What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Today I honed these two:
    [​IMG]

Gold Dollar 66
    Shumate 30

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Timwcic, Drygulch, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1183.jpg

Here's a fun experiment, comparing two stones for shaving quality. On the right is a pretty blue-green Nakayama asagi with orange ring patterns, and on the left is what I call the 'ugly' asagi, also a Nakayama. It isn't a very attractive color and it has almost every defect in the jnat manual, but fortunately none of them are toxic. Both stones are good razor finishers, but I want to know if one is better (makes a smoother edge) than the other - or they're both the same, and they are close in their fineness. I need one known good tomonagura and two identical razors. Selected Gold Dollar test razors 208-5 and 208-7 are up for the job.

They were both honed on thin slurry with 2 sets of 25 circles and ellipses, followed by 40 x-strokes flipping the edge each pass on the x-strokes. This was followed by a few dry strokes on a smooth tomae then about 15 palm strops. The regular stropping was 20 canvas/35 suede/65 cordovan on a Kanoyama 80000. Both razors tested well with HHT and were again close.

I'll shave with them both during the same shave tomorrow and maybe we will find out something useful.

Cheers, Steve

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1187.jpg

My King Pelican that I used yesterday seemed to be losing a bit of smoothness, so I did an edge refresh on tomonagura slurry only. The HHT was silent root-in or -out. I betting that this edge will shave very smoothly.

Cheers, Steve

4. dulac66

dulac66 Member

And? How did they shave?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Timwcic and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Posted this morning in the 'What Straight Razor Did You Use Today'. TL;DR, the ugly asagi won by a small margin.

Cheers, Steve

7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

On tap for today an Aeroshell 34 hollow ground razor. I believe this is marketing for Shell’s aviation lubricants, but I can’t find a maker or country of origin. It does claim the best of a few things... Best Sweden Steel Razor and Best Hollow Ground Silver Steel, so it must be good! :)
    @Steve56 does your Shell indicate maker/country, or is there something I’m missing??? My guess is Japanese, but that’s just based on Swedish Steel, 13/16”, and the overall shape.
    44CC909C-3320-4BE4-AC64-4C3C4345ED0D.jpeg
    Wanted to spend more time learning the Suehiro 6k, so used the 1k & 4k to blow through some Swiss cheese steel at the heel, but left some bevel refinement for this 6k. Had decent cutting speed and feel, so I could keep killing the edge to work the heel. Very thirsty, soaked it a bit to see if that helped... just way more of a water drinker than the Shapton or Naniwa.
    Finished with Mikawa nagura (Tenjyou & Mejiro), followed up with Nakayama tomo, all on the Okudo.
    Whew... that was a mouthful ;)
    Happy Honing!
    Tom

8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Colee
    L.G.A. Hdwe
    I had to snap the pic quick, kitty thought she saw fish.

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1198.jpg

Nice razor @joamo!

Picked up a nice 6/8 Henckles Friodur for the travel kit. It had been honed with tape so I reset the bevel with no tape on a Shapton Glass HR 4k and did the usual Shapton Pro 8k, nice piece of leopard spot koma, and tomonagura on a hard probably Nakayama finisher. Silent HHT root-in or -out. Good stuff. Why reset the bevel with no tape? If I touch it up while traveling, I'd have to have tape.

Cheers, Steve

10. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Coticule rules https://imgur.com/gallery/aCzc00R

A friend wanted to try the pape thiebes, but he kinda killed the edge on the strop, and the strop,...

So back to the stone, and at such a moment it strikes me how versatile a coticule is. No 1,4,8k and a finisher, no botan, tenyou, mejiro, tomo,...
    Just slurry and water to set a bevel and go my favorite edge!

TestDepth, Steve56, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  11. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Perfection
    L.G.A. Hdwe

The word got out.... there's something fishy going on at the hardware store!

Billyfergie, Arnout, Timwcic and 6 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Three honed today.

F.W.Engels. "Leader". Solingen Germany
    This one looked like someone tried learning to hone with it, just before I received it. Only half the blade was honed(Toe End), the other half dull, as dull could be. They almost ruined it. They sure put some wear on the front half of the blade and spine.
    In the end, it honed up easily, and took a wickedly sharp edge. The finishers were Welsh Slate Stones and an Arkansas Surgical Black Hone.

P6260316.JPG

13. DaltonGang

Cherry "92". Japanese.

I have shaved with this one for several shaves, but someone dinged the edge. I guess curiosity got the best of them. So, I took it back to a 1k, to fix the edge, after killing it first.
    This one felt like cast steel, and took a very very nice edge. I will be trying it later this week. Welsh Slate Stones, and an Akie Surgical Black finished it off.

P6260315.JPG

Attached Files:

14. DaltonGang

Lessmann Bros.. Germany. Cupid stamped on the Tang.

This was a joy to Hone. I believe it had never been honed before, and still had a factory bevel on it. It took a new bevel in half the time others usually take. Everything fell into place. Welsh Slates and Arkie Surgical Black topped it off. I could have quit at 8k, but kept going, that's how sharp it felt.

P6260317.JPG

15. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A touch of insomnia and reruns of petticoat junction is not working. Instead of counting sheep, I am counting x-strokes. A W&B refresh on a primitive coticule bout with a few drops of oil.

7DF92222-4AE8-40BE-BC3B-D68F3582B6E3-19666-00000806DAEF703C.jpeg

16. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Touched up my Fram 5/8 razor, using the 8k, 12k, and 15k Welsh slate stones. Used water and a little soap with all 3. I had a lot of fun using these stones[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arnout, TestDepth, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  17. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Restoration straight razors https://imgur.com/gallery/b0xdRSf
    [​IMG]

I have to look into posting imgur pics,
    Anyway,
    A once plated marsh marsh (some say plating is rare) with most of the plating replaced with a nice patina. Sanding sponges on the dremel got rid of the plating and the oxidation, just left the patina on the tang.
    Some polishing with coton and it looks OK.
    A new Bevel and dilucot on a new coticule, but at inspection it turned out there was quite a chip in the blade.
    Back to a new bevel, this time on a sioux stone.
    Made a slurry on the raw side with a chinese 1k diamant plate. The sioux is a hard stone, works rather fast this way, but still, it looses the bite so i had to give the stone new teeth a few times. Once the new bevel is set, i keep honing a bit on the raw site, as the stone looses bite it starts to polish.
    To finish turning the stone upside down on the polished side and up to a sharp, rather soft finish.

The sword had a bit more rust, some more sanding and polishing, but the etch is rather deep so still visible.
    Hardly any honing required.
    I used the new jnat. The stone appears to have golden nuggets, and they tens to hold the blade a bit on water,...
    Anyway, yea botan to tomonagura on the new ozuko and a nice shave! Sharp, and soft, but not supersharp.

A small restored areuka on the new coticule, supersoft.

Another sword a restored a while ago that a friend used to learn shaving got back on the good old ozuko, finished with the new ozuko as tomonagura and superbe result! Supersharp and still soft. Tricky razor, bites without any warning!

[​IMG]

Linuxguile, Keithmax, joamo and 2 others like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I thought it was a translation error, it’s a Sword brand razor. I had to laugh at myself.

Arnout likes this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

[​IMG]

ZY stainless: King 1k then to the lapping film progression (5,3,1 micron)

20. DaltonGang

T.Hessen-Bruch & Co. "Perfection Warranted". Made in Germany.
    Little Bear, Holding a Rifleon both sides of the tang and on one scale. "Will Spection" pressed around the bear, on the scales. I don't know what that means.
    Welsh Slate stones, as finishers.

P6300325.JPG

Joseph Rodgers & Sons. (Monkey Tail Razor)
    Cutlers to Their Majesties.
    No.5 Norfolk Street. Sheffield England

Same progression as above. There was a little chipping on the edge, that was first taken out. A slight frown was corrected on the toe end.

P6300324.JPG

"Sterling Works". Hollow Bargers Ground.
    SJH under a crown, stamped on the tang. ??? unknown meaning for me.

Same progression as above. This on had a corrosion dot on the middle of the blades edge, as well as a frown. PITA to fix. This one had some hard steel going for it.

P6300326.JPG

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Arnout and 3 others like this.