What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I stared at a wall all day, doing firewatch. Welder on the other side doing pickup work. About to start getting overtime pay, since we've been working 9.5 hr shifts. It's all in a day's work as a boilermaker, working on refitting a U.S. Navy destroyer. Some days are easy, some aren't. This is one of the easy ones.

If my grandfather was still alive, he would appreciate the irony. He served on a destroyer, the USS Melvin, during WW2, and became a plumber and pipefitter after the war.

I became a welder, then a fitter-welder, then a pipefitter, and now a boilermaker, then wound up working on a Navy destroyer. Feels almost like I'm living his life in reverse.

Just to be clear, I work at a repair shipyard, I'm not a member of the armed forces.

My grandfather was not one to discuss his experience during the war, and the few details I do know come second-hand. He wouldn't read any books while deployed, as he didn't want to die with a book half read. He and his shipmates were convinced they wouldn't survive the war, (They did in fact, survive). He did mention that he got in quite a bit of trouble for leaving his assigned fire lane to shoot down a Japanese kamikaze, and he had nightmares for years after the war, waking up, thinking he was on the ship again.

I looked up the ship's battle record, and his ship was involved in some of the fiercest and deadliest campaigns in the Pacific.

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am transitioning back to using my heavier bows, a month after cancer surgery.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Having to let go of $1,600 would turn me into unmanly, waterworks and all. My mascara would be running everywhere...
    :angry017::angry017::rofl:

Silvestris and brit like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Probably not a good day to wear mascara then. :p

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Then you'd have get manly again by wiping your tears with 60 grit sand paper and chase down a 400lb caribou with a pocket knife for dinner.

:eatdrink013:

6. richgem

Sounds like a Tuesday to me.;)

Enrico and brit like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

Enrico and richgem like this.
  8. richgem

TSD: ruiner of keyboards since 2000.
    :D

swarden43, IAmTheJody and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll be over for dinner Tuesday. :eatdrink023:

10. richgem

Bring a nice wine.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Enrico likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That's still a drag. Did you have to do the head gaskets yet?

Enrico likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I got a neat haircut. The babe made me look a little older, which is good. This cut would have looked funny during Woodstock, but do I care?

No.

Enrico and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. richgem

Pics or it didn't happen.;)

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

On my Forester yes, but not on my OutBack

PanChango likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Beat me to it!

richgem likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Took the day off and went for a ride through JIm Thorpe, PA. Even saw a bear for a brief second.

IMG_20210618_214857.jpg

IAmTheJody and Enrico like this.
  17. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Interesting story! My Grandfather was on a Mine Sweeper ( not sure if that is the right name of a ship that seeks for mines? ) . Anyway he was up on deck on their way up to Norway when they were hit by a torpedo from a British Submarine. He fell in to the water due to the shock wave and he was the only alive.. After that he was a war prisoner and his duty was as a “captain” of a fishing trawler, fishing for the British/ US forces. After the WW2 he was Harbour Captain in Wismar until retirement. He was also responsible for testing new combat ships for the Russian Navy produced by Mattias Thesen Shipyard in Wismar. Also responsible for the whole construction of Mast and sail for the East German School Ship Wilhelm Piek.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Enrico and PanChango like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Went to a gun range with my husband. Shot with a target pistol (I really like these) and despite my limited experience, mostly hit was I was aiming at.

I really like this range as they are very safety conscious.

Ironic note- my husband, with all his military experience, has given me multiple lectures about how to avoid slide bites. I’ll give you one guess who got one.

19. Paul Turner

duhhhhhhh....you?

20. Paul Turner

All right, it didn't happen, but somehow my hair got shorter with her cutting it.

brit likes this.