what razor do you use?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by alpla444, Jul 18, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Why did you give the Trac II to your wife? Don't you love her? ;)

Welcome to the Den!

alpla444 likes this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I use a vintage single edge probably 90-95% of the time, and of those I use a Gem/Ever-Ready or Star 1912 the most, followed by Valet's and injectors.
    The rest of the time it's either a double edge, Trac II and the occasional Mach 3.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. newb

newb Resident Newb

I use a Vision most of the time. I use a plastic star razor when I do a second shave during the day (less than 12 hours from 1st shave) it's very gentle. I most of the time only shave my head with a Vision. But I try to use all of my razors during my rotations, but I keep coming back to the Vision. So, I guess I use a Merkur Vision most.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I've been using my Lord L6 exclusively, I want to get through my blade sampler before I try anything else.

alpla444 likes this.
  5. bittenfatten

bittenfatten New Member

That's pretty funny. I could give her the Merkur long handle DE, but I'm afraid she'd cut herself with it.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

To my surprise I've been using the Clix E-Z Flo frequently lately, and I have managed to obtain a nickel bar handle to go with it. Apart from the NEW I've never been a fan of 3-piece razors but I highly recommend one if you see one.

Yesterday I broke out the good ol' 1950s Aristocrat. One of the best. Occasionally I break out the Super Adjustable. My Red Tip's services are no longer required...it just feels too harsh to me lately.

I've still got Schick G injectors, which used to be a fav, but have not used one in I don't know how long. Ditto the Gem SE.

alpla444 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For me, it's the hands down best for taking off a full beard, too.

8. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I've changed my little rotation since I wrote that previous post.

Now it's Sunday & Wednesday mornings - 39C Sledge Slant
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - 38C
    Saturday, no shave if I have the day off. 38C if I'm working.
    My 1904 bar has become my travel razor.

I haven't used my 25C OC in a long time. I never really liked the shave I got from it. I didn't like the whole "zebra stipe" quality of the shave, and I could never get BBS from it, regardless of how many passes I did, or what blade I used. So it has now been retired back to its original box, somewhere at the back of the cabinet under the sink. I suppose I should sell or trade it, but have never gotten around to it.

9. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

i have my first injector razor enroute to me....figured i'd see what its all about.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My current rotation, as I haven't decided upon a 'go-to' razor.
    The more I use each one, the greater the ability to distinguish what each razor's attributes are. Since the vast majority are vintage gillettes, the differences are rather subtle from one razor to another. So currently I simply have based them upon the handle-size (big > small). I will usually attempt to go 3-4 days & then change out, plus a new blade.

Merkur 38c > Fat Boy > Fat-Handle Tech > Bar-Handle New > Red Tip SS > Aristocrat > Slim Adjustable > Flair Tip SS >Goodwill > ???

alpla444 likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use my Cobra Classic 50% of the time. When I don't want to have focus or I'm still sleepy it is an easy close shave.

When I want the super close BBS for a date with my woman or an important meeting it is my Muhle R41 (2011) with a super iridium and some times my ATT with the H base plate.

When I want to give my face a rest it is my ATT R plate, I always get a close shave without any irritation.

When I travel it's my Merkur slant

When I feel crazy it is my Feather SS to try to learn if I can learn to shave with a straight. To date little success.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Generally I use whatever disposable blade straight razor calls out to me, they're all fairly similar in ability, the main differences are just in the way they feel in hand. Even though I'm most likely to pull out my Parker SRW or Sanguine X-D20, I do use certain razors for certain occasions.

When I need a faster than normal shave, then either the Gillette Flare Tip or the Sik Bay three piece comes out.

When I have skipped a few days and need something with a lot of surface area I break out my Union Cutlery 5/8 full hollow or my Sterling Mfg. 5/8 extra hollow.

When I want a super close shave, but am pressed for time the Fromm hair shaper makes its appearance.

When I feel nostalgic or I want to test out a new blade, then the Edwin Jagger DE86, my very first non-cartridge razor, takes the stage.

I could easily survive with just one razor, but it's nice to be able to tweak the set up for the perfect result.

alpla444 likes this.
  13. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I've become an Injector man :) I especially favor my E2, Hydro-magic, G1 and J1.

battle.munky and alpla444 like this.
  14. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I have been working on my Str8 technique for the last few months with a rotation of 5 razors. When travelling I do use a DE still, and it is always my 39C Sledgehammer Slant with a Feather or Polsilver blade. I do one pass XTG with some buffing and always end up BBS.

It is kind of a bummer to get clean in one pass. I do lather up again just because it feels so good. I massage that lather in for the moisturizing effect.

alpla444 likes this.
  15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Schick M-2 Adj. Injector
    Personna NOS Chrome Platinum (Comfort Coated)

Clayton

alpla444 likes this.
  16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My Slim is stealing the show right now. But if I want another razor, I suppose I could grab my Krona or one of my Aluminum Techs.

alpla444 likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All of 'em.

alpla444 likes this.
  18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Whim.

alpla444 likes this.
  19. David Tyler

David Tyler New Member

I only have 4 DE's and still very new to this but I find myself using my 50's Rocket the most. Once I get my technique down I will work in my NEW, then my adjustable and see how I like them.

alpla444 likes this.
  20. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I just go by what floats my boat for the day. I've only been DE shaving for a little over 3 weeks now, so I can't say there's any scientific reasoning for what I do. I have a Parker 99r, Edwin Jagger DE87, and a 30's Gillette NEW open comb. I've used the Gillette for my last two shaves and really like it. But I may use the EJ tomorrow. I'm waiting for my new Astra SP blades to come. I think once I settle in on a blade, I'll be able to really see where each razor shines, and hopefully fine tune my methodology.

alpla444 likes this.