What Men Don't know about Shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by PatrickA51, Jan 4, 2015.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Jtfrye, Pf3427, Tattoobob and 3 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This provides good information but obviously it seems to be bent to sell professional shaves.

As to warm lather, the interviewees seems to have never heard of a scuttle which removes the need for a professional hot lather machine.

Thanks for bringing it up and welcome back Patrick, it is good to see you back.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great read for a newbie as all that info is certainly scattered here at TSD; excellent info condensed.

The only thing I disagree with is the statement, "Every once in a while you need a professional job."
    Of all those here who have had a professional shave, the vast majority says it wasn't worth it.
    Truth be told, though, I've never had a professional shave, but I'll heed the voice of the masses in this case.

Sevenbark, gorgo2, KLF and 2 others like this.
  4. PatrickA51

That is why I posted the link. I also have to agree with your statement

GDCarrington and swarden43 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks Patrick. I just gotta say...
    ZCOLDWATER.jpg

6. PatrickA51

Maybe I will get really ambitious and SSS later today, My hands have been so bad I haven't been able to hold my razor without dropping it several times.

Bristle Me and GDCarrington like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I hope your hands calm down and let you do what you want to do. I understand and I hope it gets better.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

From the article…
    Psssshhhhh…..where's the fun in leaving it 'to the pros'?
    Yes, straight razors are 'not as safe,' and 'easy to get hurt with one'—but I suppose the same logic could be applied to guns, sports cars and darts vs checkers...:D

Indeed, Patrick. Good to see you!

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Patrick, I pray that you will get some resolution to your hand problems.

10. PatrickA51

On the 12th of Dec. My truck broke down. Had it in the shop. Spent an obscene amount of money getting it fixed. :angry019:
    My wife and I both have been sick. We basically had no Christmas per-say. But we had each other and that's all that matters. (Christmas is just another day Gotten to commercialized) We didn't even go out to dinner for our anniversary. The amount of money we spent on not only my Truck but my Wife's Van..we could have made three payments on 2 Brand New Vehicles. I have not gone to physical therapy since the first week of Dec. (we had planned on going some where in the RV while SWMbO, was on vacation from her job at the school). I just thought it would be better off to wait until after the new year. So tomorrow I will call for an appointment.
    So anyway that's what's been going on here. I have been looking to buy a new truck and I really want to get a Diesel, (was going to buy Ford F-250 SD, but read too much bad about their Power Stroke Diesel . So more than likely I will try to find a 2014 Ram 2500HD with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, but I am finding it hard to justify the cost of a Diesel) :angry021:
    Belated "Happy New Year" :happy069:
    Also it's cold enough here to "Freeze the Balls Off a Brass Monkey" :happy097: :eatdrink013::shaver

11. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Everybody has an opinion on shaving but after nearly 60 years of practice I'll just stick with what works for me. The biggest variation I've made is to cold water shave if I start to get any irritation, it's rare but it happens to us all.

If I had to give any advice it would be to avoid the gels, they cause the razor to skid and clog. As for the rest of the shave, do what feels comfortable.

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Good to see you back Patrick!

Been missing your posts.

I plan to talk to Supreme Commandant tonight and I'll put in
    a request for some relief for your hands.

Best wishes. :)

13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Pretty much why we all switched to wet-shaving. Not a bad article with the exception of letting a professional do it from time to time. I feel the shaves I do myself, wet-shaving are as good or better than any barber's shave (which I had once and was excellent)

14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Good article, The part about leaving the lather on your face for a few min. seems like a good idea now that I'm retired and don't have to rush off to work. The part about a Barber shop shave is just spoiling yourself. I used to get one every few weeks when I lived in NYC but here in rural Maine a Barber that does shaves is hard to find. Laying back in one of those barber chairs getting the hot towel and the hot lather shave , and come out smelling like Bay Rum or one of those barber shop scents on a Saturday afternoon was a nice treat. Not to mention, back in those days the barber shop was the local news center. In those days a shave and a haircut was about $2.
    Denis

Sevenbark and KLF like this.
  15. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

I would also assume that most of us would take issue with: "Next, lather up with shaving cream or gel. (Benabio says it doesn’t matter which"

I know I made the switch because IMO it does matter.

SRNewb likes this.
  16. macintoshBR

macintoshBR Active Member

I like to try professional shaves when traveling abroad. You know, to try and see the local customs. As for the warm lather, a large dense brush or a scuttle will suffice

17. Pf3427

Pf3427 New Member

18. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. It's always nice to see what people outside the forums are saying about shaving.

A lot of good info there, but it may also just be by chance:rofl:. For every bit of good info there is misinformation or just incorrect info.

19. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

This sounds like mainstream government mandated and written BS for a normal person who hasn't done any kind of traditional wetshaving and knows nothing about themselves. I don't believe anything about that article.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Interesting article @PatrickA51. While some parts of the article are COMPLETELY off base IMO, some of it I think we all can agree is definitely YMMV.

A "professional" shave isn't the end all be all, the quality of the shave depends "ENTIRELY" on the ability of the barber!! Also no matter how the shave turns out(good or bad) rest assured it will be EXPENSIVE!!:(
    HOT water IS NOT an absolute need for a close quality shave! You can get just as close and comfortable of a shave using lukewarm or cold water. Warm lather is neither an advantage or disadvantage its just a personal preference.
    A straight razor though it will take more skill and time to master, is only as dangerous as the person using it.
    Always going "with" the grain I've heard since talking up traditional shaving, but not knowing any better when I first started shaving 40+ years ago, I've always gone against the grain with no ill effects, again a YMMV kind of thing.

All in all not a bad article just many things presented as absolute fact that are at best YMMV. So I found it less than informative to any shaver with a very small amount of time "traditional" shaving. Thanks for posting it @PatrickA51 it's always good to see what other info is out there..:happy088: