What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Taking a Japanese blade through its paces... an Inko 1500 from the Tokyo Ito Co & Ltd

It has an edge, with minimal needed corrective work, so started on the Naniwa 4k, transitioned to the 8k (Snow White) pictured, than a few passes on the 12k before putting on the Okudo finish.
    61163470-894C-4A81-A6F1-FDEFC1299A05.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Manumik, Keithmax, speedster and 3 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I need to hone several blades. But, since this shutdown nonsense, the women have taken over the house, for work and school. The only alone time I get, is when I get to work, or leave the house, to work out, or hang out with our dog.

Keithmax, Trigger and BearCWY like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Ralph Aust 6/8 Spanish Pt
    I shaved with this yesterday and it was a meh shave. Today, I used the 3, 1 and .3 micron lapping film progression. I then stropped it on Crox treated fabric, then untreated fabric and finally on the leather. I tested it on headshave with 4 days growth. I just shaved the sides with one pass going with the grain. It was like cuttng through Swiss cheese. The sides looked like it was a BBS. Decided to hit the back with a DE to finish the first pass and then finish the shave with a second pass across the grain. On the second pass, there was very little feedback from the DE when shaving the temple sides. This proved to me that the razor is sharp and smooth. It's my fourth time that I lapped a razor with films. I am glad it worked out today Here is the razor and the setup for yesterday's meh shave. 20200502_161749.jpg 20200502_161749.jpg

4. TestDepth

Beautiful Aust Joe!

Took the Veritable Vincent through a similar progression as the Inko, but added the Suehiro 1k and removed the Naniwa 12k. Here it is pictured with the Naniwa 4k Hayabusa.
    67A5CFEC-CABE-4188-B46B-CCE5A8F65FCE.jpeg
    Had to work through an ever so slight frown.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Manumik, Steve56, jtface and 7 others like this.
  5. Trigger

Thanks Tom! Your VV looks so cool!

BearCWY and TestDepth like this.
  6. TestDepth

:thanks: Joe. Fingers crossed the shave matches the look. :)

BearCWY and Trigger like this.
  7. Trigger

That's nice, but this is in the wrong thread. It should be in What straight razor did you use today? This thread is What straight razor did you hone today?

BearCWY likes this.
  8. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Crap. I am sorry. Eyes played tricks on me.

BearCWY and Trigger like this.
  9. Trigger

No worries, it happens. Just copy and paste in the appropriate forum.

BearCWY and Suhrim21 like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Touch up time

Top 2 only saw the Suehiro 20k : Koraat, Mike Martinez

The bottom 3 were done with a Shapton glass 8k then Suehiro 20k: PRC, Herr Razors, Art Razor Saga

All razors then visited CrOx and FeO3 strops. Shaved with the PRC today and it felt like velvet while being laser sharp. Curious to see how I did on the smiling razors.

IMG_8706.jpeg

Manumik, speedster, BearCWY and 5 others like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Keith, may I ask your opinion on the performance of the Suehiro 20k vs. Shapton 15k? Thx.

BearCWY and Keithmax like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This will likely be a disappointing answer but.... they are very similar. If you own one you do not the other.

The Shapton 16k seems to cut faster and leaves a slightly sharper edge. The Suehiro leaves a bit smoother edge. Both are capable of excellent edges, sharp while smooth.

The Suehiro is thicker and when I lap it definitely feels harder.

I am happy enough with the stones that I no longer have an interest in trying naturals. These are quick and deliver excellent results for me.

BearCWY, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Got in a Livi to hone for a friend. It had been honed with electrical tape so I used 1 layer of Scotch 700 and set the bevel on a Shapton Glass HR 4k and followed that with a Shapton Glass HC 6k and a jnat+tomo. These are allegedly difficult to hone but everything about this one seemed normal. Test shave tomorrow, proof is in the pudding!

32214BCB-8F78-4CCF-8D2D-9470246377B0.jpeg

Manumik, speedster, Suhrim21 and 5 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

Gorgeous razor in my opinion... love the Damascus pattern and those scales look beautiful. Hope the shave matches the look.

speedster and BearCWY like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Me too Tom.

BearCWY and TestDepth like this.
  16. TestDepth

Three razors off this progression today...
    Suehiro 1k, followed by the 6k, shifting to the Naniwa 12k, which is good enough... but took them all to this tiny piece of Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.

A German Coronia 36, a Bills Best barber’s razor for William B. Hoshaw in Cheyenne, Wyoming (not sure the origin) & an unmarked but nice full hollow on the right.

2186DAD4-11E3-4285-A2E3-103ADE850D50.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Manumik, Keithmax, speedster and 6 others like this.
  17. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I love those scales. Do you know what wood that is?

BearCWY likes this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@Suhrim21 Looks like Turkish burl walnut to me. I have a piece of it somewhere waiting for a project.

BearCWY likes this.
  19. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Really Mother Nature REALLY ???

Plan for the day, Wash and Wax the boat,
    Mother Nature "Stay inside watch the rain peon"

Okay I'll hone and hope for a break in the rain

Hone On !!

[​IMG]

20. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I think I see 3 razors I recognize! hehehe ;)

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.