What shavette did you use today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Focus Slim Al shavette
    Astra SP snapped (fresh)
    Dscosmetics brush handle with Shave Forge horse hair brush.
    Cella soap and matching aftershave splash

Awesome Cella soap and it is easy to whip up. The horse hair is a little floppy but it gets the job done.

Very nice two pass shave with no blood loss. The Slim is a joy to use and I appreciate Bill @Edison Carter letting me drive it. The alum was a little warm in a few spots but nothing unbearable.

I hope every one has a great Wednesday!

2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Tedalus Essence. Like the magnetic blade cover. Hate hinged handles. The grip is too awkward. I will have a chance to try a couple of Kamisori style shavettes in the near future. Looking forward to that.

4. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

So.....then your original spelling may have been an honest review? ;)

upload_2021-7-22_16-35-8.png

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No not tedious, just difficult to use. ;)

Edison Carter, rs_776 and Hembree like this.
  6. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

I figured it was an auto-correct issue, but I couldn't help it.

I use both folding and non-folding shavettes, and I have to agree that scales do sometimes get in the way. Some are intimidated by the non-folding (Kamisori type) razors, thinking they're challenge to hold. But I find that's not the case at all.

Edison Carter, Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  7. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Focus Slim Al shavette
    Astra SP snapped (2)
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap
    Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Stetson aftershave splash

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

First use of a shavette for me. The Irving Barber Company razor with an AC blade was a nice intro.
    BBB0F012-05A6-4F3C-AFB9-3FD2249735A1.jpeg
    Can’t say I wasn’t apprehensive about the blade staying in place… but I powered through. :)

Fun addition to the straight game.
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Hembree, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Vanta Soligen shavette
    Astra SP snapped (2)
    Dscosmetics synthetic brush
    Fine Snake Bite soap (old formula)
    Royal Copenhagen cologne

Edison Carter, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A22E0C61-41CD-4D0D-80AE-F0D03C09CD29.jpeg
    Kai Kamisori Shavette (just arrived)
    Feather Proguard blade
    Home made PSO
    Sara’s Creations shave soap
    Badger brush

Still getting used to this style. Opted to shave in a chair by the sink, rather than in the shower, so I could do this with glasses on. I definitely like this style better than the hinged ones. I did get a couple of little nicks on my thighs, but none on the calves. No problem switching hands with this type.

11. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Vanta Soligen shavette
    Feather blade-snapped (fresh)
    Hembree Delrin handle with synthetic knot
    Soap Commander Honor shave soap
    Royal Copenhagen cologne

12. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Dovo shavette
    Feather snapped blade (2)
    Hembree Delrin brush handle with synthetic knot
    Mike's Natural Soap - Honeysuckle
    Stetson aftershave splash

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As far as I know, that issue was resolved in an early redesign. There should only be a hundred or so out there with that problem. If it is 'gappy,' loosen the knob just a bit. Snug, not tight.

Hembree, Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    How did you like the ProGuard blades? I'm surprised you managed to knick yourself with them.

Hembree, Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  15. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you for the guidance.

Hembree, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The blades were pretty good. The shave was close and without irritation. As to getting a couple of nicks, I blame my own technique in 2 respects;
    1)I'm new to shavettes & didn't always maintain the right angle
    2) Leg hair can, like facial hair, grow in a couple of different directions, which is definitely the case on my thighs. The inside of the thigh is trickiest for me.

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Did a second shave with the Kai and the Proguard blade. I used the same blade for a second shave & it was fine. As I know I can get 2 shaves out of a DE blade, I had concerns about this (lots of “real estate” & only one edge).
    I am getting a handle (pun intended) on the angle & technique. Still got a couple of little nicks on my thighs, which are always a tricky area to shave.

I do enjoy the closeness of the shaves. I can go one to two days longer before I really need another shave. Only downside is that the blades cost a lot more.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Feather Kamisori with Proguard blade.
    Bergamot PSO
    Sara’s Creations shave soap
    Silver tip badgers brush
    Post-shave skin lotion

Nice & close but a little irritation. Maybe I used a bit too much pressure at times.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My "Kai Luffy" clone ended up being $17.20 after shipping. They asked if I would accept 20% back because the handle was the wrong color. I said sure. An hour later a wish customer service rep notified me that they were issuing a full refund. So, I now have a free pink handled razor, instead of the black handle I ordered. *sigh* Such is life.
    View attachment 256695
    It shaved okay. I found it frustrating because I kept wanting a shallower angle than I could get with this razor. The casting shows good design and execution. The finish is where this razor falls short. Edges are sharp, things don't line up like they could of with just a bit more care in the finishing process. The two halves of the razor are not quite symmetrical, one side being a bit thicker than the other. Not enough to change the feel of the shave as I switched hands, but there nonetheless.

I like it enough that I will go ahead and add a Kai Kasho Captain Woody to my list of razors to get in the future, and trust that it will have a narrower profile than the zinc cast clone, which is really my only complaint about the razor. All the other stuff can be overlooked in a less than $20 razor.

Would I recommend this razor over a Weck as a good starter razor for shavettes? Not if you are looking for that straight razor-like shave. It does shave well, but not outstandingly so. I found myself being far more impressed by the Feather Super Pro blades than the razor, to be honest. Based on my shave with this razor, I think the cheaper Feather and Kai razors are probably worth the investment over a Wish or Alibaba special, just for the better fit, finish, and materials.

This will make an excellent travel razor for me, I think.

jgreenepa and Edison Carter like this.
  20. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great review, Ryan! How do you like the Feather Super in the Tedalus? It’s become my blade of choice in that razor.

PLANofMAN likes this.