What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

how do the vintage dovo razors shave and compare to the latest shavers from dovo?

lindyhopper66, vwp528 and oscar11 like this.
  2. Dubs

Dubs Well-Known Member

Tonight was my first straight razor shave. I tried both of my whipped dog razors. I got the right side of my face close and smooth but it wasnt BBS. The chin, lips, and left side of my face wasnt smooth. I have a bad left shoulder injury with range of motion limitations, and using my left hand proved pretty difficult. All in all, it was a good experience. I can see and appreciate the steep learning curve. I did get a few very minor weepers that barely did more than surface to the skin. It coulda been much worse!

As for the neck...yeah...that left a lot to be desired. I did try and I did reduce down the stubble, it didnt even look clean. Thas gonna take some time.

I followed up with my DE and got BBS. The DE did seem to glide much more effortlessly. Plus, I got to experiment with some TSD creams and soaps. Tonight was good and satisfying. :bounce015:

Seabs, ObiDon, oscar11 and 4 others like this.
  3. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Iberia 14

DSCF1937.JPG

ObiDon, txskimo, vwp528 and 3 others like this.
  4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

You do not have to use both hands. Use your good arm/hand to shave. If you have the angle right, you should be shaving fine.

I find I can get by with one WTG pass on the cheeks to within one inch from the jawline. There I go across the grain.

The neck can take 4 passes in all directions before, it feels smooth. The chin is hardest to shave properly. You need to treat it more delicately with WTG a few times or WTG and ATG.

It does take a good while to feel competent with a straight razor and even after you think you have it down pat, you can still cut yourself.

I've continually learned that I need to lightly shave and also to keep the angle lower than is usually specified. Also, different size or grind razors have to handled a bit differently.

Seabs, ObiDon, vwp528 and 3 others like this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

5/8 Nev-A-Hone
    De Vergulde Hand
    homemade boar
    Nice shave this morning. I ended up giving away my favorite brush to a coworker so I'm trying a wood handled brush made to the same specs as my old favorite. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    ObiDon, txskimo, vwp528 and 4 others like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first go with this newly-honed (and finished!) Geo Wostenholm 6/8 frame back. Keen edge and a hefty weight to this old razor…:happy088: More shots Here
    [​IMG]

ObiDon, oscar11, txskimo and 4 others like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today I used one of the straights I hauled last week.
    it was the roughest one of the bunch, but I liked the weight and size of the razor.
    wade& butcher.
    it's a 6/8 full hollow with sort of a square end.
    I liked the thick shoulder. makes honing and stropping a bit easier.
    my thought was to get a few rougher ones to learn with.
    20150412_095302.jpg

Seabs, ObiDon, oscar11 and 5 others like this.
  8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

P1010079.jpg

Shaver) Wosty 5/8 medium hollow ground Barbers notch
    Soap) Tobs sandalwood
    PSO) HM basil~lime
    Brush) VDH Boar
    AS) HM bay rum
    ASB) HM sweet orange Shea butter

The shaver is from Kevin (Holy Rollah) total restore let me tell you Kevin really out did himself a total home run on this shaver.The blade is from 1849/1880 or so it looked like it... and now the etched blade looks factory fresh and really pops.The scales are very rich and elegant high lights of blonde streaks running through out high lighted in a brass inlaid celtic cross, amber&brass wedge,and stacked brass washers.
    The blade is honed to a very keen edge and shaves just a beautiful and smooth as it looks.

Keen blades and smooth shaves Gentlemen!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

7/8 Dorko 401 - nos to me, have used it 4 times and it shaves ever so smooth and easy. The Dorkos I have are all built like a tank
    Soap Le Pere Lucien
    AS - Le Pere Lucien
    a great shave today
    dorko1.jpg dorko2.jpg

ObiDon, oscar11, vwp528 and 1 other person like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

An oldie but goodie….Love the thumb notch on this big old Sheffield razor! :)

[​IMG]

11. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

IMG_20140328_065638.jpg CMON Filarmonica Doble Temple

12. oscar11

6/8 Clauss
    TOBS Lavender Soap
    homemade boar
    Nice shave this morning. I found out that I have a tendonitis in my shoulder yesterday. It makes using the lathe a real issue but it bothers me the worst in bed when trying to sleep. It aches like a bad tooth so sleeping has become difficult. Well, have a good one.
    [​IMG]

ObiDon, vwp528 and txskimo like this.
  13. cubancigar2000

Hart Custom 6/8 with finger notch, Micarta scales built by Terry Vannorman - I can honestly say this is one of my very best shavers & terry did a fantastic job with the detail
    Caties Bubble jardin De Or - OMG good. This one rates right up there with the best
    Floid Black label AS

what a wonderfully smooth and close shave it was today
    hart custom.jpg

txskimo, oscar11 and vwp528 like this.
  14. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

15. oscar11

It's a beauty for sure.

vwp528 likes this.
  16. cubancigar2000

Damn I like this Boker. One of the best I have seen

vwp528 likes this.
  17. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

18. oscar11

5/8 Case Red Imp
    WSP Rustic Vetiver
    homemade boar
    Nice shave today. This is my second tin of Rustic, it's a good soap. Not what I'd call a true vetiver scent but pleasant . Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

ObiDon, vwp528, HolyRollah and 2 others like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today I used
    wade& butcher 6/8 full hollow. it's marked Sheffield.
    I like the weight of this razor. also for as big as it is, it sings nicely.
    20150416_074700.jpg

45auto, txskimo, vwp528 and 2 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Der Hans..und it vas gut!
    [​IMG]

ObiDon, 45auto, Drygulch and 3 others like this.