What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

prayers-1.jpg

Hembree and macaronus like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you!

3. mrchick

Thank you. She is scheduled for reconstructive surgery on Friday.

Sara-s, Hembree, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  4. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

We are wishing her luck and a speedy recovery and for you also I wish you well and hope you don't get too stressed or too worried during her surgery and recovery...

5. mrchick

Thank you!

Hembree, jaro and macaronus like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Got around to those ball joints today. What a PITA!!!! Ended up taking out the entire steering knuckle to get anough room to use a press with my impact. The only good thing about that was discovering that the lower ball joints were also toast. Also decided to replace the tie rod ends. I'm tired as all get out.

Hembree, macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    After spending a whole weekend doing a "simple" water pump replacement on a Ford Taurus, I now let the professionals handle certain jobs. I learned later that due to the idiotic placement of the water pump on the Taurus, the standard method is to pull the engine, change out the water pump and put the engine back in. SMH.

Hembree, BamaT and macaronus like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Goat cheese from the press.
    IMG_1684086327107.JPEG

Hembree, BamaT, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I smoked three seasoned pork roasts, on the wood smoker, all night long. I had to Make the wife happy.

Hembree, BamaT, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The big maple finally dropped the last of its seeds. Time to clean the gutters. Actually had little maples starting to sprout, but if I had cleaned them out last week, I'd be cleaning them out again today.
    Finished up, came in, took a nap.

Hembree, macaronus and BamaT like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

For Mother’s Day, my wife asked for BBQ, potato salad, and baked beans without her having to do anything. Saturday I smoked a Boston butt for about 10 hours on the Weber kettle. I decided to change my methodology on the butt. First, I trimmed the fat cap, which I used to never do. I used to use the snake method of charcoal placement, which would take about 7 hours or so to reach 200 degrees internal temp. Instead I put some charcoal on one side, which meant adding some briquettes about every hour or so. Took the butt off after 3 hours and wrapped it in butcher paper, which was also a first for me. I’m now a fan of wrapping a Boston butt in butcher paper; it took a little longer to reach 200 degrees internal temp, but the paper kept the bark from getting too hard, and the inside meat was super tender. I made potato salad for the first time, and baked beans. It all turned out really well, my wife and her mother thought it was a great lunch! Oh, and I cleaned up afterwards.

Hembree, lottenhem, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  12. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Interesting about languages, bark in Swedish is the outside layer of a tree.. perhaps you have received that word from the Vikings?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

macaronus and Hembree like this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Looks that way... :D

From proto-Germanic via Old Norse.
    www.etymonline.com/word/bark

(I have a thing for languages too.)

lottenhem, macaronus and Hembree like this.
  14. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Blew a caliper on my way home from work, so had to come home and replace both rear calipers and pads. fun.

macaronus, Enrico and Hembree like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Kitchen twine has many uses, including keeping large pieces of leather tied into rolls. (I never really use it in cooking.) I wanted a dispenser for it & didn’t like anything I saw.

So I drilled a hole in the lid of a mason jar. Always stuff it with crumpled paper before drilling. It gives more control of the drill. After that, I used a rotary tool with a grinding bit, to smooth out the edge.

I am trying to think of some way to anchor the loose end of the twine. Suggestions are welcome.

IMG_2023-5-28-143848.jpeg IMG_2023-5-28-143839.jpeg

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    macaronus, Enrico and richgem like this.
  16. richgem

Oooh... You just gave me a great idea! Such a pain to deal with the open spool (and not cross-contaminate it) when you're trying to tie up a roast. Thank you!

macaronus and Sara-s like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@richgem glad to help. BTW, since I never make roast beef, I was wondering why it needs to be tied.

macaronus likes this.
  18. richgem

I have never actually cooked a roast beef so I can't answer for sure. But my guess is that it would cook more evenly because everything ends up being more or less the same thickness in the oven.

However I do make a good fruit stuffed pork loin which does need to be tied so that it all holds together* and in that case it also helps with more even cooking.

*With this recipe you butterfly the pork loin, pound it flat, and then roll it up like a jelly roll so it has to be tied. As opposed to other stuffed pork recipes where you basically take out a core sample and fill that hole with stuffing.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  19. richgem

So I guess you're tired of seeing the relatives all day, huh? ;)

IMG_20230528_151552.jpg

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

richgem likes this.