What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

3FC3CE92-EE03-4DE0-829E-FAAEC01A3B64.jpeg

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Amen brother!

5. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Charlie Lewis
    Jayaruh #274 Boar Brush
    Barrister and Mann Adiago Shaving Soap
    Sandlewood Preshave Oil
    Pinald Clubman Aftershave

Second shave with this Charlie Lewis razor, and I am very impressed with how this razor handles.

Enjoy your evening gentlemen![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I knew it, now I have the justification for one more. :happy102:

:love029:

7. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

9701825C-A84C-416A-8916-D61EBD541B78.jpeg
    Genco Henry’s XX
    Geneva Cutlery 23
    (Coe gray polisher and dmt card coarse)

Both needed chips taken out of bevel....
    And still need some resto work....

Both are singing now!!!!

King 1k slurried, 3k 3/8k amazon special slurried, washita slurried, 8k amazon slurried, Coe gray polisher slurried. Progressive diamond pasted balsa strops. Slurried with coarse dmt card.... playing with slurries experimenting. Definitely speeds up hones

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Keithmax, Frijolero, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hmmmmm. You know what's about to be said. We need :signs154:!!!!

Keithmax, Frijolero, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  9. Leclec13

Updated post. They are not the prettiest ..... yet.

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

ADF46871-DD8C-4B55-A8BB-1D4836E0FCDD.jpeg

Put my own edge on the Filly 14 Sub Cero, quite the journey! That thing is HARD - now I want to see how long that I can keep the edge going. It was honed with one layer of electrical tape, but I usually don’t use tape on my regular users unless there’s a reason to. It was honed on the Guacamole 20k, and that was a good edge.

I started out though, with 1 layer of 2.7 mil Kapton to re-cut the bevel, so that was my concession to preventing spine wear since the hone is going to start cutting up at the bevel shoulder. When I got to the edge, I pulled the tape and continued on. Usually I’d do this on a 4k Shapton Glass, but the going was slow so I went to the 2k Glass. The steel is very hard, so I ended up doing a back-and-forth between the two, 2 trips to the 2k and 4 trips on the 4k to set the new bevel. Did I mention that this thing is HARD?

After the bevel set, I used my normal ‘tweener’ kiita, and the edge tested well. After the finisher, one of my usuals, the edge would still ‘ping’ the HHT a little, and when a full hollow does this, I know that the edge could be better. So I tried a different finisher - better but still not silent HHT. So I tried a third, the one pictured above which I know works well with my Puma Inox Frozensteel, another picky razor. Presto, silent HHT.

This kind of thing I have discussed with Alex Gilmore regarding sharpening the new semi-stainless, wear-resistant knife steels, like the SLD slicer that I have. Steel is also very hard, and you can take two jnats that both work well with carbon steel, and one will cut the SLD normally and the other won’t. So that is one thing nice about the ‘rock collection’, I can just try different hones until I find one that works, though if it works with the Puma it usually works well with the other problem children too.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. brit

brit in a box

cool razor sir..

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Gary!

Billyfergie, brit and TestDepth like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

01443D3B-1F1F-43F7-9BA5-A737D2FB003E.jpeg

Honed these up for a friend up the road a ways, Ralf Aust 6/8 and a Gold Dollar. He was wanting to try some different jnat edges, so the Aust (nice razor BTW) was finished on the same stone as my Sub Cero, the Gold Dollar on a Kato-era Nakayama maru-ka.

The other stones were a Shapton Glass 4k and my Nakayama kiita pre-finisher.

15. Leclec13

Looks like a Coti ringtone/slurry stone? Are you using coti slurry on jnat?

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nope, they’re all jnat.

17. Leclec13

71882660-A345-4F39-9DA6-A2AA6808C9DB.jpeg

TI On Coe Dota Creek ark with coti slurry. Then leather bench strop only. One stone only! I may have bent some rule with coti slurry on an ark..... this SR has been my honing nemesis, it has a twist in it as these frenchies can have, and was one of the first razors I’ve owned. I’ve had it pro honed 1x. I recently learned how to hone with the twist. Dumbed it down then coti slurry on dota creek, dilutions, finished with ballistol, water, dawn. today was the best i’ve Been able to get it, I still feel like there is room for improvement on it. I’m new to coti slurry it does speed things up. Still not in love with this one.... I not quitting on you yet...... (towel borrowed from last cruise)

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

799350FB-3B52-47DD-8E64-B84F33A7F475.jpeg

Doing a tomo test, 3 different ones, one razor, one hone. The hone is a stupid hard grey Okuda and the first candidate is the yellow stone on the right. The edge honed up well and the HHT silent or near silent root in or out. Shaved well, so the tomo passed with honors, at least on this stone.

Frijolero, brit, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Introduced both of my Chinese - Harry Home Honer Homework projects to the Naniwa progression and tape yesterday, then did the shave test today. Used the sharpie trick and went from a muted edge.

The Gold Dollar surprised me. Honed up quite easily and even for such a rough looking tool.

I expected the ZY to be as easy since the bevel appeared shiny and even (as honed by ZY's very own honemiester).
    On the stone you could see the huge warp on the edge as the water was moved around. Middle or edges, never both. 'Harry the Honer' was trying to tell me to just grind the bejebers out of it on the 1k, I refused. I worked each abrasive grit so that the Sharpie was removed to the apex. I was never really pleased with the amount of maneuvering that was required.

When finished, both went cloth, FeOx, and leather stropping.

20190528_130313-1.jpeg

Shave test.

ZY - first pass. Shaves better than from the ZY honemiester, but still poorly. Needs work. Think I'll try convexes.

Gold Dollar - 2nd pass. Very nice. Not my best shaver, but I could be content with this. Finished with this razor even though I had the shavette handy.

Attached Files:

Frijolero, Billyfergie, brit and 3 others like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

839108B4-3C87-4D1C-B31B-98ED788F93F4.jpeg

Not exactly shaving gear, but every once in a while the ol’ cooking knives need some TLC. The large knife is an iron-clad Takeda blue steel sassanoa (bamboo leaf shape), a cross between a chef’s knife and a slicer. Takedas are very thin, and the narrower spine-to-edge profile reduces stickage. Makes quick work of spuds, onions, apples, etc. The paring knife is a cheapie but goodie, a Dojo stainless-clad blue steel core. The tip is very ‘pointy’ and is perfect for coring strawberries and other small work where some precision is needed.

I started with a Naniwa Superstone 1k, then Naniwa Superstone 5k, and finished them on the Japanese suita, a nice knife finisher.