What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. brit

brit in a box

cool razor Tom..love the reserve..

TestDepth likes this.
  2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Tuckmar

Had a wonderful shave with this Vintage Solingen Blade .Just great steel that took a beautiful edge .
    rps20200117_001253_144.jpg

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary! This Reserve Cool smells great.

brit likes this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Harbono
    FE7CE361-C4BF-4259-A073-E8C0D9DA1C15.jpeg

I was Christmas gifted this razor by friend and fellow member here, @Steveclarkus. This razor was restored and honed by J.R. Rowe of Ca.

Not liking the edge for my use, I did a bevel to shave progression using films, a yellow Coticule and MMTT Thuringian, back to films plus chromium oxide pasted suede, 200k diamond pasted balsa hone and a final linen and horse hide finish to produce a same as shavette edge.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, she looks minty. What a great gift!

6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A3689FD5-48DA-40F2-A5AB-40954A6F1EC3.jpeg

Shave #65 on the Filly 14 Sub Cero, soap was Floris 89 lathered with a Tulip 2, and balm was also Floris 89. This soap is the famous disappearing lather version, it’s slick enough and the PSF is normal, but there won’t be any ‘white’ left after a minute or two on the face. It’s basically like using a brushless cream. No issues for a straight, you just can’t easily see where you’ve been. It does scent the room nicely! Hey if the scent is good enough for James Bond, it’s good enough for me.

The edge is holding up well, no complaints.

8. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I had a very enjoyable shave with two razors from J.A. Henckels today. Sterlings Almost Heaven on SHD two band badger provided great lather.

[​IMG]

9. Keithmax

A British shave today, Drew Dick smiling 7/8, TOBS, Kent BK 12 and some Hammam Bouquet.

ID - 2.jpeg

10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

7/8 Thiers- Issard Wolf and Ram Sheffield Steel

Had an awesome shave with this French made blade .This blade just effortlessly removed two days of growth .
    rps20200118_000326.jpg

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Torrey
    Wickham English Rose
    homemade brush
    [​IMG]

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shave #66 with the Filly Sub Cero. Might as well put a few shaves on it since it’s holding up well. Cream was D. R. Harris Marlborough, and a splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica finished up. It was an excellent shave.

Jayaruh, Karl G, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Steve, you must be getting very tired of using that same old razor all these months.

I'd be glad to 'take one for the team' and help you relocate it.

Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The last 2 days, I've been using this Genco 5/8 Henry's X. Getting pretty nice shaves with it. Bevel set on Chosera 1k, Naniwa 5/8/12, and finished on a Dan's Black Arkansas.
    IMG_20200117_152524.jpg

15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Wonderful shave with this old friend. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Mystic Water Brown Windsor
    Otto Busch Weltmeister Sonderklasse 265 11/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1492.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It does take a while to test them for sure Bill! I actually thought about your prediction of 75 shaves yesterday (#65), there’s a good chance that it will exceed that based on the shaves lately.

I took a loupe to it at 65, before stropping, and I’ve been kind of afraid to do that because I might see something ugly that would compel me to hone it. It looked surprisingly good. There were some shiny liney places but not that much, and a tiny, shallow 1/2 moon <1mm long where I accidentally let the end of a fingernail touch the edge. Other than that, the edge is fairly straight and even, really kind of normal looking. That’s quite remarkable considering the razor has made ~150 passes across my face, and over 6,500 passes across the strop.

Edison Carter likes this.
  17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Pulled out the big 8/8 F.W. Engels for Saturday’s shave. With the big Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson car auction going on, I figured the C3 Corvette shift knob brush would be fun.
    D9BAD36A-5A7E-438B-BACC-C93B10BC5E5F.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

18. Keithmax

My treasured SK-3

ID - 1.jpeg

Jayaruh, TestDepth, GAW9576 and 7 others like this.
  19. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Michael Waterhouse Custom FBU Smiler
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    Declaration Grooming | Weinstrasse Shaving Soap
    Chatillon Lux | Weinstrasse Eau de Toilette

20. brit

brit in a box

awesome pic James..