What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Filarmonica 14p Novudor
    Rubberset Silvertip Badger
    Poraso Azur Lime Cream
    Taconic Pre and Aftershave Balm

Fantastic shave with this Filarmonica, one of my favorite razors in my collection.

Enjoy your evening gentlemen!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Lovely shave, from an American made razor. Very smooth, 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Zero issues. Great manufacturer, who always puts out fantastic blades.

Razor- ShurEdge, 14 K 400. Hollow Ground.
    Brush- B400 By Tom(@twhite ). WD Boar knot.
    Soap- Arko Stick
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman

P1120730.JPG

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Koaraat 7/8 with a 1/2 hollow grind

ID - 1.jpg

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

F66F5F25-E3DE-44FC-8E9A-44B7AA5D5A33.jpeg

Nooner today, it’s a dark rainy day so I slept in. After breakfast I honed a Mk33 Heljestrand That arrived yesterday, and I didn’t rush things. The details are over in the honing thread.

C. V. Heljestrand Mk33 13/16+ in ivory, soap was Martin de Candre lavender lathered with a white haired soft and dense Simpsons 58 Best. I lathered up and raised the freshly honed jewel, and the whiskers shrieked and jumped off my face! Lol. The razor shaved very, very well - Thayers lavender finished up.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Navarrsky, Briscoe, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

An absolutely beautiful example Steve.

oscar11, Spyder and Steve56 like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir, lt is a nice razor.

Cheers, Steve

oscar11 and TestDepth like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s four pass shave with the Engles, left me so smooth, and I was running a little late this morning, so I broke out my last remaining DE and had a nice two pass shave.

DAEAA686-C9B3-40F7-BF4C-2DDCD007355D.jpeg

Navarrsky, Briscoe, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  8. TestDepth

Took this mid 1800’s French Razor out for its modern day maiden voyage.
    M. Navaron-Dumas “The Rooster”
    4A68C7C3-E2E7-4917-8ECA-EC6149250671.jpeg
    Very pleasantly surprised- behaved well on the hones and delivered a pretty darn nice shave. I think I read he won a bronze medal for his razor fabrication, so I guess I support that high honor. :eatdrink047:
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Navarrsky, Briscoe, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

784D23A4-5CEB-47BF-B5FC-16F492F29E59.jpeg

Tanifuji Swedish Steel BāBā 13/16, a favorite razor. The black scales with gold ‘needles’ are very 1960s handsome, and the razor always delivers a superb shave. Cream was AdP lathered with a Keyhole 4, and a little AdP balm finished things up. You know, the Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere line isn’t the cheapest option on the shelf and I keep looking for a better option for cost, in=shave performance, post-shave feel, and a sophisticated fragrance that I could live with every day. I’m still looking. AoS Ocean Kelp cream is a candidate but it falls a bit short in every category compared to AdP, and may be on the way to being discontinued?

Cheers, Steve

Navarrsky, mrchick, Briscoe and 7 others like this.
  10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I love how a Tanifuji Blades perform .Great Japanese workmanship .I use shave cream on occasion but mostly use shave soap .Have you considered try some tp tier soaps instead of a cream . Soaps tend to be some what cheaper with a lot more choices available. I find a good soaps hold their own against a cream .My top soaps are Grooming Department,Declaration Grooming,B&M and Talbac .Good luck in finding a replacement cream/soap .

mrchick, TestDepth, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey @M14Shooter

Yes, I use soaps a lot. My favorites are Martin de Candre (I seem to have no issues with the ‘drying’ that some seem to have), Czech and Speake, AoS tallow, the now-discontinued Savonnerie des Volcans. I’m going to try the current version of D.R. Harris hard soaps as I’ve heard that they were recently re-formulated (along with T&H) and are better, not that there was anything wrong with the old Harris soaps. Both D. R. Harris and AoS tallow are very reasonably priced. AoS tallow also discontinued but still available.

In creams, Castle Forbes is a great cost effective option and unscented XPEC is too. Shaving.ie has great prices on CF (200ml), and Connaught has XPEC at an excellent price and it’s a 250ml tub. Both have reasonable US shipping. Both these will perform as well as AdP IMO. Santa Maria Novella will too, at about the same cost but SMN is also a 250ml tub rather than 125g for AdP. Gifts and Care has reasonable everyday prices on the AdP line, and a friend in France bought a tub of AdP for me at about $40 in a Gallieries Lafayette sale. I’ll still have to ship it it will have him ship some other things too, but the AdP price was very good.

Fortunately we live in a shaving soap/cream era of abundance.

Cheers, Steve

mrchick, TestDepth, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Dovo Masters 6/8 full hollow

IMG_6035.jpg

Navarrsky, oscar11, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  13. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Filarmonica EPBD
    Jayaruh #311
    Grooming Dept Shaving Soap
    True Gentleman Preshave Oil
    John Varvatos Artesian Aftershave Balm

This particular razor was a lucky find, it was in NOS condition when I purchased it. The paint on the blade has faded , but gives one of the best shaves I have had.

Enjoy your evening gentlemen![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

14. TestDepth

Gebr. Weyersberg 6114 Cornet
    Solid all around 13/16” blade... so easy to just whip around... good to remind yourself you would like to keep your ears, nose & chin :).
    690947BF-45B4-4006-9C6D-E4A2BB45D779.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

15. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

8/8 Rigarazor Tungsten
    Closest shave of the year .This razor mowed down two days of growth with no effort.This razor is always a top performer.I need to move her up in the rotation . rps20190114_114507_157.jpg

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

4FA0B775-7B23-48E4-A43F-E855F482B18F.jpeg

Taking the new kid out again, cream was SMN lathered with a PJ 1 Best, topped off with a bit of Lucky Tiger and a little SMN pre-dopo barba afterwards (it can be used pre or post and is good at both). Shave was BBS.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Wacker Inox
    Tabac
    homemade boar
    Tabac AS

Nice shave this morning, no burn aftershave application. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Today's shave was with a Japanese Folding Kamasori, with an Asymmetrical grind. I had a very nice, two pass shave, that left me BDBS. These Kamasori Razors, are thick, like a wedge, and take on, a dangerously wicked edge. Very well made razor. One of my favorites. It was a complete rust bucket, when I first acquired it.

Razor- Japanese Folding Kamasori.. "Suzuki No.1".
    Brush- B400, by Tom(@twhite ). WD Boar Knot.
    Soap- Arko Stick
    Aftershave- Vintage Shulton Old Spice. Ships Flask Decanter. Mmmmm Mmmmm Good.

P1150731.JPG

19. Keithmax

One of my pimp sticks was next on deck today, an ornate Revisor.

IMG_6038.jpg

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Habit Rouge, Mmmmmm....

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax and M14Shooter like this.