What type of brush do you use the most.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Ceferguson, May 1, 2014.

?

What type of brush do you use more often for shaving.

Poll closed Jun 1, 2014.
  1. Silver tip badger

26.3%
  2. Best or better badger

26.3%
  3. Horse hair

7.0%
  4. Boar hair

35.1%
  5. Synthetic hair

5.3%
  1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Lately, I seem to be favoring two brushes: a Banat (turkish horsehair - verfied by an old hermit who divines doodle bug trails!) and a Marvy Pro (made by Omega).

The Marvy Pro has to be the Omega Pro knot set on a longer handle (rather than the squat, barrel-shaped regular Pro handle): the knots feel the same and appear identical. When I want a lather cannon, this is the howitzer of choice.

The Banat keeps leaping into my hand, though. Smaller than the cannon, it whips a great lather, maintains good backbone, offers just a little skritch, while feeling plenty soft — but distinct from either badger or boar! I like it better than the #6, but more because the "hollow cone effect" is less pronounced on the Banat. I suppose I should try a Vie Long to make sure I am a horse hair brush kind of guy. Maybe that's it!

Ceferguson likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Mostly I use silvertip brushes but on occasion I use boar and horse hair brushes. I don't like the feel of synthetics even though they build acceptable lather.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

A Vie-Long 12750.

Ceferguson likes this.
  4. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I split my time between the Turkish #6 and the Vie Long Horse Hair brushes.

5. HUF

HUF Active Member

I have a dozen mostly boar brushes. Omega 49, Semogue 830 and Omega boar/badger pricklish midget are in the current rotation.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Is toothbrush an acceptable answer? :D

Otherwise, it's my only shave brush, the (now discontinued) C&E Best Badger.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

With me it's one of two horsehair brushes - a #6 which is smallish, and a much larger kind which is almost identical.

Ceferguson and Hthomas like this.
  8. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I use badger and boar brushes, I really appreciate the boar brushes for when I'm in a hurry and want to face lather. I remember when I started off with a boar brush I thought someday I would get something better (badger) and when I did, I was surprised to find out I preferred the boar. It seems to pick up soap faster and lather better, especially if you want to lather straight on your face.

crackstar likes this.
  9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I have 20 brushes. I have 2 new boars, an Omega, and a Vulfix ...3 vintage boars, an Ever Ready, a Marvy, and a Made rite, 1 vintage Rubberset Pure badger, 3 new pure badgers, a Rooney, an Omega and a Frank Shaving.... four bests, two Simpsons and two Rooneys. One Frank Shaving in Finest and one Frank Shaving in High Mountain, a Rooney Heritage Super and a M&F Blonde Badger...two vintage restores by Gary one a Made Rite with a TGN Finest fan shape the other an Ever Ready with a bulb TGN Best knot, a vintage Nyal restored with a synthetic and I use them all. Sooner or later. But the ones I use the most are the Rooney Heritage Stubby 3, the M&F L7, the Omega pure badger (unbelievable bowl latherer) the Marvy 4 boar (ditto on the bowl thing), the Carrington Ever Ready and the Nyal synthetic.

Hthomas likes this.
  10. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I currently have only 2 brushes. A smaller badger brush that came with a kit I got for Christmas, and a cheap horse/boar brush I picked up at a stylist/barber supply store.

11. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

I know I'm late to the party,

Osborn No6 578 horsehair/boar mix paint brush. I have a couple of badgers, two boars but at the moment I'm fascinated with a little round paint brush.

12. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Right now it's my Omega Pro. But it really depends on my mood, I also love my Parker black badger. Eventually I'll add a silvertip And a few Omega tall synthetics (fake silvertip). Which I'm eyeing up an Omega tall series synthetic. Not crazy about the syntex. They make paint brushes for latex paints outta that material. Speaking of painting, how come there are no shaving brushes made out of camel hair, which are the absolute best paint brushes you can buy? Paint brushes like shaving brushes are made of boars hair, horse hair, badger hair and camel, along with polyester for non oil paints. Back to the synthetic Omega Body is, its Not cheap either at 42 bucks but it's a big tall loft brush which I prefer. I'll definitely add a few more Omega boar brushes both tall loft , medium and short for use, looks and nostalgia. Also a Semogue or two, and a couple of Omega bashers probably pure or best grade. I think I'm more into the brushes for collecting than the razors, lol. I have 3 good razors but brushes seem to be addictive. Who am I kidding, I'd love an Ikon slant! Brushes are cool though.

Hthomas likes this.
  13. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

My Kent BK-4 had a shedding problem. Then I found out I was the shedding problem. I was squeezing my brush to get rid of excess water right where the handle meets the brush. In essence, I was wedging the hairs out. When I moved it down to half-way, the problem ceased. I also dry on a towel and store upright on a stand.