What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I have two of those Hans, Shapton Glass HR stones will cut them well.

lottenhem likes this.
  2. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Steve, I have recently bought the 2 Naniwas, 3K and 5K.

Have the following stones:
    King Delux 800
    Satake 1200
    Naniwas 3K and 5K
    Satake 10K
    Yaki- ire 12K natural stone.
    Really don’t know if there actually is a need for more stones? Or?
    Regards
    Hans

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hans, the Shapton Glass HR series was designed to cut hard, wear-resistant steel. They will have no problem with the Tornblöm, Berg, and other hard steel razors. I have a few kitchen knives too that are difficult, a SLD slicer and a couple of R2 powder steel knives. It’s not worth trying to sharpen those on anything but a Shapton Glass, a Naniwa just burnishes the SLD. Oddly, some JNats will cut that hard steel and others won’t, you just have to try them.

lottenhem likes this.
  4. lottenhem

Grits that you recommend?

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I use the Shapton Glass 2k HR as my regular bevel setter, so that would be a good place to begin - on e you have the bevel in good shape, it puts less demands on the other stones. Shapton Glass Stones are designed to go in 3x steps, so adding a 6k would get you to your 12k stone (a 2x step).

I’m currently using the 6k HC or High Carbon, which is a little less fast and much more of a polisher than the HR series. This works if your finisher is fast like a coti or JNat, but if you’re going to a slower finisher or something like a Suehiro 20k, you’ll likely want your 12k stone in the progression.

I hope that this helps!

Edit: Suehiro 20k

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    lottenhem, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  6. lottenhem

Thanks! I should look into the 2K, as you say as soon as the edge is there it more comes to polishing. I had a wrestling tournament with the Klas today. I shall try it out tomorrow. If it don’t work I get one Shapton 2K HR. Unfortunately there is no resellers in Sweden..

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW Hans, I believe that Dieter Schmid in Germany carries the HR line at least. Another option, and cheaper if you don’t mind a smaller stone, is the Shapton G7 series. It’s the same stone as the HR but a smaller form factor.

lottenhem likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Filarmonica 13 "Doble Temple"
    Muleta Sello Oro
    13/16+inch
    Extra Hollow Ground
    Spain

This is one of the dreaded "Post JPM" Filarmonicas. I acquired it for a fraction of what normal JMP Filis go for. It has never had a usable edge on it, from what I was told. I can see why. Upon inspection, the spine had some wear, that made the bevel rather large for my liking. I put two layers of tape on it, to correct it, but one would have been fine. I decided to stick with the two layers, because what I've read, this generation of Filarmonica is prone to either a brittle and crumbling edge, or a soft rolling edge, both bad.
    I started with the 1K Norton, and just couldn't get the toe end(1 inch) to take an edge. Oh, crap, bad steel, so I thought. Under the Jewelers Loupe, I could see the bevel in that area wasn't set at all. It was rounded over. It took a while to set it, because of the stories of the steel crumbling. It finally came about, and I found the steel was pretty hard. I tip toed through the Welsh Slate Stones, with various Nagura slurry stones.
    The edge was still holding up, and it felt pretty sharp. No crumbling of the edge, and it was taking the fine edge well.
    Next came the final stone, the Eschers Thuringian. I did 25-30 laps, under running water. All is still going well.
    Then 75 linen and 150 Leather stropping. This is now a hair popping monster, from toe to heel. I will give it a shave later, and see how it holds up.

P7041580.JPG

gssixgun, Karl G, taskind and 4 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well done sir!

Karl G, DaltonGang and Zykris like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Filarmonica 14
    Doble Temple
    Now 15/16th
    Spain

This was a long time coming. I obtained this one for a song. But, as you can see, it had a few issues. Major blade work was done, which left a new bevel being needed, as well as scales.
    [​IMG]

I took the razor to the Norton 320 grit stone, until a Pre-Bevel was there. Then to the Norton 1K, and an unknown 3k for the bevel setting. It was off to the Welsh Slate Stones, then a final finishing with the Eschers Thuringian.

P7041582.JPG

Karl G, Zykris, taskind and 2 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Genco
    "Easy Aces"
    Bradford, PA.
    11/16th.
    Extra Hollow Ground.

After some minor polishing up, it was off to the stones, and this one was straight as an arrow, and a pleasure to hone. Easy Aces by Genco is a dream to hone. Zero issues.

P7041585.JPG

Karl G, Steve56, Zykris and 3 others like this.
  13. lottenhem

Three Swedish razors honed this evening:
    CVH MK No. 24 3/8”
    J.A. Hellberg No. 12 11/16”
    CVH No.7 11/16”
    Nice to try out coming mornings.
    [​IMG]

Hammer8, Karl G, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took the latest shorty project to the hones…
    JR Torrey
    Not only was the tip gone, but it looks like the drop created some small chips in a few spots. I didn’t do the dropping, but I was the guy that thought… hey, I could do something with that. :signs002:

Removed the chips with the Suehiro 1k, then shifted to the Naniwa 4k Hayabusa and then the 8k Snow White, followed by the 12k. I hadn’t pulled the black Ark out in a while, so let’s have a go.
    DB6C643E-EFF0-4E9E-9F8F-3303D858A04C.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

taskind, Hammer8, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

First off, I’ve honed a Filly 14 user twice in the past 2 days testing a new and promising JNat. A nice mizu asagi (water blue) with a kan ring, looks like old stone to me. This one is not a cutter, it’s a polisher, but the edges are very promising. The first test was just the stone out of the box, no lapping or smoothing, just raise a little diamond slurry and go to it. The edge didn’t HHT the best - not unsurprising for a new unlapped/smoothed stone - but the shave was very smooth!

Next up, I lapped the stone and burnished it with slurry and an old near wedge JWest razor with a lot of steel showing to the stone. Then the Filly again with a tomo (guessing about the tomo at this point) and the edge did improve. I did get a little bonus, the small end with the stamp that says ‘Kato mine’ and has a seal is a little low for about 1/2”, so when I lapped it, the stamp mostly remained and will so for some time. You wouldn’t hone that far out anyway so it’s a nice perk.

74C94C8B-4429-4000-BB54-F9384BE44E73.jpeg 400E4BDA-941E-47B1-B57E-B97EFCEAECB6.jpeg

taskind, Hammer8, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Today razors came back from Alfredo, Doc226, among them a pair of Gen 1 Filarmonica Medallon Taurino, a Tanifuji that got vintage ivory scales that were laying around with a beater blade, and a very nice E. A. Berg that swapped scales with a heavily worn Albert Stille so the Berg could have the beautiful ivory. They were the same razor really so this was just a pinning job, no other work was done on these two. Hans @lottenhem would recognize the Berg steel, so hard that it took me several tries to get it right. This time though, the Shapton Glass stones did the job in short order.

The bevels were reset on a Shapton Glass HR 4k, then a Shapton Glass HC 8k, and they’re now ready for JNat. Heck, they’re ready to shave, the Shapton HC 8k is the only 8k that I can like the edges from.

Next up, finisher.

389B2753-9E60-41C7-9318-9F58F8085709.jpeg

taskind, Hammer8, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The finish: hard ‘egg’ kiita, chosen as a base for the mejiro because it’s hard, and the mejiro was chosen to give that hard E. A. Berg steel a little extra stone love. So the Berg got the fresh slurry and all the rest got broken slurry, why waste a decent slurry? The others likely didn’t need it but it didn’t hurt anything either, this mejiro is very fine. Then the tomo on the egg kiita, the tomo is softer by a good bit do I am basically honing on tomo slurry. The edges should be interesting!

CAFFBD70-1A32-4ECC-8EEA-8C20EC296D8A.jpeg

Hammer8, Karl G, lottenhem and 3 others like this.
  18. lottenhem

Nice done! I must say that the Klas Törnblom is a notch worse than the E.A. Berg. I have succeeded to hone the Berg with the stones I have. I will try again on the Klas before a purchase of a Shapton

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m spinning up a 7/8 wide Féret Frères Hyalin frameback, back from Alfredo’s with new paper micarta scales and a little TLC on the blade, which though unworn was poorly restored. Progression was Shapton Glass HR 4k -> Shapton Glass HC 8k -> JNat. Silent HHT.

EFDF7AC9-8FB4-4FA0-8BCF-10B4037BB088.jpeg

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Testing out a 0.44u Shapton G7 (about 32k?). I had one of these months ago from CKTG when Mark had them mis-priced and as my luck runs, it was defective and confirmed so by Shapton in Japan. The G7 series have been a bit difficult to source, especially the 0.44u, but Sharpening supplies carries them and now has them in stock.

For those who are balking at the price and thickness of the regular HR series, these might do ya if you don’t mind the smaller form factor. They’re 7mm thick as opposed to the 5mm of the full size HR series.

0689FFFB-E8C8-4766-AB1A-35141CF866B0.jpeg