What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Really having fun with this progression + the Landers, Frary & Clark blew me away last week... so decided to hone up some smaller blades.
    Used the Suehiro “Deluxe” 1k (red) then Naniwa Hayabusa 4k (peach) followed up with the natural combo Coticule (top) and finished on the “Extra Extra Fine” Coticule (bottom).
    1DC57DA2-FCB4-49A3-97AC-96350B165FD2.jpeg
    Razors Bottom to Top:
    Challenge Razor Works “Clean Shave” out of Connecticut... fingers crossed that it is anything like the LF&C
    CV Heljestrand MK8
    Wade & Butcher
    I know this one looks weird, reground and tapered towards the barber’s notch. The old stamp and the weird shape made it irresistible to me!:)
    5E4600BB-9D72-439B-9A56-CE2DD5A1EFED.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    These are my most recent this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1357.jpg IMG_1359.jpg IMG_1362.jpg

It's always a great day when the mailman brings a new stone from Japan! Here's a nice barber-size karasu that's getting the shakedown razors today. The script stamp says 'pure original mountain polishing stone' I think, if I'm reading the script correctly. The rectangular stamp is 'kamisori-yo' or 'for razor', and the stamps inside the wreath say 'superb' or 'exquisite'. Those 'lizard skin' style boxes dated to about the 1960s.

A Gold Dollar was first, HHT was excellent. Next up, a user Hayashi finished on thin slurry and a user Filly DT finished the same + clear water strokes. HHT about the same on both so maybe clear water maybe isn't doing a lot on this stone - pot luck though, you just have to test them. HHT was silent at about 3/4" (20mm) root out and silent at 3/8 - 1/2" (about 10-12mm) root in - this usually indicates a really smooth edge but the morning will tell.

Cheers, Steve

Billyfergie, Arnout, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

"Will Bear Inspection"
    Henry Sears & Son Diamond Edge 7/8. It has had a long life with many honings as it is now a 6/8. Still has a lovely even bevel.
    [​IMG]

"I smell...Bone!!"
    Simon Pure Cutlery Co. BELL
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, Arnout, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  5. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Damn that’s such a nice stone!

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir!

Cheers, Steve

CastleShave likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

KYOEI #55. Japanese 1/2 hollow.

This was a rehone, because it had been loaned out. I took it down to the 3k and worked up to the Welsh Slate Stones and the Arkansas Surgical Black.

P8150411.JPG

Billyfergie, Arnout, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Gold Bug. "Full Concave". By, A.Witte, Germany.

This was a full restore. It easily took a pre-Bevel with the Norton 220 grit/1k stone. Then I worked through the Welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkansas Surgical Black. Excellent Edge.

P8150410.JPG

Billyfergie, Arnout, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  9. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Billyfergie, Arnout, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  10. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Is this your preferred progression (Welsh + surgical Arkansas?). I only ask because I have recently been enjoying the discovery of Welsh followed by Charnley Forest.

Which Welsh stones do you use?

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1367.jpg

French Gelle-Freres 'Royal Suedois' (Swedish). Like a lot of these old razors from Europe, it had a small frown from decades of narrow hones/pasted strops, so that was removed using a mellow 325 DMT. The rest of the progression was Shapton Glass 1k, 2k, 4k, and 8k, followed by koma nagura and tomo nagura. It got the full treatment, all with 1 mil Kapton tape. Edge HHTed great, shave to come.

Cheers, Steve

Arnout, DaltonGang, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

They are roughly an 8k, 12k, and 15k. The 12k Welsh Slate is Purple. I forgot the catchy names given to each.
    Here is a link to the thread about them:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/welsh-slate-stones.52662/

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Paul76 and 3 others like this.
  13. SevenEighth

Wow - super interesting - especially the unnamed black slate. I have the other two which were advertised as slightly higher grit - not that I necessarily believe that.

I have been using the Dragon's Tongue with a Charnley Forest. I am intrigued by the Surgical Arkansas stones but I have blown my honing stone budget - probably for the rest of the year. Still, hoping to get some time on the stones next week and you have inspired me.

14. DaltonGang

I'm happy to help. Hopefully, I dont give you any bad advise.

15. SevenEighth

No such thing as bad advice - it's just how you use it.

16. DaltonGang

Lakeside Cutlery Co.

American Made, Extra Hollow Ground. I did a little restoration on it first. Off to the stones it went. It took on a wonderful edge, from the start. Welsh Slate Stones, and an Arkansas Surgical Black finished it off. Very very well made. The blade was super straight, and easy to hone.

P8160418.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Steve56, Keithmax, TestDepth and 5 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

S.R.Droescher. "SRD". "Quick & Easy"
    Solingen Germany
    Extra Hollow Ground

Easy to set and easy to finish . Welsh Slate Stones and an Arkansas Surgical Black finished it. Excellent edge. Straight as an Arrow blade.

P8160419.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Steve56, Keithmax, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Wade & Butcher
    Sheffield , England.
    1/2 Hollow Blade

A little more difficult to hone. It had a crummy edge, from the start, and needed a lot of attention and blade gymnastics. Upon watching the water being pushed, it was obvious the blade had a slight warp in it, right in the center. So, much care and attention was needed along each step. Welsh Slate Stones and Arkansas Surgical Black finished it off. In the end, it was popping hairs easily.

P8160420.JPG

Steve56, Keithmax, TestDepth and 6 others like this.
  19. SevenEighth

Inspired by @DaltonGang I set the bevel on this Böker Elite with a Chosera 1k, and then moved onto my Welsh stones, heavy slurry to water on each and then finished with a Charnley Forest.

It resulted in a sweet edge and I had the closest shave in a long time.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Steve56, Arnout, Newcreature and 5 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Excellent.:happy096:

Paul76 and TestDepth like this.