What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E. A. Berg frameback, the maiden shave fresh off the rocks. Soap was Mdc agrumes and a splash of Myrsol Limon finished up. The shave was excellent, very close and smooth, but I think that it could be better so I’m going back to 4k, pre-finisher, then the stone that hard steel likes (and this is very hard steel). The one that I finished the Filly 14 Sub Cero with.

1712FEA7-6336-4223-887A-7486B12FA534.jpeg

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice shave today. Smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Zero issues.

Razor- Joseph Elliot's Best silver steel.
    Brush- RazoRock 400 HM Badger
    Soap- ARKO Stick
    Aftershave- Florida Water

P4071337.JPG

Edison Carter, esvh, BearCWY and 9 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A big 7/8 Koraat with a 3/4 grind.

IMG_8531.jpeg

4. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

This mornings Shave

William's Special Razor
    Wholly Kaw Vetililac
    MÜHLE Classic, X-Large Brown Horn Silvertip 26mm
    Aspen Cologne

42.jpg

5. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Ertan Süer Legend Köroglu - Rasoir Sabre France

925C2C90-3535-4C28-AEAC-7A1293F8CFAD.jpeg

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another satisfying shave with Grandpa Val’s Never Fail. The soap, however, was another story. I got this as a gift some years ago. It’s a well known brand and I always expect more than it delivers. Hope springs eternal and I gave it another try today. Nope, not happening. :prrr:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Romera Wengue Chubby Manchurian Badger
    Geo F Trumper Lime Shave Soap
    Nielsen’s Never Fail 5/8
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

IMG_1729.jpg

Happy shaving - Karl

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

E. A. Berg this morning after a touchup, still not ‘there’ I’m afraid, the shave was close and clean, smooth, but not as smooth as others and there was a little irritation. I did note that the root-in HHT with this razor has not been what I want, so back to the stones. I suspect that it just needs more stone time, it’s some of the hardest steel I’ve ever honed - if I ever get this thing right I’ll probably never have to hone it again. Cream was unscented XPEC blended with some finely grated Floris Elite hard soap, since Floris hard soaps won’t lather, lol. A Keyhole 3 did the mixology and Myrsol AB finished things up. Back to the rocks, some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you. No offense @BearCWY lol.

ACE7192D-4863-45BE-B98C-11EE7030A86C.jpeg

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

In a weird way I hope this razor continues to be just a little "off"... just nice to keep seeing this razor :eatdrink047:

esvh, Keithmax, BearCWY and 3 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thanks Tom, it is a beauty. Bad images on eBay, didn’t look good because of the blued blade, couldn’t tell if there was corrosion, etc. Really lucked out.

It was made no later than 1888 according to Arne over at B&B because E. A. Berg won an award in Boston in 1888 and this appeared on the tang stamp afterwards. It’s at least 132 years old and is basically new.I know why it was never used though, anyone in the past probably couldn’t put a decent edge on it!

Edison Carter, esvh, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

I was actually your runner-up Steve. I had a feeling it was going to be a beauty, and it definitely is. Congrats - it went to a great home!

esvh, Keithmax, BearCWY and 2 others like this.
  11. TestDepth

Going with the “man Steve has nice razors” theme... I went with the large Clauss.

Not the Barber’s Special, but a similar size coming in at a solid 7/8”. Sporting a smooth Coticule edge, it is just a pleasure to use.
    CF4F61A3-8C55-43A9-ACFE-6A4CA2751462.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

12. Keithmax

Koraat 14 2.0 double bellied hollow. Ulrik does make a fine razor.

IMG_8534.jpeg

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here’s a rare view for the gentlemen at TSN, me using the same razor 3 days in a row. The reason of course is that the edge wasn’t cooperating with me, so it was getting my attention. But today I am glad to say that the edge is ‘there’, or 99% there, smooth and close with no tingle from the AS at all. It still might be a bit better so I may make one more round on the finisher, but I do not feel compelled to do that. The cream was SMN lathered with a TOBS brush and Myrsol AB finished up a BBS+ shave.

If this edge lasts as many passes as it took to hone it, I’ll never have to hone it again, lol.

4B5BEDCD-0F6E-4CE1-B299-9432E29AD963.jpeg

14. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I suppose with a seven day set (I admire such sets, I did not expect to own one) I should be using the ‘same’ razor every day. So every Wacker day for me is Saturday. I better step up to some other days of the week, or sell the excess to guys who will shave with them. The other days’ horn scales are even prettier! Maybe admiring them is enough.
    5EBAD6A9-21ED-48C1-ADBF-2CCF92B22607.jpeg

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is a razor made of "Swedish Silver Steel", forged in Germany, for the Japanese market, with English script/writing on it. Well, in any case, this one has a checkered history with me, giving me several good cuts, slices, and nicks, on different occasions. Today though, was a fantastic 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS( Baby Dolphin Butt Smooth). Zero issues, just a fantastic shaving razor.

Razor- "Respect" 4. Germany. Best Silver Steel. Extra Hollow Ground
    Brush- @jtspartan special . Omega Boar knot
    Soap- Wholly Kaw. OUD scented
    Aftershave- Pinaud Lime Sec

P4091338.JPG

16. Keithmax

:love029:

BearCWY, Karl G, esvh and 1 other person like this.
  17. Keithmax

A very big girl today, 8/8+ Osiris with a 3/4 grind.

IMG_8540.jpeg

18. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tonights Shave

Maubert & Sauzedde
    Denim Shaving Cream
    Rubberset 400/4 Silvertip 24mm
    Denim Original Aftershave

34a.jpg

19. TestDepth

Sticking with some big U.S. steel..,
    7/8” Maher & Grosh out of Toledo, Ohio.
    6AF7265B-2405-4BD5-B663-86563FA79C97.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

20. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Tonight's shave

Razor - 6/8" Tanifuji BaBa

Strop - Tony Miller 3" Steerdovan

Brush - Brush made by Hyloworks on the other forum

Bowl - Captain's Choice Lather Bowl

Soap - Crowne & Crane Tobacco Leaf & Amber. I got this soap from a PIF. Since I cant see my nephew for a bit I had to try the soap since I love tobacco scented grooming products. Now I'm hoping my nephew doesn't like it so I can keep it.

Aftershave - Whiskey Woods. I have the tobacco leaf and amber balm but I was thinking whiskey woods would compliment this soap really well and it did. Whiskey woods is cheaper than the balm.

20200409_202335_compress56.jpg