What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Aporis Japanese Straight Chemical Steel
    Had a great Shave with this Japanese Blade .Dolphin smooth in no time .
    rps20180917_223742_650.jpg

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 8 others like this.
  2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Razor: 6/8 Wade & Butcher custom scales

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Aeroshell 34
    96A94140-C321-4ABE-946E-65E9A77C4256.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

Keithmax, Timwcic, Shojo510 and 7 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

[​IMG]
    Custom HendrixClassics.com Bismarck. I like slightly larger, heavier blades, but this is my first heavier blade which has enough of a hollow to provide significant audible feedback. BINGO! Instant learning. The singing of the razor, gave me the feedback I needed to verify that I was still cutting hair even when using much lighter pressure. As was the case when learning DE shaving, I'm realizing that too much pressure is ALWAYS the enemy of a good shave, and this blade gives me the feedback I need to lighten up. The result was my closest shave on my neck ever. Still not BBS, but I was starting to wonder if a BBS on the neck was even possible for me with a straight. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Secondly, for anyone interested, a word about the little silver container of pre-shave in the pic. In the past, I have not been impressed with pre-shaves, as my experience is that they don't do what they claim to do. In fact, that's a nice way of putting it. I kind of put pre-shave in the snake oil category. Much of this comes from the fact that I can't remember the last time I had irritation DE shaving, and believe the #1 determinant in getting an irritation free shave is proper shaving technique. Yes, I am a die-hard Technique Trumps Tools guy. (For those who have had good luck with a pre-shave, this is not to take away from your experience as YMMV.) Anyway, Mohammad at Grooming Dept, sent me a sample of his pre-shave he is developing to try out and give him feedback. (No bias here, as I've done this for a number of well known artisans developing products.) Anyway, I figured that, having not perfected my straight razor technique, and running into irritation trying way too many passes to chase the baby, this product might protect me from my own stupidity a bit. Mission accomplished. Mohammad's pre-shave really does what it says it will. First of all, it definitely reduces irritation and helps with blade glide. Sometimes my wiry whiskers can slow down a straight blade (particularly with light, full hollow 5/8 blades), and this pre-shave has really reduced the incidence of this happening. Additionally, it's not oily or goopy at all (like I find most pre-shaves to be), and after a 3 pass shave and rinse, there's no annoying oily residue to wipe off, but instead, a great feeling of skin conditioning. I continue to be amazed at Mohammad's ability to dial in formulations of shaving products to a level really not approached by most artisans. Will I use pre-shave when I don't need "training wheels" for the straight anymore? I dunno, but if I do it'll be this one for sure.

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 9 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Portland Razor Company Siren [​IMG]

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 8 others like this.
  7. M14Shooter

Tuesday 's,Shave
    15/16 J.A.Henckel Friodur INOX

Had a fantastic shave with the Friodur.Was BBS in no time.
    rps20180918_145908_652.jpg

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 5 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Today's shave was with a Chinese Beauty. Well, a Chinese Razor anyway. I had a super duper smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Zero issues, and just a minor touch-up, around the chin. This Baby is Full Hollow Ground, takes, and holds a wicked edge. This one only cost me around $3-$4, a couple of years ago, but it is worth 10 times as much to me. These Chinese blades are sometimes really messed up, and require a lot of work, to make right, but this one just needed a little heel work on the blade stabilizers. This blade performs so well, it is deserving of better scales, rather than the cheap plastic ones it came with. Also, they are advertised as Stainless Steel, but trust me, they are made of good old fashioned Carbon Steel, and easily stick to magnets.

Razor- Chinese Gold Dollar.
    Brush- RazoRock 400 with WD High Mountain Badger.
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Viking Horn Decanter.

P9180545.JPG

9. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Filarmonica 14 DT
    Esbjerg shave cream
    Col. Conk with synthetic knot
    Becker scuttle
    Dickinson
    Pinaud

10. DaltonGang

Today's shave was a Japanese Razor, dug out of the box. I had a very smooth 2 pass shave, that left me with a DFS, no touch-ups. Very sharp Silver Steel Razor. The shave would have been more enjoyable, without the Heel Smirk. I will address that at a later date.

Razor- "Kikuboshi 800". Kummel Best Hollow Ground Silver Steel. Takahana.
    Brush- RazoRock 400, WD High Mountain Badger
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood scented
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice. Ships Flask decanter.

P9190546.JPG

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Frederick Reynolds [​IMG]

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 6 others like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Bartmann 504

DSC08664.jpg

Keithmax, Timwcic, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

GD66. Nice three pass shave. Oh yeah. Loving the straights!

Keithmax, Shojo510, Timwcic and 2 others like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have shaved my cheeks with a straight but that's it. Tonight I finished sharpenimg a razor, never doing it before.
    I watched a few videos on youtube then tried it myself. I am sure it is not the best but it did pop hairs on my arm.
    Not having time in the morning I did a one pass on my face and neck tonight.
    Yes it was ok, not the best but I got a little shy at the end, but an ok shave.
    20180919_205226.jpg it's the sharpest yet and fitst time using kiss my face.
    But I have a lot to learn.
    Might get a new one from whipped dog if I like it. One never knows. We'll see how it goes.
    Back to the r41 in the morning.
    Oh and no blood, I'm on blood thinners so I have to be extra careful.
    I know that sounds crazy but I am realy careful.
    Realy I am :kar:

Keithmax, Deeter, Timwcic and 5 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Hmmm, normally i would say, just keep at it, and have a professional hone you blade, to see what it is supposed to feel like.
    But, seeing you are on blood thinners, i would recommend you stay away from Straight Razors.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    Yea, well, if that was the case I would have to quit work and become a hermit.
    I use sharp knifes and razor blades cutters most every day. Have brought my hand up with cuts all over out of floors and chasses. I just take care of it and go on. The thinners seem to just make it a bleed a little longer, not bad. I don't think I will llacerate myself or I would not do it, even if I wasn't on thinners.
    I shaved using it this morning bout an hour ago, nicked myself just undet my stach. I just used my little white chauky thing and went on, no problem. I don't want others on thinners the impression they should do this, it is ok fo me, but could be dangerous for others.
    Thanks for caring.
    tp

17. DaltonGang

This is a favorite of mine. Super smooth 2 pass shave, with BBS results. Excellent Razor. Zero issues.

Razor- Wade & Butcher. "Bow Razor"
    Brush- RazoRock 400 with WD High Mountain Badger
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood
    Aftershave- Osage Rub

P9200562.JPG

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Brian’s visit to Portland Razor Company had me dust this one off...
    PRC Hydra
    45866B07-AC65-4826-99FF-8154B77B6AB5.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Dovo Best Class 55 Fritz Bracht

DSCF1813.jpg

20. M14Shooter

6/8 Ontario Cutlery Little Valley NY
    Just won a bid on this razor last week.
    Gave her a quick polish and than off to the hones.
    Used Sharpton Glass 1K 4K 8 K 16 K and Finished on Welsh Slate than my Escher.
    Shave was great.BBS in no time.Edge was very keen and smooth. Those Little Valley razors sure know how to take and edge. 0_rps20180921_105612_558.jpg