What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Jeff, here’s a shoulderless rattler for you today since it’s frameback Friday.

This Jonathan Crookes rattler came in a few days ago, another badly photographed eBay razor that no one was interested in except me. But apparently it’s NOS, never been used and in it’s original coffin. The horn scales are in good shape for around 175 years old, and the two slight mist spots cleaned up without pitting.It’s spent most of the time since its arrival with neatsfoot oil on the scales.

Soap and AS were Floris Elite and the Brush a M&F Finest

E646F13B-333A-40F7-93E3-7BECCFB354B8.jpeg AC369144-ED57-455B-A4C1-B82F92ACCF2F.jpeg 41CD1F15-0B08-4E83-BA08-E54F9E34B440.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Jeff!

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great find, Steve! You have a marvelous eye! Would you have a before picture?

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you for the kind words Jeff, Here ya go, 3 of the seller’s images.

259F0EC9-894E-4F99-BBC2-5543AFB52710.jpeg A1BD2848-C966-4532-AABE-033D5B999EA0.jpeg 0F5B8C1A-2338-4051-B843-BE5659451AE8.jpeg

Karl G, jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  5. jgreenepa

7DE1C957-F945-4EBE-8A17-C8A826EA1518.png
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 26, 2021

RAZOR: H. Hobson Full Wedge 6/8 (Mug), Leresche 77 (Dome)
    BLADE: Wilkinson Sword DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here’s a tip for those looking at poor images of razors or hones on auction sites: download or screenshot the images and adjust them in Lightroom/Photoshop, etc for a better idea of defects and so on. Especially Japanese sellers and JNat hones. Download those and pull the saturation down 30% rofl!

Anyway, these are the adjusted seller’s images of the Crookes, the seller’s images were mostly badly underexposed, but in a digital image, the detail is still there. They’re not what it will look like either, but it let me do two important things before bidding. One, I knew that there was no deep pitting and maybe most importantly, the blade wasn’t cracked. I could also tell that the scales were in at least decent shape.

5760400D-8EBE-48F5-AC11-F131521C0902.jpeg 62BBCD1A-85B8-4604-A14C-61C3EBC6D461.jpeg 821F6F62-E357-4D03-9ED8-745C13D016F3.jpeg

7. jgreenepa

Thanks for the pointers, Steve! Much appreciated!

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW Jeff, this technique on bad images has helped me avoid ‘unpleasant razors’ a time or two. The problem is that you don’t know if the seller is trying to cover up defects with bad photography or the razor is fine and the seller is just a bad photographer. Anything that helps you as a buyer/bidder is a good thing I suppose.

Karl G, jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  9. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Go for it Jeff, tape is not good in my opinion. You change the angle of the edge. I think you have to kill the edge before you try without tape to make a fresh start.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  10. lottenhem

Thanks Jeff! It is really good, also the TI, Ralf Aust and Böker makes good razors. However old Swedish razors are much better in my opinion. Just my opinion to be political correct

Steve56 and jgreenepa like this.
  11. jgreenepa

That’s the plan, Hans, Thanks!

Steve56, Karl G and lottenhem like this.
  12. jgreenepa

6C41F9FF-C451-4471-AC42-0858EAC4E508.png
    SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER, 2021

RAZOR: Klas Tornblom 4/8 (Mug), Gillette New LC
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE #005 Aluminum Handled SybBad Knot
    CREAM: Kapo Fresh Menthol
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Steve56, Karl G, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

A wonderful Friday shave…
    Filarmonica Doble Temple 14
    Sold in Argentina
    Brush: Shavemac
    Suds: AoS Sandalwood

I do love the gold on a Filarmonica, but having the retailer’s info on the blade face is a fun differentiator for me.
    75F47D2E-907C-4298-8067-27A7E363A577.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

taskind, Steve56, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  14. lottenhem

The Klas are wonderful razors, the tricky part is to get the edge on them. Hard as Hell, but the edge last for a “lifetime”.

15. lottenhem

Saturday morning shave, Thiers Issard Spartacus. Nice shave, this might be the heaviest razor I have. Splash Floris Turnbull and Asser ( surprise or not… )
    [​IMG]

taskind, Steve56, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

Lovely razor, Tom! Never go wrong with a Filly shave!

lottenhem, taskind, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  17. jgreenepa

True, Hans, I needed to pull out the very aggressive stones I use for sharpening my W2 and Cru Forge V chef knife steel. It did the trick!

18. TestDepth

Thank you Jeff! No argument with that. :eatdrink047:

jgreenepa, Karl G and lottenhem like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Kikuboshi 6500 Silver Steel, soap was MdC rose lathered with a M&F Finest, and Czech and Speake 88 AS finished up a fine Sunday morning shave.

0877DBA0-C564-4257-8E09-0C06214BDC44.jpeg

20. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

GD 208 (modded) in a Cella shave.

Cella resized.jpg

Fantastic triple pass shave (last pass with Valet Auto Strop and carbon steel blade-not shown).