What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Henckels Friodur 71 1/2[​IMG]

3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

She is a beauty queen!

Keithmax, TestDepth, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. mrchick

Thanks. You will like yours.

Trigger and Karl G like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Love that strop, the metal handle brush, and of course the SR.

Trigger, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  6. mrchick

Thank you!

Trigger and Karl G like this.
  7. Trigger

I have never been so excited! Thanks, I know that I will! As soon as I get it, I will post a pic.

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Finally got around to some minor repair and refreshing of a number of razors today. This lovely Mappin & Webb got it’s pin tightened and a refresh on my yellow-green Thuringian. All’s well - smooth and clean as can be. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Declaration Grooming Pure Lavender
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Mappin & Webb 11/16
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

JPEG image.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Wade & Butcher wedge
    Light restore and sharpen for a friend. I liked it - hope he does also.
    25E9B12E-2755-4720-8F51-22DEE7E7A79A.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

10. Chuck Naill

I like a light restore. Very nice. :happy088:

TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  11. Trigger

Good evening gents! I just completed Dovo shavette no. 18 (43). I have used the same setup for every focus shave except switching to different blades. Did my usual 2 pass shave, got one tiny nick on chin. It was a tad under BBS because I didn't clean up the few invisible hairs on my neck near the ear under the jawline. So, my klutziness came out when I decided to clean the razor and blade with alcohol after the shave. As I was putting the insert and blade in the razor, I nicked the tip of my forefinger. Didn't feel it and wrapped it with paper towel and alcohol. In fact, it hardly bled and left a smidgen of a tiny cut. Due to my klutziness I am lowering the grade to 92 = A-.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Think you will be happy by the pics you posted. Mine takes a great edge and holds it. It’s stainless steel but easy to hone.

13. Chuck Naill

I used a 1958 Gem Push Button with my SR this am. Did most of the work with the SR and no loss of blood. Took the GEM on my chin and got a nick. I had to laugh.

14. Trigger

Thanks Keith!
    I don't have to worry about honing for some time because I will now have 5 straights in my possession. According to Lynn Abrams, it is harder to hone a SS razor than a carbon steel one. My future plan is to get lapping film to hone my razors. I also have a barber's hone and CROX on my webbed strop so I am pretty set for maintaining my razors for now. When I finally decide to go to stones, I probably will get a cheap gold dollar to practice before I commit my razors. Lest not forget, that I still have my trusty shavette for straight shaves and I also get a BBS shave with my DE safeties. So, I am in a great position as for as not worrying about honing. However, like I said earlier, I probably have my Fiodur professionally honed because I don't want to ruin a "like new" vintage blade.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  15. Trigger

Well, you can say you got a gem of a nick.

TestDepth, oscar11, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

I just have one SS razor that I had to redo because I didn't do enough laps. Now it is my best edge. I use films.

17. Keithmax

A professional honing is a great call, then it easy to maintain the edge. I read that SS are harder to hone but I have 4 and they seem to me as the same as carbon steel when I hone and shave. But I am an amateur honer and use synthetic stones.

:happy088:

18. Keithmax

This weeks theme, JWest razor. First up is an Atlas 6/8, what is unusual is that it is a near wedge or 3/4 grind. All my other JWest are hollow grind.

IMG_6055.jpg

19. Trigger

I am glad that you agree. When the time comes, I probably will hone my 2 Dovos and have my 2 Austs and my Fiodur professionally honed.

20. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Koraat Custom Built
    Rubberset Silvertip Badger
    Grooming Dept Shaving Soap
    True Gentleman Preshave Oil
    John Varvatos Artesian Aftershave Balm

Enjoy your evening gentlemen ![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk