What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

:signs001: Joe!

Karl G, jgreenepa, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Joe!

The round nose 14s are not as common. I bought that one NOS from a friend on another forum still sealed in it’s factory bag. When I bought it, I did not know that it was a round nose version!

3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

057BF663-76FE-4DF3-B75A-9D3ECB7102E5.jpeg
    SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 1, 2021

I thought I’d kick off December with the Barbasol Floating Head and the huge Edgar Allan Poe 8/8 stubtail. I’ve told the stubtail’s story before, but in a nutshell, this huge unsharpened 225 yr old, unused, NOS blade ended up along with another of similar vintage at Glen Mercurio’s(@gssixgun) shop, apparently taken in trade some years ago. Glen had forgotten the specifics. The blade was imported at the latest in 1815 from Sheffield, England by the Richmond, Va. Mercantile firm of Ellis & Allan, in business from 1801 - 1824. John Allan, the stepfather of Edgar Allan Poe, was the American UK resident agent and partner with his friend, Richard Ellis, residing in the states. This is the rationale for the stubtail’s name.

After purchase, it was honed, not an insignificant undertaking on this huge full wedge of almost Bowie knife proportions, and dressed in bone scales with period brass pins, custom beehive washers, and fitted with an amber wedge. Although it looks unwieldy, it balances beautifully in hand, but given its size requires some careful handling during the two and a half pass mug shaving process. Despite these drawbacks, and the need for both hands on this hefty, huge blade during the last half pass of neck stubble flatblading cleanup, the result was a porcelain smooth mug.

RAZOR: Edgar Allan Poe Stubtail 8/8 (Mug), Barbasol Floating Head (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute fitted with 26mm Boar Knot Ferrule
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

Karl G, Zykris, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  4. jgreenepa

Beautiful frameback, Tom! I have one as well! Yours is in better condition.

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Love the scales on that razor, Blair!

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Cool Filly, Steve! I haven’t seen many round nosed ones!

Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Awesomeness has arrived in your neck of the woods Jeff!

Karl G, jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Jeff, the round nosed 14s are more uncommon.

9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

dec022021_HDR.jpg
    December 2nd

BAUME.BE Shaving Cream
    2019 30DC LE w/Omega Boar
    J3 Customs Kamisori
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Star Jelly (unscented), Aftershave & Cologne (Malbolge)

Karl G, DaltonGang, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  10. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe!

Karl G, Trigger and TestDepth like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Very cool-looking Kamisori, Blair! I assume a symmetrical grind? Hope all is well with you and yours! Great to see you posting again!

12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thanks Jeff!

Yes, this kamisori is a symmetrical grind.

13. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe, it is actually not a frame back! It is grinded to look like one.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks for letting me know Hans. I learned something new.:signs021:

Karl G, jgreenepa and lottenhem like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve been getting into boar more (see what I did there?) and needed a few more bucks for free shipping from Maggard, so I threw a red handled Omega 49 in the cart. At 15% of it was about $8.50. It arrived yesterday. I agree that the handle feels too light, but since it’s hollow - maybe you could drill a little hole in the bottom and fill it with resin? Anyone done this?

I test lathered it up and it’s a lather cannon. I’ve never been a lather pr0n guy, but this thing does it all by itself. The lather image is a good loading of MdC then bowl lathered in a slow feeder bowl to really work the knot and get out some boar funk which was actually not very bad.

The tips could be felt on the first shave, but I assume that will abate after a while. The cream was about 1/2g of AdP and AdP Colonia Intensa was the AS. Razor was a Shell 72 Silver Steel by Perfect Works. This is the first full width Perfect Works Silver Steel with a different nose shape aside from the Cape 650, all the others appear to be the same razor - Kikuboshi 6500, Robuso 216, Rifuto 815, Shell 92, Cape 500 …

1F55E0BD-D2BB-4A32-A88A-03405B3B7577.jpeg 1B9EC5B9-6CC6-4193-B3A6-8CCBACDE3D72.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  16. lottenhem

Joe, here from another angle:
    [​IMG]

Karl G, DaltonGang, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  17. jgreenepa

3FBBAB70-C900-477C-84F6-D19F47D1E358.png
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 3, 2021

RAZOR: Wade & Butcher 7/8 (Mug), SS Supply (Dome)
    BLADE: Schick Injector Twinblade
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE #007 Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent AS Balm.

Karl G, DaltonGang, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  18. lottenhem

Friday morning shave, Geneva Cutlery 6/8”. Smooth as a peach .
    Splash Floris No.127
    [​IMG]

Karl G, DaltonGang, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Can’t beat that fine-grained NY steel, Hans! My Genco 35 holds a great edge as well!

Karl G, TestDepth, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Gauthier rattler from Pont St Esprit, a souvenir from a past trip, 10€ at a brocante, but the scales were toast. No problem though @Doc226 fixed me up with some Turkish burl scales. Soap was ABC new version lathered with a SOC and a dab of Cade AS balm finished off Friday’s shave.

86866B1E-EA43-4922-88BC-C3D24C1C6185.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.