What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Please, do send a pic, never seen a ghost dollar

And it is not that easy to post a pic by the way they are always to big, atthe moment i use tinypic

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

on your computer, just right click on the photo, select edit, and resize option. Then resize 50 or 75. It always works for me, now. Now, if you are doing everything on your phone, I'm clueless.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Edison Carter and Arnout like this.
  3. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Thx, but this shaving thing is indeed a phone thing,...

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Taylor Eye Witness The 3000
    Champion lines!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Going all natural this afternoon with this 13/16 Wade & Butcher...
    E6C56C59-25D8-4D63-9CD5-5784CBCEFBB1.jpeg
    Set the bevel with that brownish stone in the middle (maybe Washita - slurry was white milky, like 1% skim :)). Continued with quite a bit of work on that Coticule, and then finished on the Thuringian up top.

I really like the look of the Coti - going from that yellowish color to pink then almost purple. Then it has an almost wood grain appearance

Happy honing!
    Tom

6. TestDepth

Continuing with the Coticule/Thuringian combo...
    This WH Morley & Sons already had a pretty straight but dull edge to start, so set the bevel and refined on this little combo Coticule - just the yellow side and then finished on the Thuri.
    7880CE22-2140-4FD3-AAE7-36E3DB5114B0.jpeg
    Happy honing!
    Tom

Steve56, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Those are fine razors. I just acquired lne, in a razor lot, today. Yours looks nicer.

8. TestDepth

I saw that. I like the scales on yours. If I recall correctly, they were only part of a 14 year run : 1913-1927.

Edison Carter and DaltonGang like this.
  9. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

This modern British Windrose is a slight curiosity. It has a shorter than usual smiling blade. Supposedly came shave ready. I disagree.

The bevel was a pig to set. Chosera was unsuccessful. In the end I used a Gwespyr and a coticule for the progression.

Good enough shave. Would like to try a different finisher on it next time. [​IMG]

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I hold this one last night in my hotel room.
    Portland Razor Company Siren [​IMG]

11. SevenEighth

That's hardcore - I have an ambition to get to a single coticule for traveling. Never quite manage it though.

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  12. mrchick

Last Portland Razor Company shave of the week. I’m heading home today
    [​IMG]

13. mrchick

Thank you. Keep hunting.

SevenEighth likes this.
  14. SevenEighth

I know it isn't necessarily the most important factor, but do you know the vein of yours?... And how do you use it? Slurry or water only?

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  15. SevenEighth

Worked on a vintage C Myers and Son Sheffield last night. It had a neat bevel that wasn't working for me. Reset the bevel on a Dalmore Blue - slurry from silicon carbide wet n dry. Progression of Inigo Jones dragon tongue, AJ Llyn Melynllyn and AJ Yellowlake. Spent a lot of time on the yellowlake with water. Finished on a weird Dalmore like hone I bought recently. I am very pleased with the results - probably the best edge I have put on a razor - very very sharp but smooth at the same time.

Keithmax, mrchick and TestDepth like this.
  16. mrchick

All I know is I found it in an antiques shop for $5. I use it with water only for touch up. It seems to work well that way.

TestDepth, Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.
  17. SevenEighth

In the fountain pen world that would be classed as a sumgai purchase (amazing find... very little money)

They are the best stones aren't they! - The ones you find that you don't quite know what they are but hone beautifully.

TestDepth, Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Pics pics pics pics. :D

19. SevenEighth

Oh, go on then... [​IMG]

20. SevenEighth

I had at it with the Windrose again. Stuck with one coticule:

heavy thick slurry - - > milky slurry - - > cloudy slurry - - > water

I did this progression twice. The second time the slurry darkened consistently from the steel coming off. Possibly because I was getting the hang of the stone by that time.

Then, following @DaltonGang 's advice, I finished with soapy water, which was fabulous on this coticule!!!

I had a very nice, close two pass shave.

Finally this razor is shaving like a real razor.
    [​IMG]