What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I agree. Wedges(Near Wedges), can be a pain, to hone. I only have a few that I enjoy shaving with. But, I enjoy the Sheffield Hollows.

Keithmax, esvh, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6/8 ivory Joseph Rodgers, soap was MdC fougere lathered with. Rooney Beehive 1. A splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica finished up a perfect BDBS shave.

This razor has always been a stupendous shaver - like shaving with your index finger. I think we all know that some razors just shave better than others, even if among the same brand and model. It’s a very light razor, and handles like a 5/8 or 11/16.

5B40B423-7E2A-4C0A-B0F1-308A979D0FD6.jpeg

speedster, Keithmax, esvh and 9 others like this.
  3. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A pair of Genco’s this morning. I honed both yesterday and figured a half-face shave for each would be a good test. One is a Gold Seal and the other a Henry’s X. Both shaved well, but not as smooth as I would want. More to learn.

In other news, I’m obsessed with this soap and AS. “Grapefruit, Rose, and Childhood Memories...” are the scent notes. Haven’t tried a lot of grapefruit (and if I didn’t get this in a trade, I’d never have picked up a grapefruit scent) but I’m really digging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedster, Keithmax, esvh and 9 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Stirling makes a good grapefruit soap.

Edison Carter, Karl G and atbat82 like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Still scrolling back to look at that modified blade - beautiful in all respects :drool:

Keithmax, Steve56, esvh and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Newly acquired, restored, and honed. I had an excellent 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Zero issues. Whoever Cutlery World acquired their blades from, they were phenomenally made. This is some very hard steel, that takes on a wickedly sharp edge. It reminds me of high quality Swedish Silver Steel. BTW, the dark spots on the razor are shadows from the flash.

Razor- Cutlery World. Solingen
    Brush- Vintage C-MON A-4, with the original knot, cropped 1/2 inch. Aluminum handle was also restored. Original was too floppy.
    Soap- Wholly Kaw, OUD.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Buffalo Nickel Decanter.

P2181279.JPG

7. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are getting use out of that genco. I hated to sell it. But glad it has a good home. The custom scales are just gorgeous.

8. atbat82

That’s a great razor and the scales are gorgeous! Good to see you over here! I still lurk at the other forum, but don’t post much.

9. Suhrim21

Yup I'm the opposite. I need to be more active here but posting pics here is just more time consuming than over there so I dont post here as often as I would like. But I will be getting together some photos of the razors I have acquired over the past few months and posting here as well as the brushes. I really do need to be more active here.

10. atbat82

I’ve found Tapatalk on mobile helps a lot. It’s the only way I could figure out how to post pictures. It’s not perfect, but works well enough. I just find the straight razor community a lot more active here.

11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

You may not post as much as you would like, but I appreciate your posts none the less.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, esvh, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Karl.

esvh, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Hardware company out of Buffalo, NY... Wallbridge & Co.

My gut says it’s a Sheffield blade, but no markings other than what you see. I’m guessing maybe just before the turn of the century. Heavy grind, call it 1/4 hollow with wedge-like tendencies :). I like the shape of the toe being the widest part of the blade.

2C2A85FB-AEDC-4C65-9F26-01EE2B8D8FAD.jpeg
    Another Coticule edge on this one.
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

speedster, Keithmax, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  14. Suhrim21

Thank you

esvh likes this.
  15. SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer Well-Known Member

Herder 77 fresh off the hone. I thought I had it dialed in last night, but 1st pass proved I wasn’t quite there. Plenty extra time this morning so I went back to the hone and tried a new progression: Glass 2k then a couple JNATs. Did the trick and I had a great shave.

Stirling Scots Pine
    WCS “Lantern”
    Stirling Sandpiper Splash + Balm
    2BDD3768-BA84-4496-9662-7392281D9D9D.jpeg

16. atbat82

[​IMG]

Suzumasa Frameback this morning. Fantastic razor and a great shave. This is my only Japanese Frameback at the moment, but I could see that changing soon.

17. atbat82

Totally off topic, but I'm curious the order you apply when you use a splash and a balm. I typically like the antiseptic quality of a good splash, but in winter my skin dries out a lot. I was thinking about adding a balm as well. Do you apply it after the splash? Do you let the splash completely dry first?

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

After the splash for me, after the splash has dried.

Edison Carter and atbat82 like this.
  19. SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer Well-Known Member

Balm after splash. I probably use a touch less splash whenever I follow with the balm, such that it would be hard to apply balm while still wet w/splash- even if I tried. I don’t really think about much so I suggest trying your products at the natural pace- then adjust if you get the sense your face should dry more pre-balm.

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Manaslu M100, soap was the sadly discontinued Savonnerie Des Volcans Lavande Orange (it’s mostly orange), and a little L’OP Cedrat (with an orange note) finished up.

27481A4F-2D10-4786-989C-B3F4AE577553.jpeg