What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

The razor will bear inspection, a claim of quality, as in it will pass your inspection.

Billyfergie, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took the reprofiled and rescaled 8/8” Wade & Butcher to the hones...
    2 goals: 1. Pull out the Naniwa 12k for the finish and 2. See if the jump from the Suehiro 6k to the 12k works.
    C9ECA652-DF4E-43FB-87F1-1B166763EE16.jpeg
    It had been a while since I used the 12k... the polish came fast and easy and the stone gave good feedback. No news here for anyone - just a great synthetic stone.
    The visual polish and the feel on the 12k led me to believe the 6k to 12k works. No stray striations and no additional crazy time to get to that point. We’ll see how the shave goes later. I did strop on CrOx after the 12k.
    Enjoy your honing!
    Tom
    Oh yeah... Naniwa 1k and Shapton 4k For bevel work.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Touch up time: A bunch of razors. Everyone saw the Naniwa 12k and then either Sueherio G20 or Shapton Glass 16. Stropped on CroX then 50k diamond.

IMG_5033.jpg

5. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

W M Elliott & sons razor, touched up on the Welsh slate “dragons tongue”. Then stropped on CroX’ed leather. The shave was comfortable, and I’m good and smooth. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

7. TestDepth

I remembered this one and felt I had to try and get it ready for today...
    Wade & Butcher The Celebrated Old Army Razor 1776
    Went Coticule(s)... a vintage combo and ended with an Extra Extra Fine bout.
    EABA193F-D921-4A5D-8117-072B06933774.jpeg
    It’s a full wedge, not a favorite, but worth throwing up a razor with 1776 on it today. :)
    Enjoy your honing.
    Tom

8. Brickman301

Very nice! Happy 4th of July to you.

Billyfergie, Arnout and TestDepth like this.
  9. TestDepth

Thank you. And Happy 4th to you.
    Tom

Billyfergie and Brickman301 like this.
  10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I honed several today. This one is for a co-worker in Missouri that I will see in a couple of weeks. He has expressed an interest in straights. I told him he will need to find a strop, but I’ll supply the razor.
    It’s a Thomas Mfg from Dayton Ohio that honed up nice. I’ll do my best to give him some pointers when I give him the razor.
    [​IMG]

11. TestDepth

Very generous gift of a cool razor! :happy088:

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. I hope he figures this out.

Billyfergie, Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1221.jpg

Just playing around day before yesterday to see how the Gold Rex would take to an old favorite Nakayama kiita koppa. After the usual routine, I added 20 strokes on clear water, flipping the blade each stroke. Followed with about 6 dry strokes on the uchigumori in the background then stropped. Shave was a perfect 10/10.

Cheers, Steve

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1226.jpg

User-grade Tanifuji Maxfli 100 touched up last night, 8k Shapton Pro followed by koma and a tomonagura on the finisher. Followed by a few dry strokes on an uchigumori and a few palm strops (Livi recommends palm stropping and I think that it helps) then 20/35/65 on a Kanoyama 80000.

Cheers, Steve

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m glad I am not the only one that palm strops. I will palm strop inbetween passes too.

16. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

My Puma Inox was missing a little something, a touch of tug. Out comes a pink Coticule for water only touch up. While it was out, two more German SR refreshed for the next two weeks

5489443A-2965-48B4-90B0-F802FA2DF822-19666-000008070FF35448.jpeg

17. Brickman301

Honed my new to me Boker on the 15K welsh slate hone this evening. I knew this razor was close to being shave ready, and only needed a little help. I didn’t count laps, I lapped it for a minute or so with just water on the hone, then stroped it. Tried shaving, and felt it need a little more. Back to the stone, for a few more laps, then to the strop again. Everything felt right to me, this time. I finished my shave and I’m dolphin smooth. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul76, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 8 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:happy088::happy088:

dulac66, Billyfergie and Brickman301 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1233.jpg

A new stone arrived this morning from Japan, a suminagashi or 'ink' (marbled) pattern greenish-gray size 60 (about 190x70). I hadn't shaved yet, so I put a Gold Dollar test razor to it even though it wasn't as flat as I'd like. The razor shaved very smoothly so I have high hopes for this stone.

Cheers, Steve

20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member