What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

"Never Give Up". Well, almost never.

2. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DaltonGang

Taylor "Witness" 13/16th+
    Sheffield England

This one started out a wreck. It was a major rust bucket, with broken scales. I fixed as much as I could. Sanded, polished, and replaced the scales.
    Now, today was labor intensive. It had a couple of moderate chips, that were massaged out. I then brought back the bevel with the Norton 220 grit stone, and refined the bevel on the 1k. The 60x told me different. It felt smooth, on the thumbnail test, but the 60x doesnt lie. The bevel had two small inclusions along the edge, because of the razors history with rust. I ended up having to remove the entire bevel and reset everything. That done, which took a while, the edge came on fast and sharp. I finished with the Welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkansas Surgical Black Stone. This is some very hard steel, that was resistant to bevels. But luckily the 220 stone gives me a little edge. The razor ended up with a HHT-CN.

Before:
    After the rust was removed, and the pitting left behind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:
    13/16th+ inch still there.

P9120535.JPG

Steve56, Arnout, M14Shooter and 7 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice Job Scott..I Have Two of those Taylor & Witness Sheffield Blades..The One Above is a 15/16th & One Below a 7/8th..They are Beautiful Shavers & in My Humble Opinion are Not Run of the Mill..They are Slightly Thinner Ground than Most Sheffield Full Hollows & NOT Very Hard Steel..:)

It Just Takes a Moment or Longer to Remove a LOT of Metal So its Just in the MIND that they are Hard Steel..They Dont Like a Lot of Pressure when Setting the Bevel Like Most Sheffield Hollow Grinds..They Dont Remove Steel with Undue Force in My Experience..;)

These Two Taylor & Witnesses I have are Treasured in My Own Collection..Wonderful Shavers..These Two were NOS When I Got Em..Hard to Find Em in this Nick..Another thing..Sheffield Hollow Grinds are Optimal Between 12 K & 16 K..Above the 16 Mark they Can be Lethal & in My Humble Opinion for Whats its Worth Nasty to Shave with..Thats My Experience with Sheffield Hollow Grinds in General..:D

Enjoy..:happy005:

Billy..:chores016:

5. DaltonGang

I guess i will find out if the Arkie Surgical Black put too much of an edge on it . Yours do look like beautiful.. You are probably right about the hardness. It was a pain and time consuming, having to completely reset the bevel several times. Serves me right, for taking on these Rusty Crusty razors.

6. Billyfergie

Scott..I Use My Surgical Black Arkansas for Some of My Own Sheffield Blades...The 1000 15/16th at the Top has a Surgical Black Arkie Edge on it..I Take it Off at the 16 K Mark..I Use 1 Micron = 16 K Lapping Film as a Pre Finisher & a Few Ticks Turns it Over to a 16 K Arkie Edge..I Hit the Mark Every Time..Just My Way of Doin it for Consistency & Fun of Course..:happy088:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. DaltonGang

Me, I'm just fumbling around. :D

8. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Currently on my bench
    Another Rattler
    Art of shaving Dovo with gold spine
    And
    Vintage heinr Boker with the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Paul76 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Fumbling Around..Oh Yeah..:rofl:

10. DaltonGang

You have me discombobulated, with that pic.

11. DaltonGang

Geneva Cutlery Corp. 13/16th inch

This was a PITA. The blade bevel was rusted, which required the entire bevel to be removed, due to pitting. The rest of the blade cleaned up well. The bevel was difficult to bring up, even though it was straight as an arrow. I was almost finished with the Welsh Slate Stones, when I noticed about 1/4 of an inch wasn't up to speed. So, I brought it back down to the 1k and it went super fast from there. It was finished on the Welsh Slate Stones, and the Arkie Surgical Black. It is wickedly sharp now.

P9130539.JPG

12. DaltonGang

"Trade Mark" ??
    No Other Marking on the Blade

This was a full on restore, and was gunked up. But, in the Honing, it went surprisingly well. It took a fast edge, that was very very sharp. Welsh Slate Stones, and and Arkansas Surgical Black finished it out.

P9130538.JPG

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

AAD255DD-118F-4EB4-8538-BE15271ACE38.jpeg

Gentlemen, it’s been about a week since I’ve posted and this isn’t really a honing or shaving post but I believe this is the right place to put it. I’ve been doing an edge exchange with a friend of mine. Edge exchanges are a fun way to experience edges from other stones, compare your hones/skills to other folks, and to let them do the same. I encourage you to give it a whirl.

Clockwise from upper left, a Joseph Rodgers finished with a Tam O Shanter and a Fiddich River stone, a Wostenholm finished on an Okudo iromono, a red Imp finished on a piece of Narutaki stone and an easy Cutter (no other marks) finisher now in question. Narutaki stone is usually used in sword polishing not honing, but many are hard enough to hone.

The Rodgers and Wosty were both super smooth, as good as I can do with a jnat. The Imp was just a tad under those two, but I was Impressed with the edge from a stone not normally used for sharpening. The Easy Cutter consistently pulled, and in talking with Tom he maybe feels that for some reason that one may not have been properly finished.

I’ll re-finish these with my own edges when I return them except for the Easy Cutter which I am leaving as-is for his troubleshooting. So it’s been very informative and a lot of fun. Tom can certainly hone a razor!

Cheers, Steve

14. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I swapped and even bougth razors to find out about how others like their edge, and how they like mine, i learned a lot that way!

15. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Honing this “Comfort” shorty on a new to me Coticule. I really enjoy the green tint and marbled look of this stone. Pretty hard so we’ll see how she finishes a blade.

Also tried setting a bevel with this vintage stone on the bottom. Not sure what it is, but seems Arkansas like - maybe a Washita. It did allow me to set the bevel, but no real feedback that I could figure out. Should be fun to learn.
    B4305DE7-E014-474E-BD29-5C6702EED33E.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

16. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Coming to the finish line on this project W&B...

Ping ponged between Suehiro (1k&6k) and Naniwa (4k&12k), then ended with a Thuringian.
    3D9AC12A-35CA-4520-8B08-8CFAE568095D.jpeg
    It’s sitting on the 12k, Suehiro (both) to the left and the Naniwa 4k to the right.

With the original rust condition and the dremel work, the edge was a little messed up when I started. :)
    But the 1k got me through the bad stuff and I jumped to the 4k to really get the bevel in good shape. It was popping arm hair after stropping, so the shave should be interesting.
    Happy Honing!
    Tom

17. DaltonGang

Good to see the pitting didn't require too much edge to be removed.

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Had to refresh the GD66 edge a bit. Now it shaves much better.

19. DaltonGang

You and your Ghost Razors. You know them rules. ( :signs154:)

20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Lol I keep forgetting to take pics. Doh!

Keithmax, Edison Carter and mrchick like this.