What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I think I saw that razor in the Seven Samurai.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spyder, oscar11, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Henckels Friodur 72 1/2[​IMG]

3. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

4/8 C. V. Heljestrand MK No. 30
    Had a wonderful shave with this Swedish Gem.Blade was smooth a silk .She was finished on my Thuri .
    rps20190111_010746_379.jpg

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

T.I.
    Coate's Tea Tree Oil SC
    homemade synthetic brush

I'm a fan of Coate's SC and when Bobcat posted there was a sale on it I picked up a few tubes. It's my first go around with the Tea Tree Oil SC, however. I really enjoyed this mornings shave but now being about an hour post shave things "ain't feelin so good". I didn't get hardly any burn with the aftershave but my face is on fire now. Good news is I only bought 1 tea tree oil. If you guys have any idea what kind of synthetic knot this might be let me know. I fell going down a manhole shortly before I retired and hit my head so everything around that time period is pretty fuzzy. I was big into experimenting with synthetic knots at that time. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

5. Briscoe

That's what I call a nice lather bowl

Billyfergie, TestDepth and mrchick like this.
  6. mrchick

Thanks. And to think I couldn't stand MWF when I first tried it. In fact, I PIFed my first puck. Once I quit listening to the MWF experts, I found it to be a great soap.

7. Briscoe

That is one soap I have not tried.

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  8. mrchick

If you do, just use it like a regular soap. I spent too much time listening to "bloom it", "use more water", "lather it for four minutes" etc. it's really not as finicky as it's made out to be.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

My first shave with a shavette.
    For my first shavette, I chose the Feather SS Japanese (Kamisori style) razor, thinking it would be easier to handle and maneuver. I've had some experience with traditional -- western style -- straights, but it was a few years ago.

Razor: Feather SS Japanese
    Blade: Feather ProGuard -- My goto blade for my AC razors is Schick Proline, but I figured, what the heck, training wheels
    Soap: Saponificio Veresino 70th Anniversary Special Edition
    Brush: Plisson Synthetic
    AS: Saponificio Veresino Dolomiti
    Skin: Stirling Witch Hazel with Aloe
    Sutures: 4/0 Nylon with surgical needle
    Extras: Life-Flight on speed dial

The razor was, indeed, much easier to maneuver, especially with my off-hand. Size, weight and balance are perfect with this razor. The shave went much better than expected with only a couple of small weeper around my chin -- a cleft is problematic. I took my time and got an amazingly close one-pass shave in most areas. The area along my jawline is my most difficult area with any razor and, as it's a difficult angle, I did not attempt too close a shave there.

Overall, it was a fun shave with a very nice new tool. I'll keep using the Guard blades as I refine my skill and eventually, try the Schicks.

setup.jpg

Navarrsky, Spyder, Briscoe and 8 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Two great lines! :rofl:

11. Briscoe

Filarmonica 13 N Doble
    Rubberset 400-4
    Barrister and Mann Roam Shaving Soap
    Sandlewood Preshave Oil
    Pinald Clubman Aftershave

Enjoy your evening gentlemen![​IMG]

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

3/4 grind Koraat 7/8

ID - 1.jpg

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #331 Boar
    Wade & Butcher 5/8
    CWR
    Aqua Velva 5 in 1 AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #331 boar brush. I did two passes with the Wade & Butcher 5/8 razor and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Aqua Velva 5 in 1 AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

14. fredyx

fredyx Well-Known Member

Fram Solingen.[​IMG]

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

9A4E2883-2AD7-45DA-BDC5-A5F3B295206D.jpeg

Yesterday’s shave, got too busy to make the image! Robert Klass Kissing Crane 6/8, soap was MdC fougere lathered with a Rooney 3/2 Heritage 3-band and Thayers rose petal toner fiished up.

This Klass is a razor that I bought many years ago off eBay when I first got back into straights. My first SR, bought over 40 years ago was a 5/8 Klass. Klass made a LOT of junk over the years, their 1970s vintage pocket knives were good example of a bad example, though the steel was good. This 6/8 razor however, is an excellent razor that’s well ground, well-proportioned, comfortable tang with crisp jimps top and bottom. It’s light and just a very pleasant razor to use.

Cheers, Steve

fredyx, lindyhopper66, Spyder and 8 others like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

409A1C65-BBBB-42F3-9514-2BE648E4712F.jpeg

One of my regulars, Filly 14 DT user, soap was La Toja lathered with a Simpsons 57, and D. R. Harris Pink finished the shave off.

La Toja is a great soap that flies under the radar, and it’s an excellent slick soap for SR. The soap is currently only available in sticks, but if you don’t want the stick for home use, it’s easy to grate a stick or two into a wide mouth jar and you’re all set.

Cheers, Steve

17. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

6/8 KB Extra 68 Krusius Brothers
    Just cleaned her up a little and honed her .Used Sharpton Glass up to 16K .Then finished on a Thuri .
    Shave was great .Blade shaved like my top Puma and Dorko blades .Very good steel,great grinding and near perfect balance and ergonomics to the blade .Was BBS in no time .First time using a Mickey Lee Soap .Loved the scent and performance was very good .
    rps20190112_104520_890.jpg

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Bill Ellis 5/8”
    Not my historic size preference but this was real nice :).
    B102320F-38DB-469C-AE99-0B3F9BD7EF86.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

fredyx, lindyhopper66, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Thats the Most Beautiful Wade & Butcher I have ever Seen..I have Honed Many...Thats a Belter...:happy036:

Billy..:chores016:

20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016: