What razors have you mastered and what razors own you?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by newb, Feb 28, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Any razor can give a great shave in the right hands. There are certain razors that I've mastered, but there are also some that no matter how much I try I can't get it right consistently.

I've mastered the Lord L6, Merkur Vision, Gillette Red tip, Gillette New short comb, Gillette Ball end tech, Rolls, vintage Merkur slant, and a Gem clog pruff.. When I need a good close shave with out irritation I can count on these to deliver.

My razors I can't get a good handle on include, Gillette New long comb, 40's style SS, any Gillette old style (including my minty single ring), Barbasol floating head, Fat Boy, Ikon OC Bulldog, and the R41. Sometimes I can eek out a good shave from these razors, but I can't count on them.

What razors do you own? and,,,,,,,, What razors own you?

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks like you've mastered a whole lotta razors there newb. I've had some success getting the hang of problem razors by putting them a side for a while and coming back to them later with a "fresh" perspective. I've got a Canadian long and short. A big boy deluxe and a couple of techs. The biggest issue I've had was with the handle ie thickness and length and overall weight. For me, finding and working with the particular razor's balance point so far seems to be making the biggest difference with those troublesome razors. I guess that makes sense being a Libra and all lol. And all of that being said.. then there's the shavers that could remain as I like to call a work in progress...

3. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I started DE shaving in January and started with the Merkur 38C Barberpole HD. It is a heavy and long razor. I got a close shave and nicked myself pretty badly. I also tried the slant and had less trouble. I found the Gillette adjustables to be the easiest for me. I love my long handle 1968 superadjustable and my 1975 short black handle slim superadjustable and the Fatboy and the only new one I can handle is the EJ89L. Also the Gillette Techs are really smooth and easy, as well as the open comb razors from the ABC Pocket Editions. It's mainly the heavy razors that I have trouble with.

4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

All the razors in my rotation I have pretty much mastered. I have issues with blades. For example i can take my black tip and get great shaves with a bunch of blades but throw a feather in that and I will have some serious issues.

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I've mastered all of them now, I only get blood when I accidentally shave the head off a pimple or if the dog manages to get into the bathroom while I'm shaving and tackles me. The list of what I own is in the link in my signature but that will be shrinking after the wife runs through them all and chooses her favourite - my RAD was cured with the 2 vintage Gillettes I have and love using them too much to even use my Edwin Jagger or 37C anymore.

macaronus and Bird Lives like this.
  6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Mastered everything except the Magic shavette. Still get nicked at least once every time.

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

the only razor I've given up on is the open comb micromatic. I could get an awesome shave with one if I had enough time and if I had enough quiet. I never have either of those two and I ended up with some awful shaves. I even had one person ask, "What did you do to your face?" after one such shave.

8. Red-Leg

Red-Leg Member

I have a pair of Flare Tips, three Techs, a NEW, an Old, a pair of Lady Gillettes, a Gem OCMM, a Weber, and a DE89. I haven't mastered any of them, as I've only been at this for six weeks or so. :)

Using the DE89 as my primary and have used the Weber as well. The others have been sanitized and stand at the ready. Once my technique is a little more consistent, I will be branching out some. ;)

macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Very smart!

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

You gathered a nice collection in only six weeks! :happy088:

11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I own a Fatboy, it has taken a journey to make friendly. The Fatboy has a A type personality personally it is not the most friendliest razor I have. I have finally tamed it, the shaves are great.

What I have learned that the Fatboy wants respect, a light hand, a sharp blade, patience, slick soap. The best shaves for myself come from setting it on #8, a sharp blade such as Voshkod. The Fatboy I have found short stokes work best, that I let the razor do it's job and I will have a great shave.

12. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

I have 2 gillette razors, a flare tip super speed and a fatboy. Both are my best friends if the blades and lather are good. If not.....there is some blood. I also have a feather as-d1. we are working on our relationship:)

Some peolpe say the super speeds are mild, compared to my feather, its a beast. I usually run the fatboy on #5 setting and the ss would be a close #4.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gem Micromatics - open comb or not, don't matter - must have all been reincarnated from someone I ticked off really badly in a past life.

Other than that, all razors love me.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I used to think the SE guys were nuts. I tried a Gem OCMM and the first shave was bad enough that I had to skip a day. Determined to have a successful outing, shave number 2 came together. As long as the blade is seated correctly, it is a highly effective and smooth razor. It's the only SE I own and it makes up the majority of my shaves.

I never bonded well with the long comb NEW. Some days it would give me great shaves, the next it go for the jugular. Other than that, I have been beaten by straight razors. I made a good go with them, but they just didn't work out for me.

15. Hiya,

For me, it's not about mastering a razor, but more about how they shave. After using many DE razors for a bunch of years I can pretty much tweak whatever's needed for each particular model if that's the case. For a very aggressive razor I'll go slower and pay more attention to detail. Short strokes only and adjusting the angle if I have to, with no fancy stuff like j hooking or blade buffing. Yeah, I know the drill. The shaves are extremely close, with rarely any hints of red in the lather after multiple passes.

I just never use em and I don't think I can change their nature. Razors with lots of bite just do not feel good on my face and that's the deal. I can shave with about any razor, but I pick and choose pretty carefully.

Martin

16. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Most razors that I've tried don't give me any trouble, although some are easier than others. If I pick up my Schick E1, or type O, or a Gem 1912 or Junior Bar, I expect to have an easy time of it.

I have one old Kampfe Lather Catcher which I'm going to have to give another try some time. It's one of the ones that will take either a wedge or a regular SE blade, and I just haven't gotten the hang of it. Too much irritation. Still can't help feeling that it should work.

Similar problems with a Burham 1909 SE, although there it may be partly getting a modern SE blade to fit properly. It sticks out a little too far with the spine on, and not enough with the spine removed.

If I ever get my Rolls blades sharp enough to shave with, I'll find out if the technique of the razor gives me any issues.

My type H1 injector is the only injector razor that I flat out don't like. It completes the collection, though, and didn't cost me much. I might try it again some time to try to figure out why it gave me such a bad shave. It looks like it ought to work; it was meant as a lady's razor, but so is the type K, which works fine for me.

17. newb

newb Resident Newb

That's great advice. I seem to have the same issues with razors with lots of bite.

I absolutely Love the Burham 1909, but I bent the clips just a little to help a modern SE blade fit a little better. As for the Rolls, once sharp enough and stropped enough, it's the Bee's Knees. If I had to choose only one razor for life a Rolls would be in the running.

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have mastered several Gillettes (Fat Boy, Slim, Red Tip, New), several SE's (1912, Push Button), and the modern EJ. Have revisited the OCMM 4 times and have paid dearly each time. I have not given up on it yet, but am giving it a nice long time out.

19. AwNix

AwNix Member

I own a lot of razors and can get a good shave with any of them. No problems. If you are looking for something different try a bakelike razor, Schick yellow injector or Gem featherweight.