What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

C.V. Heljestrand MK31
    Suds: LPL Rose de Pushkar
    Splash: Razorock The Dead Sea
    C6FB998D-73A5-4D4F-B8C4-E11D83186FF5.jpeg
    Made for a very nice Tuesday shave.
    ABAE3652-7FD4-40E7-9B58-0F7EB61696C8.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Jayaruh, Keithmax, esvh and 9 others like this.
  2. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

My wife is Swedish/ Norwegian 5’9. A true Viking with a temper that comes along with those genes. Is it not funny that we always find that women from other countries are more exotic?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Hmm... I'm a quarter Norwegian myself, and I married an English/Scottish girl.

A thought just occurred to me- isn't it funny how so many Swedish razors are slender with blonde scales? Coincidence?

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, esvh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. lottenhem

Could be, however I guess that half of my Swedish razors are with black scales and half with white. Half of the whites are Ivory...
    Apparently Swedes likes elephants

esvh, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Maybe we'd better leave it there...

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

6. lottenhem

Oh yeah!

7. lottenhem

Wednesday morning, Shizu Saburo. I am not sure about what I about this razor, a little bit tricky to use. Could be that the technique required isn’t in place enough. Quite handy under the nose and around the chin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh, Keithmax, esvh and 8 others like this.
  8. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

9. lottenhem

I see, the clarification was on the website Eskilstunaknivar.se:

Eskilstuna iron manufactory, later Jernbolaget, was founded as a company in 1868. When it comes to knives, Jernbolaget was mainly a wholesaler and made orders from various manufacturers / subcontractors. The iron company's symbol was the Anchor with E and crown. Jernbolaget was such a large wholesaler that the names of the subcontractors were not made visible. However, the blacksmith Anders Johan Westersson discreetly used to hit "AJW" on the thin knives he delivered to Jernbolaget.

esvh, DrStrange, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  10. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

6/8 RIKI SHIA

A new blade for me today. I've had this for a while. Was a little hesitant. The blade is heavy with what I think is a double convex ground blade?????

I honed her last night and stropped her a few hundred laps this morning. Time to give it a try. Had to get the feel of the scales and how the blade was most comfortable along the skin. Only a little time and patience, and this blade easily shaved my face clean. The first pass took just about every whisker to the skin. Smooth glide through the shaving cream. Rinsed and re-lathered for a second pass. The second pass provided a wonderful clean shave. Even the hard to get cross hair at a man's throat. Gone.

Finished with a witch hazel cleaning. A hot shower and Creed Royal OUD for the start of a good day.

I will certainly look forward to becoming more familiar with this beautiful razor.

riki.jpg

riki1.jpg

riki2.jpg

Jayaruh, Keithmax, taskind and 9 others like this.
  11. Claude Stewart

She’s a pretty one

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

TestDepth, lottenhem, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Top notch, clean and smooth, no drama shave with one of my Russkies :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip Badger
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    1961 Paketa STIZ 11/16
    Castle Forbes Lavender After Shave Balm

86EB2FDD-434D-48CC-96D8-2390AFBB7A04.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Jayaruh, Keithmax, taskind and 10 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The old dependable Filly Sub Cero and Santa Maria Novella were up for a spin today, with a fresh edge on the Filly. A splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica made for a perfect shave.

E72738D0-6324-4608-92C9-1E8EB3600025.jpeg

15. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Great looking addition to your rotation Claude! I am a fan of those black with gold scales.

16. Claude Stewart

Thanks. I was a bit intimidated by the blade. But, as I wrote, it performed beautifully.

17. Claude Stewart

Hi Karl,
    Interested in your razor. You say that’s Russian made? Does it hold an edge well? Interested because I’m not familiar with their metal works. Just wondering if you like the quality?

Thanks

18. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It’s a wonderful razor. @DaltonGang started a Russian Razor thread some time ago where you can find lots of stuff. Long story short, they hold an edge really well but can take a long time to put a bevel on. There are two main factories where they were made - ZTV and STIZ. I somewhat favor those made by ZTV but I’m sure that’s one of those YMMV things. In general, anything before the 70s is likely to be good buy and will provide a good shave. :happy088:

Once you get into the 70s it can be a little more hit and miss. I have one from the 70s that I like and I had another that I’ve since sold that I liked as well - but you are taking a little bit of a gamble. Currently I have 5 Russians, a 1941 that is one of my favorite razors, two from 1956 (one ZTV, one STIZ), today’s shave from 1961, and the previously mentioned one from the 70s.
    I’m a fan :happy093:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Billyfergie, esvh, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  19. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

You went above and beyond the call of duty.
    Thank you very very much.

20. Claude Stewart

Thank you. Very interesting.