What razors where manufactured in 1945?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

My father was born Feb 21st 1945. He passed away in 2011. I would like to find a birth year razor that was made in that year. Any one know what ones were?
    Thank you in advance!

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The Gillette Tech Razor's were made in 1945. Look on e-bay or Etsy.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My personal favorite vintage razor, the Shake Sharp, introduced for sale at Gimbel's NYC for Christmas 1945.[​IMG]

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A big thank you to those who helped me dial in my Father's birth year razor and to @Linuxguile for having his Etsy shop. :) Shaves great!

6. brit

brit in a box

nice razor..

Zykris likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That patina is GORGEOUS.

8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I love it. Especially with the patina and mild plate loss. Shows its age in a good way.

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Linuxguile, brit, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That razor is a 47 or up. Without posting lots of ad pictures since this is something else I am researching the Techs from 38 to 47 had triangular drain hole slots on the guard bar. That one you have is ovular so it is a 47 to 50 3pc tech.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    brit and Zykris like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One ad is from the Globe Gazette dated 2/1/1945 and the other is The Californian dated 1/24/1945
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Besides the 3pc tech they were also selling that fat plastic handle Gem Jr razor and a Clix.

brit likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What's interesting to me is they are selling the Ebonized Tech as a World Series special in January 1945 when it was a World Series special in October 1941.

brit likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Maybe because of the break out of WW II and sold the leftovers when the war looked to be about over. I'm just taking a guess.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

would make sense.. like the 41 and 46 fords etc

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Oh I get the selling them, just amused by the World Series reference. There was, after all, a 1944 World Series (and a '43 and '42). Did they market them again in October '44 as old stock? Just a weird reference.

brit likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They made Techs in limited quantities starting around March of 44 and you'd see them sold for a month or so through the adverts until they sold out then they disappear for a month or 3 until the next run was produced sent out the retailers and you see them advertised again.

They didn't have any production runs going during Feb. 45 best I can tell since those ads say back in stock or limited quantities. He wanted something the produced or sold as close to that date as possible. I don't know if the heads were brass but when they do if American they have metal heads and those almost cone like plastic handles and for the Canadian Techs metal head and thin plastic handle when they do. Once the war ends you see the reintroduction of all metal techs, the ads are explicit in that regard.

brit likes this.