What to do with a cracked blade?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TSimons, Aug 23, 2014.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I picked up a Wostenholm Pipe razor I never should have bid on. The scales are in great condition, and the razor is not that bad looking, but there is a nasty crack in the middle of the blade. The second picture isn't the best, but does help to show the size of the crack.

So, I can toss the razor (or just the blade and keep the scales), clean it up and keep it as a "show" piece, try to fix it or keep it for honing practice.

I'm not sure this is worth trying to fix, as it looks like a lot of steel needs to come off. I I decide to keep it for honing practice, could the crack cause damage to a stone or strop?

Any other suggestions as to what to do with this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

About the only fix I could think of would be to make a "shorty". Since I really never use the whole 3" of a blade, I think I'd like a shorter blade but it seems like most guys who do that leave about 2". Doesn't look like you'd be left with quite that much but maybe it would work. I'm sure somebody like Glen will pop in with an idea.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Too deep (into the blade) to hone out. Not a razor I would ever use, but it could certainly find a place as a 'practice' razor— to improve/practice one's honing technique.
    BTW: was the crack mentioned in the auction's description? These cracks can often be found hiding under layers of rust or grunge and don't reveal themselves until after a cleaning.

4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I would disassemble carefully and save the scales if they are OK.
    Then look for a similar razor that had damaged/broken scales
    and make 1 good razor from both.

I've got a couple of pretty decent straights at local antique shop
    lately for <$15.00 because the scales were trashed.
    I'm thinking replacing maybe micarta......?????:signs002:

SRNewb likes this.
  5. TSimons

The crack was mentioned in the listing, unfortunately I did not notice until after I bid. The best $10 I've spent, but it didn't break the bank either.

6. TSimons

I have though of making it a "shorty" but can't see myself using it

7. TSimons

Salvaging the scales is most likely the path I will choose. Not ready to start looking for a new blade yet...

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I got Nothing :(

Shorty and even that is a REAL shorty, I think you bought a $10 set of scales :)

9. TSimons

That seems to be the concensus.

Any opinion on putting this blade on a stone or is that just going to mess up the stone?

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…which ain't bad if the scales are in decent shape. :)
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to do it—just for practice. Any accidental 'gouge'—which I believe is unlikely to occur, can always be lapped out.

TSimons, Bristle Me and gssixgun like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Kev has a point in fact for practice that crack might really help you get a feel for NOT using enough pressure to flex the blade, I am thinking if you flex the blade you might scratch the stone.. So you might have a telltail there, might be worth a shot :D

TSimons and Bristle Me like this.
  12. Imperia La Roccia

Imperia La Roccia New Member

Ty,

Try Al with bigeasytools.com. He's been making custom knives and straight razor restorations and custom work on straights for decades. He's the best in the business as far as I can tell. If anyone can salvage or customize it, he can!

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  13. TSimons

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at his work but will probably pass this time around.

14. TSimons

Hopefully I'll learn something from the this particularly transaction. For now I think I will salvage the scales and save the blade for honing practice. I've been thinking about trying something else restore wise I can use this blade for testing with...

15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Looks like a great candidate to use as a restoration "Guinea Pig". For example, Wondering if you could use electricity to polish a blade ( :D )? Here's your huckleberry.

16. TSimons

I didn't even know that was a possibility! I'm thinking I might try our some bluing and or etching... and just general honing practice

17. entropy1049

I'm pretty sure it's not. Which is why this is an ideal candidate to try! ;)

18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

This blade can't be restored.

19. entropy1049

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  20. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

At least it was only a few dollars lost. I spoke with a member on another forum who purchased a filly with a similar crack in it for much more. He was pretty disappointed but was able to return it to the seller. It's happened to me and I'm sure it's happened to many of the members that purchase eBay razors on a regular basis.