What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Newly acquired, restored, and honed. First shave went smooth as silk. Fantastic 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Great shaving and handling razor.

Razor- Filarmonica 13. Doble Temple. Spain
    Brush- B400 by Tom(@twhite ) Boar knot
    Soap-/Cream- Art Of Shaving OUD.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Willy's Jeep Decanter.

P2111264.JPG

2. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

That’s a BIG razor. I have 1 8/8 and find it huge. I can’t imagine that thing. You must have to be so steep under the nose.

It’s gorgeous!

Didn’t have a camera handy this morning, but used a Case Red Imp 33 and Declaration Grooming Trismegistus for a real nice shave. A couple days out of town for a quick trip to Boston. Guess who forgot to pack a strop? At least I strop after each shave so it wasn’t terrible.

3. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Honed up this Japanese beauty earlier today on a known Jnat progression since I was having difficulty with this harder steel on another Jnat using a different tomo. Now I can continue some testing with this razor using other finishers and 2 other tomo (each progressively harder than the one used here).

Manaslu M-55 (Y. Akamatsu)
    ροΔιυm badger (Srdjan)
    Pannacrema Nuàvia Verde
    Geo. F. Trumper’s Coral skin food

CC3E8ADA-1536-4165-9265-67848ABA241D.jpeg

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Steve56 and Chuck Naill like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Doroscher Harbono 5/8
    45D92C94-A7E2-4570-89FD-CF38FCA5A003.jpeg
    I've gotten fairly accustomed to this razor. Sometimes I do 15 on suede with chromium oxide, 50-60 on 200k diamond followed by linen and horse hide. Other times just a 25/50 stropping. When I got it, it decided to take it back to a full hone after the first shave. Perhaps others can get what they want with stones alone, but I choose to use a combination of films, stones, and paste. This progression has produced a consistent edge for the collection I've amassed. Good shaves to all today. :eatdrink013:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

1 notch... cool
    2 notches... cooler
    3 notches... ice cold :)
    Parkin & Marshall provided the “coolness” in last nights shave.
    F63E30FC-3DA3-435C-825E-D51F425DA67F.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Keithmax, Primotenore, esvh and 11 others like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I joined the Filly parade with today’s shave. Wonderful as usual :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Frankensoap (odds and ends melted together)
    Filarmonica 13 Novodur 6/8
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1577.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

Keithmax, Primotenore, esvh and 11 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

9BDAE0ED-3366-42CF-BC92-830F92A78985.jpeg

More Filly love! Shave #75 with the Filly 14 Sub Cero edge longevity test. Cream was SMN lathered with the ‘hippie’ brush, and the AS was SMN body balm. It’s still doing very well and has surprised me.

I had gotten an average of 65 shaves from a Cape 1000 Swedish Steel and a Filly 14 Doble Temple, and had no intention of doing another edge test, but I became curious about the Sub Cero’s ‘ice hardened’ steel and people’s comments questioning whether there was an actual difference or just marketing jargon. At this post, the razor is +15% over the others above and the edge is in much better shape, so I believe that question is answered. Really I did not expect much difference. the only question left is how many more shaves are in that edge.

Iwasaki claimed a barber got 1,000 shaves with only linen and leather (documented in his book chapter for barbers), Alfredo got 130 or so from TI which also has hard steel, and Victor (Bluesman Blades, https://bluesmanblades.com/) has 99 on a razor. So on we go.

Keithmax, esvh, alex1921 and 10 others like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:bounce017:
    Cheers for the endurance.
    :bounce017:
    Cheers that I didn't make a bet on 75.
    :cool:

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  10. atbat82

[​IMG]

Suzumasa 6/8 Frameback for me today. These Japanese Framebacks are sweet shavers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, speedster, esvh and 9 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s a sweet frameback.

Karl G, esvh, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You know, if you put 2 notches in the scales à la Dovo Flowing, you’d have 5 notches. Just sayin’. :)

speedster, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

7C12293D-16FE-4215-BC8F-AC886AA924EF.jpeg Round two for the Doroscher. Last night I did 15 chromium oxide pasted suede, 60 200k diamond pasted balsa followed by linen and horse.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's a Rolls Royce shave, Steve.

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Impressive razor, Keith. My face isn't large enough to wield such a beast.

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 2 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    I Want a Filly...:drool:

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Took this little sweetheart out again this morning, a Hoshi Tombo 6000 on loan from a friend. Soap was 3P lathered with a Simpsons 58, and a little ABC balm finished up a BDBS shave. Good stuff all. These asymmetric Japanese westerns just shave really well.

1BCD06C4-F3CD-48AE-B4AD-1C184FA469E2.jpeg

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 7 others like this.
  18. atbat82

Do you shave with both sides or have you mastered the one handed contortions?

Edison Carter, esvh and Karl G like this.
  19. atbat82

[​IMG]

All this Fili talk... I had to break out my little guy. I think this is shave 4 since I got it (no idea how many shaves the last owner had on it), but there are no signs of the edge deteriorating. Hopefully it goes another dozen shaves (while I learn to hone on a less pretty razor!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, oscar11, esvh and 7 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I shave with both sides - you get used to laying the asymmetric side down a little more pretty easily.