What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

After 10 days of travel I was more than happy to be back in my shave den and return to using straights. To remove 48 hours of scruff I went with my smiling 8/8 Mike Martinez and had an epic shave.

ID - 1.jpg

Paul76, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 10 others like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I found this little thick opaque pear shaped bow the other day in a china shop and it looked perfect as a brush holder.
    Wester.jpg

Paul76, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 9 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nothing you all haven't seen before. Dovo 91.
    IMG_0731.jpeg

Paul76, Billyfergie, Jayaruh and 11 others like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

BECA93B4-F85C-499F-BEC6-6B1654DA74B5.jpeg

I think that a brush holder/lather bowl is exactly what it is. The dimple in the heart-shaped end should fit your thumb. Only the second that I’ve seen. Congrats on an interesting find.

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0062FC05-2BDB-4A97-8F89-5D8DA898390B.jpeg

Another shot...

6. Chuck Naill

Thank you for your post and happy I picked it up.
    Dish.jpg

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

And I still like it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Karl G, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    :)

Karl G, brit, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That Sunday Shaver is nice. Now if they only made a 13/16 or 7/8!

10. Primotenore

Article Team
    You like 'em with some heft, Steve! What size is mine?

11. brit

brit in a box

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nah! I want at least a full inch!

Karl G, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0064FFE5-7A1E-410F-A89D-39F500636C9F.jpeg 124D44E7-57BA-4C09-A130-D01249719873.jpeg

Hey Primo, according to TSS site, it’s made from a modern Bergischer Lowe blank, so that would be a 5/8 razor, and it weighs about 40g.

I do like wider blades but I also like a light razor - top razor above, CVH No 140 7/8, 57 grams, or about 50% more than the Sunday Shaver, CVH MK 33 13/16, 45 grams, only 5g more than the 5/8 SS!

The St Joanis handles very much like the 6/8 Bismarck which has been ‘transplanted’ into thin plastic from an old Wosty that had been abused. The St Joanis weight is 44g (in original black horn) and the Bismarck weighs 49g. Both are light nimble razors for their width.

A Filly 14 is certainly thin and wide, but it isn’t light. It’s a big razor.

14. Chuck Naill

What we have might be a spoon rest. I did some searching on eBay and found this one.
    Spoon rest.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Could be! Mine is 7-1/2” x 5-1/2” though, so if it’s a spoon rest it’s a big one, but maybe not uncommon. I think that I’ll look at spoon rests too. eBay is a great place to do your homework.

16. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thank you sir.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

So I went and searched ‘vintage spoon rests’ on the Bay at @Chuck Naill comments. The pieces that we have don’t really look like most of the spoon rests, except for that ‘bird’ piece. Ours also seem to be intended to hold a volume of something, which might be lather. But what I’m thinking is maybe a salt cellar/dish, sized for a kitchen. That would explain the spoon rest, you need a measuring spoon handy, a teaspoon or half tsp.

18. Chuck Naill

If you are stirring a pot of beans or stew, etc, placing the spoon on a spoon rest keeps the stove or counter clean. It keeps the drippings in one place. However, I am content with calling them a brush holder.

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Me too!

TestDepth likes this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

016A969E-7FC5-4CE8-A454-DC15662DDE56.jpeg

Another stone test, details in the honing thread yesterday. I think that the little stone on the stand did slightly better, but the difference is not large. Soap was I Coloniali Mango lathered with a Tulip 1 Super Badger, and a dab of IC balm finished up.

Paul76, Billyfergie, Karl G and 9 others like this.