What the Hell are Parents thinking???

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That’s a good question. Unfortunately, beyond insisting that pants be pulled up, there was little I could do, because the school’s administration didn’t back us up on this issue.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I hear the same, from the wife, about administrators. . Except for the school she is at now.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    brit, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Wow...from shirts then to aftershave scents now.

4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I look at this generation of kids and think, "What the hell are they thinking??" And I have a 13 year old son w/ autism and mental health issues
    And by comparison, I can see why my son has challenges when it comes to decision making and appropriate behavior. But I don't reinforce that those are good behaviors. I still try to teach him to do right in all aspects of life. In a way he can understand. Now kids with less challenging lives and higher IQs scare me because they should know better.

brit, Hembree, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

So true. My 16 year old is now at the age where he can work. And he's trying to finalize arrangements with the gym we belong to so he can be a lifeguard there. He needed working papers which required several signatures on it. I told him he needed to call the people who need to sign and make arrangements to get it to them to sign. I told him I'd drive him. He tells me he just wants to email them. I said no, you can't just email them. It will take a million years to accomplish it. You call them. He tells me he doesn't like to talk to people on the phone because he doesn't know what to say. So I spoon fed him what he should say. What does he do? He calls the dean of his school (private school a half hour away) gets the voicemail and says who he is, why he's calling and asking if he can call him back to arrange a date and time. What does he do? He forgets to leave his voicemail. Just says "Ok. Goodbye." These kids have no idea how to speak with people because they spend all day on the computer. And mine isn't as bad as some of these other kids who never go outside. My son is more of the outdoors type. But the interpersonal skills are sorely lacking. Some of it is teenage awkwardness. But some of it is of their own creation. As a result of his lack of ability to communicate clearly, I took him to the school to get the thing signed. No one was there to sign. I told him, you're taking the train the next time. He went by train another day, and came back without the signatures. Braindead. He got it done. But these kids also don't deal with email. The club sent him instructions for things he needs to do and submit online so they can issue an employee number. Unfortunately they sent three separate emails with a different requirement in each email. Did he read them thoroughly? No. As a result after a couple of weeks he still doesn't have his employee number. He could have been working. So he's missing out on a valuable paycheck. Braindead.

brit, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've got some friends (long-time married moms and dads) who faithfully and regularly spent time with their kids (at home and in their different activities), didn't let them run wild on-line, expected them to go to church with the family every Sunday, and required them to do chores, be polite to elders, and complete their studies. And NO meant NO, and expectations were clearly understood. The kids turned out out to be well adjusted and very respectful...and they're now adults raising their families the same way.

Most of these families didn't have a lot of money or things, but they had something much more important and long-lasting. They are truly wealthy in my book. This can still be done, although today it seems the exception rather than the rule. Most of the problems I see today result from families that lack one or more of the things listed above. It's not rocket science or old-fashioned. It involves prioritizing and acting on timeless things that have been and will always be truly important.

brit, Hembree, Paul Turner and 4 others like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

People actually bother to notice or care about that? If their parents are OK with it, that is their decision to make. I would worry more about parents who raise their offspring to be rude, inconsiderate, loud, obnoxious, selfish, incredibly self-centered, or completely lacking in common sense.

Is that a Florida thing?

They more likely live vicariously through botox. ;) What makes you think house/tennis/trophy wives are especially permissive? From what I have seen, they want their daughters to grow up to be super beautiful, go to an Ivy League college, have a very successful career (i.e. make #### tons of money), and marry someone really wealthy. It is not about living vicariously, it is about bragging rights. "My kid is more successful than your kid."

I don't think swimwear choices will prevent anyone from going to church, being well mannered, or doing their chores. From what I saw when I was growing up, NO generally meant NO or Don't Get Caught If You Do. Some things we had to learn by trial and error. Virtually all of us grew up to be normal, well-adjusted adults, even those who came from really dysfunctional families. When we were teenagers, many of the girls wore skimpy bikinis, and a lot of guys wore tight fitting Speedo "marble sacks". Most of us went to church every Sunday, or at least Sunday school, so we weren't little pagans. We also did our chores and respected our elders.

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  8. Shaver X

No fathers is a direct consequence of legalizing no-fault divorce, and the resultant 50 percent divorce rate.

Frijolero, BigD, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

i think you missed the entire point. But, to put it simply: it is this chipping away, at morals, in American society, that is slowly bringing this country down. Dressing your daughter like a Stripper, at the neighborhood swimming pool, isnt good parenting. If you want to prance your kids around, butt naked, do it at your own house. I'm talking common sense in parenting, which aparently, many dont have. I do know that many of the hormone driven teens, dont seem to mind this kind of dress, and neither do some slobbering perverts, who dont mind watching this. I have two daughters, one an adult, and i wouldnt want one looking at them, like was happen at the pool that day.

10. Shaver X

No, I got your point. It's just that I see anti-social behavior as being of far greater concern than someone showing too much skin. Wearing a thong bikini today is like women wearing really revealing clothes, guys having long hair, wearing love beads, etc. many years ago. Kind of pointless and dumb, but relatively harmless. Teens do things like that in part to watch their elders bounce off the walls. Not that those are necessarily the wisest choices. There are lots worse things going on, though.

IMHO, things like greed, wanton violence, drug use, extreme selfishness, a near complete disregard for human life and the well-being of others, ill manners to the point of being loony, utter intolerance for differing viewpoints, etc. are a much greater threat. It often seems like people nowadays think they can act any old way they want. I see our current society as morally bankrupt, profoundly lacking in integrity and humanity, exceedingly greedy, increasingly corrupt, and incredibly uptight. Unless that gets fixed, it won't have a good outcome. Perhaps requiring people to get a parenting license before they have kids would help?

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

well said sir..nailed it..

Shaver X likes this.
  12. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but no, the drive to sexualize prepubescent children is not relatively harmless

13. DaltonGang

:signs011::signs011:

Frijolero, Shaver X and lightcs1776 like this.
  14. Shaver X

That part is pretty bad, and could very likely lead to lots of trouble. Thus the parenting licenses.

15. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have tried to stay out of the fray. I am very pointed about my opinions and don't want to offend. However, the idea that I would need a license to have kids doesn't set well. First, married couples will, and should, connect through intimacy. A natural side effect is children. I have four. I would never allow the government to license me for children. The government can't figure out how to conduct constitutional business, let alone my own family.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, Frijolero and ghostlife like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I think it is more of a statement. Then again, some parents are sooo bad a raising, or not raising, their children you begin to wonder.. Licensing is unrealistic, but, taking some peoples rights away seems appropriate for some. But, not for the trivial reasons we have been talking about, on this thread.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

This has been an interesting and thought-provoking discussion.

In humble opinion, we are not discussing problems that government can or should solve. These are heart and/or maturity issues. I am constantly reminded that the only person I can change is myself. I've had to learn my share of stuff the hard way. People are always watching, so the best I can do now is to set a good example.

Parents, however, are responsible for their kids in every way, whether they realize it or not.

DaltonGang, brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  18. Shaver X

Just because you are a good parent doesn't mean everyone else is. It simply means your children, and those of other good parents, are fortunate.

From what I can see, an increasing percentage of parents are unfit, something I find deeply troubling. This is likely due to and a cause of our declining society. Looking at some of the parents where in my town, I sometimes think to myself "Who the heck let these people breed? Under no circumstances should a child ever be placed in their care." It is not necessarily that these parents are abusive, but simply immature, stupid, vulgar and completely lacking in common sense. Back in the day, parents overall were a million times better. Not perfect, but good, conscientious parents.

Some justifications for requiring parenting licenses I have seen:
    • A woman was riding her bike on the sidewalk, letting her two kids, maybe 6 or 7 years old, ride their bicycles darting all over the place in the street. The street is far from narrow. I was driving the opposite direction, and stopped to avoid hitting them. I yelled "Hey lady, watch your kids!" to which she replied "They're fine". I just shook my head. Good way to teach your kids how to get killed, lady. Who let this idiot procreate? She would need to study a lot to get her parenting license.
    • People who jaywalk against a red light in a busy intersection, kids in tow. I see people doing this all the time. Dang, that is stupid! Don't they care if their kid follows their example and gets killed as a result? If not, then why are they allowed to raise children? They certainly are not qualified to do so. It is dangerous enough around here to cross with a pedestrian walk signal, so you can imagine how dangerous it is to cross against a red light. Requiring parenting licenses would fix this.
    • How about the two women who grabbed their kids by the hand and ran across the middle a busy downtown street? Yeah, they were lucky the drivers had quick reflexes, but that is still an incredibly dumb thing to do. I don't think it ever crossed their minds that they were setting an extremely bad example for their children. Or maybe they just didn't care? And they are allowed to raise children? They can do much better, and would if parenting licenses were required.
    • Parents leading their brood on a bicycle outing who completely ignore stop signs, barreling right through intersections without even slowing down and looking. Morons! Again, such people who should never be placed in charge of children. What is worse is that these children grow into older children and teenagers who do the same thing when bicycling on their own. Unfortunately, this is commonplace. Another good reason to have parenting licenses.
    • Parents bringing their kids into the grocery store and letting them run around all over the place keening like wounded animals. While other shoppers are trying to avoid tripping over these little jokers, the parents are gazing fondly at them with an "aren't they so cute?" expression. No parents, your kids are rotten little brats and you are big jerks! And they were allowed to bring kids into this world? What are these kids going to grow up to be like? Yet another good reason to require parenting licenses.
    The above are just a few of many examples of atrocious parental behavior I have seen. Not all parents are this way. I sometimes see some people who are really good parents. I always make sure to compliment these folks. They deserve it.

There are other examples of bad parenting that are infinitely worse than what I noted above. For example:
    • The woman in the apartment complex next to where I used to live. When her baby cried, she just let him cry, often putting him out on the deck. Only when I went in the backyard and yelled "Hey, shut that kid up!" would she take him inside. That woman should have never been permitted to have a child, and should not be allowed near any infants. No parenting license for her!
    • Parents pushing their kids to be perfect and ultra-successful. Nothing less is acceptable. The kids have to get straight A's, participate in sports (and excel!), take music lessons, and do many other things very well. The goal is to turn them into walking resumes, which helps them get into the very best universities. The problem comes when they are less than perfect - a B in a class instead of an A, didn't do so well at a chosen sport, etc. They sometimes resolve this by going to a rail crossing, and jumping in front of a train. Some 8-10 have done this so far, at least around here. What the eff, they were only teenagers. Talk about horrific examples of bad parenting! Placing guards at the rail crossings finally fixed the problem. A parenting license test would fix this, too.
    • Things various people have told me about their childhoods, which include neglect, incest, physical abuse, sexual abuse and emotional abuse. Even if these children don't grow up to inflict abuse on others, they are often incredibly screwed up as adults. Sometimes they do go onto inflict on their families the trauma they suffered as children. Never a better case for parenting licenses.
    The above examples are why I think people should be required to have a parenting license to have kids. That holds true even though I am otherwise very opposed to government interfering in people's lives, and believe a minimal government is usually the best. Many, many parents know far better than the government what is good for their kids. The government, screwed up as it is (i.e. a lot), knows better than many other people.

Finally, there are these bits of proof. Does anyone actually think such vile people should be allowed to have or be around kids? Seriously? These people are violent, profane, childish and schizo. A parenting license would filter these bad apples out. I feel sorry for their kids, it must be a terrible home life.

There are freaking men hitting women. Even women are brawling with each other. And a pregnant woman threatening people with a baseball bat. Man, I feel extra sorry for the baby she is about to bring into this world. Any child deserves better than to have that kind of mother. Yet another justification for requiring parenting licenses.

Teenagers are more mature, more intelligent, more civil, and much better mannered than some adults nowadays. When the umpire grows up and gets married, I'll bet he would pass the parent license test with flying colors.

All in my humble opinion.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    brit likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Good thing you aren't taking this thread too seriously.
    :duel:

Shaver X likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

some bad parents have bad kids,which turn into bad adults,who have more bad kids..the cycle continues..

Shaver X and DaltonGang like this.