What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Earlier this week I found a small chip on this wade and butcher. I worked that out on the norton 1k and then moved to a coticule with a medium slurry and diluted to just water. It gave a very comfortably smooth 3 pass shave. 70269F5F-1901-49EE-A0F8-C6D7806D7448.jpeg

Brickman301, Steve56, Arnout and 7 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took a Jose Monserrat Pou Medallon Taurino 14 “Capote” through its paces...
    1st generation Filarmonica with one of the Bullfighting scenes on the blade face. The Capote being the larger cape used to “learn” the tendencies of the bull during the first phase of the bullfight.
    Please correct me if I’m wrong as I have never witnessed an actual bullfight but I have learned to google :lam:.
    F8C64809-3CA3-49DC-BE01-309B8D5D50D4.jpeg
    Suehiro 1&6k for the bevel set and refinement, followed up with a Mejiro then Nakayama tomo on that Okudo.
    Happy honing!
    Tom

Brickman301, Arnout, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  3. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

This TI Wolf and Sheep. Bevel set on a Dalmore Blue with lots of slurry. Two cycles of slurry to water on a Dragon's Tongue and a Llyn Melynllyn, finished on a Charnley Forest. Very clean even bevel from the Dalmore Blue. Razor shaved very nicely. [​IMG]

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1417.jpg

Here's a new blade to the herd, an M. Abdallah, Phila (delphia) and 'Made in Germany' on the obverse tang. The scales looked nice so I threw out a snipe and then forgot about it until I got a notice to pay up. I can't find out anything about M. Abdallah, but no doubt a cutlery shop, hardware store, or barber supply in Philadelphia. It has what appears to be olive branches and big hammer etched on the blade. This is a pretty nice blade, light-moderate honewear but the shape is excellent and the grind is good. But it is an eBay special and the edge needed a little TLC so my progression was Shapton Glass 1k, 2k, and 4k, followed by a nice fast kiita with diamond plate slurry then a Nakayama karasu finisher. I use one layer of 1 mil Kapton on the spine and that 1 layer lasted all the way. The Gold Rex was just in for touch up on the final finisher since I had the slurry going.

Both took superb edges.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Paul76, Brickman301, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I used a Naniwa SS 1,5,8 then Shapton 12k and finished with a Shapton glass 16. They all look good through the loop and are tree toping hair, hopefully they will shave.

Silverloaf
    Koraat
    Atlas 3/4 grind JWest
    Friodur 8/8

ID - 2.jpg

Paul76, Brickman301, Arnout and 4 others like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Wowzaa ! Now that’s some eye candy @Keithmax

Cheers, Steve

7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Honed up this newly “created” micro razor - Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co “USA”
    Same size as a DE blade. Went Synthetic through 4k then Coticules.
    Finished on this small bout to make the razor look bigger :)
    331D64FA-A02E-484C-A924-86A3EB450B9D.jpeg
    Then wanted to baseline a razor before I started to learn how to use an Arkansas. Just got some SiC powder and prepped the Ark, so took this up through the Naniwa 12k to prep the razor. Will shave and then go from there. Looking forward to trying something new.
    3EBC90D8-45A6-45C1-AD33-E0F7F32B5B56.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

8. Keithmax

:signs001:

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. doc226

doc226 Member

[​IMG]

Touched this one up today, will be on deck tomorrow.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wade & Butcher 7/8 th inch.
    Sheffield.

This was a complete restore, top to bottom, and my first attempt at making scales.
    This one took a beautiful edge, from the bevel setting until the end. It was also tree topping hairs, after every stone in the progression. I finished with Welsh Slate Stones and an Arkansas Surgical Black.

Before:

Before Wade Butcher A.JPG

Before Wade Butcher B.JPG

After: With a beautiful bevel.
    This blade was perfectly straight, from the spine, to the edge.
    The pictures show dark areas, which are just shadows.

P9110525.JPG

P9110526.JPG

Karl G, Paul76, Brickman301 and 7 others like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful work, Scott!

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well done sir!

Cheers, Steve

13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Whilst Natural Stones Cant be Grit Rated..They Sure Can be Grit Capacity Estimated by Comparing to Known Grit Rated Stones or the Known Finishng Capacity of a Stone...This is a Yellow Lake BRANDED Welsh Slate..Not Necessarily a Yellow Lake Stone...I Can Tell Ya..This Stone of Mine & I Can Only Speak of this Stone in MY HANDS..;)

Belive it or Not..Has Well Over a 20 K Finishing Capacity..Its Has a Higher Grit Finishing Capicity than My Surgical Black Arkansas which I Estimate in My Hands to be around 20 K Finishing Capacity..I Done a Blade on this Stone for @Karl G & he Loves the Particular Edge from this Stone & I Took it Off around the 17 K Mark..:)

I Have Finished a Number of Blades for Folks on this Welsh Slate & have Been Asked a Number of Times for its Use on Finishing Folks Razors...Its an Oil Stone & I Only Use Bisley Gun Oil & Use it Purely as a Finisher..For Me its as Consistent as a Synthetic..:p

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Paul76, Brickman301 and 6 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Joh.Engstrom
    Eskilstuna, Sweden.

This blade hadn't seen much use, and I know why. The blade is warped. I love it when old razors are put up, because someone, over 100 years ago, couldn't find a way to sharpen it. It looked as if the owner got angry and banged it against something, 6 times. There were six chips in the blade, from toe to heal.
    Well, lucky for me, I know the solutions. Hone out the chips, and do some major Gymnastics moves on the stones. Once the bevel was set, the edge was super sharp. This is some hard steel, and it took about twice the usual strokes that other razors take. Swedish steel is awesome. But, a pain to hone.
    So, after the stones workout, and finishing on the Welsh Slate Stones, and Arki Surgical Black, this razor was super sharp. I will give it a shave in a day or two.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:
    BTW, the Brass Spine is Golden colored. The flash washed the gold color out. It's quit pretty in person.

P9110528.JPG

P9110529.JPG

15. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Just finished giving this one a new edge and reallllly excited to give it another shot. The last shave I did with it was ok. Chewed up my face a bit. When I took it under the loupe I noticed it had “teeth” and I’m like no wonder lol. Anywho I checked her with the loupe again and she’s all polished up with a pin straight edge. Looking forward to my next shave with it to hopefully redeem the last shave![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul76, Brickman301, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  16. Keithmax

:love055: Wow, how big is the blade?

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I've made that mistake before. Always look under the loupe, especially before progressing past the bevel setting stage.

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  18. doc226

doc226 Member

It’s right around 8/8

19. DaltonGang

Go. Wostenholm & Son. 7/8th Full on Wedge.
    "The Original & True Pipe Razor
    Manufactured Only By The
    George Wostenholm & Son's
    Washington Works, Sheffield.

This was a full on Restore Job. It even received new scales. But that's in another thread.
    Today, I looked at the edge, under the 60x loupe, and I didn't like what I saw. It was chippy, along the entire edge. It also had a huge bevel. Not surprising, since it is a "Full Wedge", and it had been honed a few times, by who, God only knows 100 or so years ago. Because they did a poor job. The spine had a little wear, and Wedged aren't happy with that. So, I ground off the chip, put 2 layers of tape on it, and started on the Norton 220 grit stone. This showed fast, that three layers of tape was needed. Huge Bevel. When finished with the 220, I changed tape, then I took it to the 1k Norton. After that, the edge had some micro chipping. Crap!!! I Killed the edged, and tried the 1k again. Still chipping. Double Crap!!!!. Again, I Killed the edge. and added another layer of tape. Now there are 4 layers. Again to the 1k, and set a sharp bevel. The bevel looked the right size, and under the loupe, the micro chipping stopped. So, I did my usual progression, and ended up finishing with the Welsh Slate stones. A little work on the Balsa Strop, and some Leather, and this blade is as sharp as anything in my little collection.

P9120532.JPG

jgreenepa, TestDepth, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  20. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Good job beating that piece of steel into submission!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk