What New Thing Have You Learned To Cook ???

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by DaltonGang, Sep 18, 2022.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy102::happy097::happy102::happy097::happy102::happy097:

Then again, by your own signature line, you are the Czar of Cheddar.

richgem likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is the recipe. Vary the amount of drying time(Second Cooking) to the desired crunchiness.

P9240006.JPG

P9240004.JPG

P9240005.JPG

3. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I'll pass that along to my beloved bride so she can give it a try!
    Thanks a boodle!
    :)
    - Bax

Here's a transcribed version of the Now Famous Itchy Whiskers Biscotti recipe:

1/2c whole almonds
    3 eggs
    1tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    (-note: may need add'l 1/4c)
    1/4c sugar
    1tsp baking soda
    dash of salt

Place nuts in a shallow pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool. In a small bowl, beat egga, vanilla, and almond extract with a wire whisk. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt (you might need to add about 1/4 cup more of flour). Add egg mixture and mix until blended (about 1 minute). Cut nuts into halves or thirds and mix in. Divide dough in half. On a greased and floured baking sheet, pat out dough into two logs about 1/2 inch thick, 1 1/2" wide and 12" long, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. (Ol' Itchy Whiskers recommends sprinkling some Turbinado Cane sugar on top, before cooking; it makes a world of difference.) Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 300 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer from the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board. With a serrated knife slice diagonally at a 45 degree angle, each slide about 1/2" thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return it to a 275 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until toasted, turning them over once to dry the other side. Pay attention to the drying time, they get harder, and crunchier, after removed from the oven, to cool.Store in a tightly covered container.

Chocolate glaze: coarsely chop 3oz of semi-sweet chocolate and place in a small pan that fits snugly over a saucepan of barely simmering water (a "double boiler"). heat until chocolate melts. Stir to blend. Alternatively, place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on medium for 2 minutes or until chocolate melts; stir to blend. With a spatula, spread the melted chocolate over the entire top survaace of the cookies. Let cool at room temperature until the chocolate hardens ("sets"). Then make a pot of coffee and binge on biscotti! Yay!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    DaltonGang likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

Correction. It says 3/4 Cups Almonds, but I use close to 1 cup. The photo is hard to see.
    It also says 7/8 cup Sugar.

5. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the corrections. I was having trouble reading some of the image. Old eyes.
    ;-)
    - Bax

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Double Dutch
    Found a new recipe for a Boston Clam Chowder on YouTube that claimed to be inspired by Seattle's Pike Place Market

Shan and I worked it out to fit our Lodge 5.5 Qt Enameled DO basically doubled the recipe very few substitutions made for an excellent Chowder !!!

The second Lodge DO got a Homemade Shaggy Dough simple bread Mmmmmmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really good, the taste was lifted by the right choice of Bacon too, Hemplers Smoked "Bits n Pieces"

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am just starting to learn how to make corn tortillas.
    37495200_Unknown.jpeg

DaltonGang likes this.
  8. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Getting the hang of the air fryer. Yes, I'm late.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

We had an air fryer...once.
    My wife wasn't impressed, so we gave it to our daughter in law.

11. DaltonGang

I've never felt the need for an Air Fryer. Probably because we don't do much deep frying. But how do you fry Catfish, and other battered foods with an Air Fryer??

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dunno, still playing with it. Somebody gave it to me so I got no reason not to.

13. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

I fry with coconut oil in a heavy pan. No worries. Wish I could get my hands on good lard.

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have never tried cooking anything battered in my air fryer. But it works great for breaded foods. My favorite air-fryer dish is buttermilk chicken. Nothing complicated. Just marinate in buttermilk, coat in breadcrumbs & cook as usual. Comes out tender & juicy inside & crisp outside.

15. DaltonGang

Go to the Mexican supermarkets. They still carry lard.
    Also, Amazon sells lard by the tub, or brick.

Jim O likes this.
  16. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about that white, tasteless crap sold in most markets. Maybe my local Mexican store carries the real deal, but I'd be shocked. Mexican restaurants don't even cook with it anymore. You almost have to make your own.