helps to take Tylenol a couple hours prior to the second shot.

edit: I got the Moderna shot

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lined the case back and bracelet of the dive watch with thin self-adhesive cotton felt (moleskin, it's sometimes called). Absorbs sweat and reduces irritation. Took 5 minutes to do and works great.

BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Took my yellow Labrador Retriever to the vet to get a Cytopoint shot for allergies, and an annual heart worm preventative injection. My opinion is if you’re going to have a dog, or any other animal or livestock, you have a responsibility to take care of them.

gorgo2, lottenhem and Sara-s like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I shot in the Mid-Atlantic sectionals today. That is, as its name suggests, a regional archery tournament. It is shot at a bunch of clubs in 7 states, and then the info is put together, to see who the winners are. I shot 272, out of a possible 300. That, for me, is a pretty good score. I won’t know the overall results for a while, but there arent’t always a lot of women in my age category, so I may yet be a winner.

efsk, gorgo2, lottenhem and 5 others like this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

The replacement just arrived yesterday :) 20210306_080453.jpg

gorgo2, BamaT, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@9nein9 that looks great. Is it a repair or a whole new knife?

9nein9 likes this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats Patrick. Swiss Army knives are my favorite for daily carry. I keep the Pioneer handy.

SAK_0_8201_26__S1.jpg

gorgo2, BamaT, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Brand new plus they sent the old one back to me .

gorgo2, Sara-s, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Charlie. The pioneer is a very versatile tool as well. I'm looking at buying a Spartan next .

gorgo2, Sara-s, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My daily carry for months is an old Camillus camp knife. It has the same features as that one. A man should always carry a pocket knife, and a boy if he can be trusted with it. Girls too.

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A few months back I gave my big retriever Buck to a friend with a large yard and other dogs like him, so he's much happier than being cooped up in my apartment. But I got the dog itch again so we went to the shelter yesterday.

20210313_170727_resized_50_percent.jpg

This was a sad, withdrawn dog who s-l-o-w-l-y warmed to us (through the bars) over the 2+ hours we waited to see her...me smuggling a pork rind to her helped. The cage tag only said "pitbull mix" but I'm not seeing much pit apart from some brindle stripes and maybe the shape of the upper head. But she's on the small side and all agree she looks like she's maybe pit crossed with Jack Russell. What an odd combo that would be.

Anyway, she's done a 180 since being sprung. A tail-wagging velcro sweetie and pretty smart. Her inexplicable original name, Devil, is now Daisy.

Weird thing...we haven't once heard her bark, not at the pound and not here either.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@gorgo2 enjoy your new best friend!

I shot a new personal best today- 281/300 @ 20 yards.
    Also, I got the results from the Mid-Atlantic shoot. I came in 3rd in my shooting class. (That sounds a lot more impressive if you don’t know how many shooters there were in that class; I’ll give you one guess.)

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

:)

20210314_161554_resized_50_percent.jpg

lottenhem and Sara-s like this.