What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Beautiful... can’t argue, Special Quality indeed. :happy088:

atbat82, esvh and Karl G like this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Beautiful razor and scales. Love the washers too.

That's a fine looking razor and I love the micarta scales. It's a shame it's unwieldy to use. I'd offer to adopt it but I probably couldn't afford the adoption fees.

3. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

ERN 2250 the eagle and the snake.

[​IMG]

4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Repeat with the Herder #49. Last night I did 15 laps on CrO pasted suede followed by 60 on 200k diamond pasted balsa.

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful razor Ian.

Today is shave 76 on the Filly 14 Sub Cero edge, nothing to see here, move along, lol. Cream was SMN lathered with a Simpson 58 in a Stirling bowl, AS was SMN fluid body cream.

What a properly made, honed, and maintained straight razor edge is capable of has always amazed me. 76 is not a big number as numbers go, but to put a little different perspective on it, it’s made about 200 passes across my face and 7600 passes across a strop, plus a hundred or more on canvas/linen. I’ve often wondered why DE blades don’t last this long. But I suppose that if they did, a 5-pack would cost $100!

6. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dovo Flowing this morning (after shave tested The Herold Bro’s I honed yesterday). Real nice shave. This razor really sings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Dubl Duck Wonderedge did the trick this morning. Steady as she goes and lovely finish. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5/8
    Thayers Rose Petal With Hazel

IMG_1586.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

8. TestDepth

Maiden voyage of the latest project...
    Wade & Butcher
    52C45C31-74A0-4880-B786-3D20B53CDA91.jpeg

Still keep playing with my interpretation of the W&B Ottoman Egyptian and Royal Windsor Razor.

Good donor razor this time. Just the crack at the heel that gave me “permission” to start cutting. :)
    AE710431-E6EA-40C2-A671-42AEBE066702.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Beautiful work Tom, just beautiful.

esvh, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  10. TestDepth

Thank you Steve. Very enjoyable razor to use. The long swooping tang is very comfortable.

esvh and Karl G like this.
  11. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Great Restore Tom
    I love how Old Sheffield Steel shaves.Smooth a silk if honed properly.

Keithmax, esvh, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  12. TestDepth

Thanks Mike.
    I know there are many ways to get there, but the steel seems to play well with Coticules... been my Sheffield go-to lately.

esvh, M14Shooter and Karl G like this.
  13. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Great work. That looks like it was meant to be that way.

TestDepth, esvh and Karl G like this.
  14. TestDepth

Thank you. That means a lot.

esvh, GAW9576 and Karl G like this.
  15. M14Shooter

A Coticule and Sheffield Steel is a great match for a super smooth edge .I have also had great luck with using Welch Slate ,Thuri and Yellow Lake Stone .I think the key to optimize a Sheffield edge is to keep the Finishing Capacity of the stone in the 10K-14K Range . Above that range can make the edge scary sharp and not as friendly in my humble opinion .

16. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

I used the ERN wald solingen 2250 with haslinger schafsmilch.

Loud razor and good shave.

17. M14Shooter

1963 Stiz Sport
    Had a great shave using this Vintage Russian Straight .It was made in my birth year.The blade removed two days of growth with little effort .Blade handles very well rps20200217_230739_905.jpg .

Steve56, speedster, TestDepth and 7 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Apparently I can't find the secret code to honing Sheffield razors. With the W&B I tried Gokuymo 20k, then a Shapton glass 16k, both were OK, sharp enough to shave with but not as sharp as I like. I also tied following the stones with various pasted strops, CrOx, FeO3 as well as diamond. So I dialed it back this time finishing on a Naniwa 12k then CroX. Smooth but still not as sharp as I like it.

I lent a friend my Zulu Grey, I will retrieve it and see if can do any better. Otherwise my Sheffield razors are going on the auction block.

IMG_8077 (1).jpeg

19. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Circa 1930’s Leo Kochs Marcella 11/16, 200k diamond edge, same as shavette
    8A44C13D-321F-44EB-88EA-9F9216B2E9A7.jpeg

Keithmax, TestDepth, atbat82 and 3 others like this.
  20. M14Shooter

I find that in general non- hollow ground Sheffield blades require more time and gymnastics on the stones.Sometimes they need one or two later of tape to deal with spine issues .I would try using Sharpton glass up to 16K.Than use a J-Nat Finisher to smooth the feeling of the edge.After that use Surgical Black or Translucent Arkansas with oil to coax more keenness from blade.I think you will like that finishing combo.Also check in the early stages that the razor cuts hair along the whole bevel not just one small area.Wedges and near Wedges bevels can be a pain to set uniformly. Hope this helps Keith .

Keithmax, TestDepth, Karl G and 4 others like this.